Gas On While Driving (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I think the Truma safety device is good (I don't have one as it happens) but I wonder if it can lead to a false feeling of security.

The safety valve will ONLY cut off supply down stream of the device. If you have an accident in which the gas cylinders separate from the valve then gas will escape!

The safest place to have these valves is directly on top of each cylinder.

Having said all this, it can not be a bad thing to have one...... but how much safer is it really?

At the end of the day the safest way is to turn off the gas at the cylinder valve before driving. How many of us really do that? :cautious:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I must go and have a look to see if Ihave one fitted or not.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
On ours you have to select 12v/230v/Gas on the front of the fridge, so there's no way it's going to switch itself to 12v and switch the gas off when the engine's on.

If you remove the lower vent grille you can see the exposed flame burning when it's on gas, and it's easy to blow it out, so if the gas is on when driving it's bound to be repeatedly reigniting, which means you're adding a spark to the mix as well, and wearing out your gas ignition.

Consequently I always turn the gas off when driving, and when crossing the channel. I also turn the gas off at the cylinder valve. You wouldn't light a candle when pulled up next to a petrol pump so why do the same with your fridge?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
20150613_081745.jpg
So no green knob so looks like I dont have one.
Where should I put it or do I need to buy two?

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
hya some times the wind on site will blow faster than you can travel but fridge stays on ???

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
So no green knob so looks like I dont have one.
Where should I put it or do I need to buy two?

The Truma crash sensing regulator replaces your existing bulkhead regulator (silver thingy on wall)

there are two models.. one for a single bottle .. and one for twin bottles which has auto changeover..

You could fit the single if you don't need or want auto changeover..

Link Removed

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
hya some times the wind on site will blow faster than you can travel but fridge stays on ???
Not in my experience. A real blast of wind against the fridge side of the van has blown it out a few times now

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Nearly fell off my chair looking at that price. :eek:@chockswahay . Will stick to buying the one with the link around £14
Thx though.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Nearly fell off my chair looking at that price. :eek:@chockswahay . Will stick to buying the one with the link around £14
Thx though.
Haha :eek: I do agree! Just looked at the link and it looks good......... you will need two tho (y)

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Makes far more sense to have them directly on the bottle.
Don't forget your hard hat when your fitting them!(y)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Thx though.
It gets worse !! I have had two of them and both have failed after a couple of years.. The filter in the inlet is far too fine and clogs up

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I think the Truma safety device is good (I don't have one as it happens) but I wonder if it can lead to a false feeling of security.

The safety valve will ONLY cut off supply down stream of the device. If you have an accident in which the gas cylinders separate from the valve then gas will escape!

The safest place to have these valves is directly on top of each cylinder.

Having said all this, it can not be a bad thing to have one...... but how much safer is it really?

At the end of the day the safest way is to turn off the gas at the cylinder valve before driving. How many of us really do that? :cautious:

Thats where the first stage of the secumotion system is. The small green button immediately the hose connects to the bottle, these shut off in the event of loss of pressure in the system. The second stage is the button on the regulator itself.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
It gets worse !! I have had two of them and both have failed after a couple of years.. The filter in the inlet is far too fine and clogs up
Now how am I meant to "Like" that post :unsure:

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Risk management ? Turned the tap OFF at the distribution switches, for the BBQ point that is located at the rear n/side of the van in case of side swipe or "Driver error ? LOL" Reading this,the rest of the system is charged/full/live ooops. Our first van had an electric switch just by the side door,that would switch the gas off at the tank,very easy to do,think i will have to price this up.
To get to the underslung tank,means laying flat out alongside,taking off a metal cover and shutting the valve.......... Sometimes in the rain,now where can i get a switch from....LOL.
Will go back to,"Gas all off" while travelling,when switch fitted,result.
Tea Bag

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Always travel with gas on. Use fridge on gas while travelling and in winter have heating on as well.
All our RVs were just gas or mains so no choice and use the Hymer the same way. Do turn the fridge off when fueling but back on soon as we leave garage.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Can't believe what I am reading on here, how long does it take to turn a gas bottle off ?
Its a no brainer as far as I am concerned, maybe having been on a few fire marshal courses I have been brainwashed.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Daft question time.

I have a British built MH, an AutoTrail, which switches off the habitation systems when the engine is started.
The fridge is an AES type and reverts to 12 volts, I believe from the engine battery, and nothing else in the habitation side should be working as all the controls turn off.
Am I correct in thinking that those that can keep the fridge on gas, and run the gas heating, have continental built MHs or have modified their Brit built ones to operate the habition side whilst on the move ?
Am I wrong in my assumption that it is not possible in a Brit built MH ?
I must admit that I turn the gas off at the bottles and have never actually tried to run the heating, or anything else, when moving.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Can't believe what I am reading on here, how long does it take to turn a gas bottle off ?
Its a no brainer as far as I am concerned, maybe having been on a few fire marshal courses I have been brainwashed.

I doubt a company like Truma would design and advertise a product like Secumotion, or that the majority of continental motorhome manufacturers would fit it it wasn't proved safe. Especially given the fallout if it did prove not to be so. Perhaps the instructors on your courses hadn't heard of it.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the bottle top cut off valves in my view are the safeest.
as for fridges many are just working on gas . not 12v or 240v . even if you have the very latest it doesnt turn the gas off at the bottle . should the pipe break away from the connection on bottle or a pipe up the line fracture gas would come out
to me even the secumotion isnt as good as the bottle top valve .
there isnt as far as i know any ruling or law that says uk vans or any country vans must have a shut off valve.
modern so called safety does seem to blind many of whats really happening .

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
We left ours on by accident once when crossing the Pont du Normandie in a near gale and driving rain resulting in horrible smell of gas . It took ages to get the fridge working again on gas so now we double check that it is turned off every time when setting off .

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
I doubt a company like Truma would design and advertise a product like Secumotion, or that the majority of continental motorhome manufacturers would fit it it wasn't proved safe. Especially given the fallout if it did prove not to be so. Perhaps the instructors on your courses hadn't heard of it.
Not everyone has Secumotion.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Daft question time.

I have a British built MH, an AutoTrail, which switches off the habitation systems when the engine is started.
The fridge is an AES type and reverts to 12 volts, I believe from the engine battery, and nothing else in the habitation side should be working as all the controls turn off.
Am I correct in thinking that those that can keep the fridge on gas, and run the gas heating, have continental built MHs or have modified their Brit built ones to operate the habition side whilst on the move ?
Am I wrong in my assumption that it is not possible in a Brit built MH ?
I must admit that I turn the gas off at the bottles and have never actually tried to run the heating, or anything else, when moving.

You have the same system we had in our Arapaho, the sophisticated management system, (isn`t that a contradiction in terms)? will select the best option for running the fridge, so when disconnected from the mains it would switch to gas, then when engine started it would switch to 12v.
The 12v option had been disconnected on ours, so always run on gas, as for the habitation heating yes in winter we always run with the heating on, it`s a big space with lots of cold air heading for the cab, as most commercial vans the cab heater is next to useless, so much so we are thinking of having an eberspacher diesel heater fitted.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I gather all those who turn off gas drive flintstone cars or horse and carts ?

Impacted diesel and petrol is fairly flammable in my experience...
Similar observations can be made on all sorts of risk situations. My view is why add to the minimum risk level if it can be easily avoided (as in the minute it takes to turn off the gas).

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
You have the same system we had in our Arapaho, the sophisticated management system, (isn`t that a contradiction in terms)? will select the best option for running the fridge, so when disconnected from the mains it would switch to gas, then when engine started it would switch to 12v.
The 12v option had been disconnected on ours, so always run on gas, as for the habitation heating yes in winter we always run with the heating on, it`s a big space with lots of cold air heading for the cab, as most commercial vans the cab heater is next to useless, so much so we are thinking of having an eberspacher diesel heater fitted.

I understand how the fridge system works but hadn't realised that the gas system would still work with the engine running.
I thought that everything turned off when the engine was started, gas and electric.
You learn summat new every day.
Thanks (y)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
We left ours on by accident once when crossing the Pont du Normandie in a near gale and driving rain resulting in horrible smell of gas . It took ages to get the fridge working again on gas so now we double check that it is turned off every time when setting off .
if the flame blows out it should have a thermo coupling that stops the gas going into the fridge burner.
might be a good idea to get it checked out.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Similar observations can be made on all sorts of risk situations. My view is why add to the minimum risk level if it can be easily avoided (as in the minute it takes to turn off the gas).

Which is equally as valid as my view of course, life is absolutely full of risks.. And is really far to short to spend a cumulative several months worrying about every detail :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back