Gaslow Gauge

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Hobbyhorse, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Hobbyhorse

Hobbyhorse Read Only Funster

I recently had a local dealer install the first bottle of a projected 2 bottle (11kg) Gaslow set-up. It filled fine but sadly the contents gauge registers empty. Its definitely full of gas. The dealer was very apologetic and advised that this is a common issue with Gaslow bottles and is a fault inside. They will change the bottle when I have used the gas. A bit disaapointing when I have forked out a hefty sum for the installation. However how can I know the next bottle will not be the same? (rhetorical!)

:Sad:Has anyone else had the same experience? Have Gaslow said anything? is there any alternative to having to wait till the bottles empty?

2. drago35uk

drago35uk Funster

When I first filled mine it registered empty. But after driving about 100 miles the bumps must have freed it up and it registered full. That was 3 years ago and it's been fine ever since.

• Like Like x 1
  3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

no alternative !

you cant decant the fuel from a full to an empty tank as the internal pressure would equalise at the half way point and you end up with two half full bottles.

not sure how the Gaslow gauge works but if its purely mechanical (not pressure related) it can jam.

4. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Yes it is common to stick on first fill, it will rectify itself after a bit of driving. As has been said :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  5. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

In my experience the Gaslow clip on guages serve only as an indicative glance. Full seems to register for ever, then you look again and it reads empty.

6. Techno

Yes you simply need to understand how the gauge functions and gaslow provide a very clear information card with pictures to demonstrate how to interpret it. Most people either lose it or discard it and then wonder why it doesn't show what they expect.

Illustration here
    http://www.gaslow.co.uk/pages/c_s2_4.htm

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Roryboys Dad

Roryboys Dad Read Only Funster

The first time we filled the Gaslow bottle the gauge stayed on empty until we had been out for a run in the MH.

The gauge, well mine at least, seems not to fit very well and sometimes got dislodged and needed jiggling about until it registers full.

I got p*ssed off with it and decided to put a drop of super glue on the back of the clip and stuck it to the valve.

It's worked perfectly well ever since.

:france::france::france:

8. Techno

Yes the plastic clips break. Mine is tie wrapped on.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  9. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

I'm sure I've read somewhere that the gauges may not work on the first fill, but will be fine after that, but can't find it at the moment. Someone may be able to help out with that.

As has been pointed out via the illustrations posted, the gauge only monitors the last 50% left in the bottle, that's why it seems to drop so quickly.

10. Hobbyhorse

Thanks Drago 35 . I took the MH out for a weekend ad lo! - the gauge suddenly sprang to life and registered full. Clearly unrepaired winter potholes have a use!
    Lets hope it continues as yours has.:Smile:

11. Hobbyhorse

I'm inclined to agree - the gauge is pretty flimsy and falls oiff easily - I'll bear in mind te super glue option. Thanks Roryboys Dad:thumb: