Gaslow Repayment Calculator

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Addie, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Addie

Addie Deleted User

I put this spreadsheet together after having seen a lot of debate about Gaslow kits and how they have to pay for themselves in order to be viable.

If you can't justify the kit on the grounds of convenience alone then this might help with your decision.

http://www.europebycamper.com/2011/01/gaslow-payback-calculator.html

Welcome any comments on how it could be improved. :Smile:

A

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

We bought for convenience not savings, though savings were a bonus then, are there any now, not a lot.

The worst thing is filling stations getting stroppy, if we can't fill up it all goes tits up.

3. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

I know we paid more for our 'fixed tank' system,but,it was for convenience and to avoid the prob of Filling Stations getting all 'Job's Worth' Seems like I might have got something right-for once :BigGrin:

Mike.

4. david price

david price Read Only Funster

I fulltime and even in the bad spell we have just had with the heating and hot water on 24/7 i still only used 13kg every 8 weeks so it would take 7 or 8 years to break even.
    Dave

5. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

more about convenience than savings but you miss one thing in your calculations, (although I admire your enthusiasm on the subject). Wasted gas, this was the biggest thing for us. You go away, you come back, your not sure about how much gas you have left (MMM done a test and conclusion was no gas monitor up to the job) you then are left with decision, you go get a new bottle and you never realised you had 1/4 left any way.:Smile::Doh::Doh:

happened to me so so often, Im convinced im saving. but most of all Im happy, although I want a larger under slung tank/:cry:

6. Lynn ( Mrs Ash )

Lynn ( Mrs Ash ) Read Only Funster

Yes its more about convienence for me too , we rally alot without electric so we rely on the gas for our heating , its so much easier to fill up before we go then we have piece of mind that we are not going to run out :Smile:
    Were going skiing in Feb and as we will be using the gas on our travels we can fill up and head of up to resort knowing we have full bottles , its much easier than wondering have we or have we not got enough gas in our bottles to last :thumb:

7. sedge

sedge Funster

Well we spend weeks on end on various aires in France (about 10 weeks in 3 goes) and also on CL's here, a lot of which are sans EHU. We heat and cook with it Lynn! Not into BBQ's. I spose we wouldn't buy half as much gas as we ever did camping cos no wind - if you see what I mean - so it prolly doesn't save that much but imagine without a gauge, you'd prolly just get dug in at some rally and have to go out for ruddy gas.

Every time we went anywhere I'd just be paranoid ...... waiting for it to run out so I could say, I told you we should have nipped over to Pedleys before we left home ..... :Doh:

:Rofl1: :Rofl1: :Rofl1: :Rofl1: :Rofl1:

8. oldfozzie

oldfozzie Funster

GasLow payback

If you spend much time in Europe you would soon get fed up with not being able to get bottles to fit / having to carry all sorts of different gas bottles / regulators.
    At least with refillable you can alway fill up, even in Spain where LPG stations are like hens teeth.
    Definitely a convenience decision and not based on payback
    :thumb:

9. Addie

Addie Deleted User

Thanks for the feedback guys :Smile:

10. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

We went for Gaslow because our heating and boiler is diesel-fired and we have a single cylinder locker. If we were abroad and ran out of gas, we'd be looking for a local cylinder and adapters to keep cooking and running our fridge! We splashed out for all the filling adapters with our Gaslow kit to ensure piece of mind! Our filler will dock onto everything from a GPL pump in France to the European Space Station!:BigGrin:
    Autogas is getting pricey now, so it's hard to argue for Gaslow on a cost only basis we reckon!