gas tank

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by peter125, Feb 13, 2013.

1. peter125

peter125 Read Only Funster

Hello all, im thinking of getting a gas tank instead of using gas bottles, for cooking and heating, this would free up my gas locker for storage, does any one know what the cost might be,and if this is a good or bad idea,Regards Peter:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  2. happypre65

happypre65 Funster

Hi,We have always had gas tanks, no fuss or hassle,just fill up as normal from pump,and away,if you intend to go away for long spells 2 months or more just get the largest tank you can,cost i am not sure,but i use my van most weekends winter and summer,cooking and heating on and i spend roughly £75 pounds per year,hope this helps,regards H.:BigGrin:

3. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

I have a 55 litre underslung tank and its brilliant, not just the saving money but the ease of pulling into a petrol station and filling up.
    If you can afford it, do it :youbetcha:

4. flatpackchicken

flatpackchicken Funster Life Member

Good idea mate, just 1 thing, be cery careful of your loading variations, and the gross or mass weight, extra weight of tank (although may be same as 2 bottles) and extra gas. as you dont want overload your gross weight or axle weights, all adds up so be very careful as overweight means NO INSURANCE if involved in accident, and upsets your breaking on axles. I have 2 11kg alugas botttles that hold about 41lts of gas, and a filler on outside of van in the skirting and just pull into gge and fill up and go, so silmple and easy, just like having a tank really, Best of luck with whatever you decide, Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

5. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

6. icantremember

icantremember Funster

We had ours fitted by Autogas2000 near Thirsk and can only say that we had great service by very knowledgeable company.

The result now is that we don't have to wait for a bottle to empty before topping up the tank with much cheaper lpg and we have a visible contents gauge in the cab.

P.S. Autogas are in a beautiful area well worth spending a few days, on Chris's recommendation we stayed overnight at a local pub with great food.
    We have kept the original regulator plumbed in the gas locker so it's always available to carry bottles as well if needed but normally we have a very useful extra locker.

As far as cost goes just give Chris a call at Autogas who will be happy to explain everything to you.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  7. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

We have an 85 litre LPG underslung tank and that freed our gas locker where we now have 3 x 110Ah batteries and a 2Kw inverter housed instead. Still room for some UHU cables as well.

The tank was originally mis-fitted by MTH, a reputable (recommended in MMM) "cowboy" in the Forest of Dene. Autogas2000 at Thirk refitted it for us correctly. I recommend them to anyone.

John

• Like Like x 2
  8. busby

busby Funster

Cost me just over £600 to have one fitted to my Starburst in 2009. BUSBY.