Gas it or gaslow or safefill (1 Viewer)

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
anyone got any ideas on the above ,got 2 calor 6kg atm going to Spain and would probably need a refillable type to be on the safe side.

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Limousin France & Yorkshire UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
Alternatively get a Spanish exchange bottle (deposit required, maybe €25) from a Spanish campsite.

You might even find LPG can be cheaper that way in Spain. Last week I exchanged a 14 kg bottle for €17, which is less than £1/litre being charged at petrol stations near my campsite.

You also might pick one up at a street market for a song - I think we gave €10 for ours - as they are in common everyday use across Spain.

Upvote 1

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
As above. Gas It as it was cheaper. Local LPG supplier stated they would not fill Safefill when asked.

Upvote 1

Stealaway

Free Member
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
As above. Gas It as it was cheaper. Local LPG supplier stated they would not fill Safefill when asked.
No Asda - Morrisons have had any problems filling Safefill bottles. I've yet to have a problem in Europe getting them filled.
Because they are made from high spec fibre glass they must be the lightest bottles on the market.

Upvote 1
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Upvote 1

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Always alternate between the 2 cylinders as the construction / function of the fill stop valve requires a tiny bleed hole .
Unfortunately this means that over time every fill will add a tiny amount of liquid State LPG , you will eventually overfill the unused cylinder .

With the auto changeover, if I leave the cylinder I’ve been using all the time closed, will it just automatically open on the other cylinder if I only open that one? 🤔

Upvote 1

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
It's a matter of what would work best for yourself.
We've got Safefill as we've got an LPG retailer close to home but motorhome is stored elsewhere so Safefill out and taken to refill place.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I chose Gaslow for the quality of their hoses - s/steel braided ones rather than unsheathed Gasit ones.
I kept one 6kg Calor and fitted a 6kg Gaslow - both permanently connected. I've found one cylinder is plenty abroad where LPG refill pumps are plentiful but if caught out I can switch temporarily to the Calor, although in 9 years I've never had to do that and I only tour abroad.
2018-04-21 Gas locker connections 002.JPG

2018-04-21 Gas locker connections 003.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

I2C

Feb 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2000
Gas it for me, and bottles so that we can swap/take with us if/when we swap the van.

I thought Safefil was only uk based so no good abroad but I could be wrong there.

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
For a motorhome I would go with Gasit. I wanted a Safefill but none in stock until march/april.

Upvote 0

Stealaway

Free Member
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Gas it for me, and bottles so that we can swap/take with us if/when we swap the van.

I thought Safefil was only uk based so no good abroad but I could be wrong there.

You can simply take Safefill bottles out of the van just like regular bottles when you sell the van.
You can take them to the garage in in your car or van and re-fill them any where in Europe with the correct adapter.
Download - myLPG.eu app - for your nearest LPG filling station

• Informative
Reactions: I2C
Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Gasit because they are cheaper than gaslow.
I would have gone underslung but the Ford doesnt have a lot of options bar removing the spare wheel

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The problem with Safefill is they are only a single hole bottle so can't be plumbed to an external fill point so can cause problems when filling. Also defeats one of the main objects of refillable bottles that is not having to lug heavy gas bottles about.
We have 2 x 14kg Alugas bottles.

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
If it's only Spain your visiting then I would buy a s/hand bottle when you get there. Often sold on campsite noticeboards, Facebook groups etc.. gas exchange is far cheaper in Spain. Less than €15 I think for 13kg.
If you have calor butane now then all you need is the spanish "jumbo adaptor" sold on eBay and web sites if you have propane bottles then you also need a butane pigtail. Far easier way of doing it without all the expense.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
If it's only Spain your visiting then I would buy a s/hand bottle when you get there. Often sold on campsite noticeboards, Facebook groups etc.. gas exchange is far cheaper in Spain. Less than €15 I think for 13kg.
If you have calor butane now then all you need is the spanish "jumbo adaptor" sold on eBay and web sites if you have propane bottles then you also need a butane pigtail. Far easier way of doing it without all the expense.
Hi Tonka, got propane ATM Spain this year maybe France next so a refillable might be the best in the long run also it will work out cheaper to refill here.

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Hi Tonka, got propane ATM Spain this year maybe France next so a refillable might be the best in the long run also it will work out cheaper to refill here.
👍. I have 2 X 10kg safefill, suits me as I have local filling station only 1 mile away take them in car and fill before trips.

All options have the pros and cons I guess. We used the Spanish bottles for years. I carried one of the jumbo adaptors and pigtails so I had the flexibility in case we needed them.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
I originally setup to use 11kg gaslow and a 6kg calor. I bought a calor clip on adaptor and have been using old bottles in stock. I am currently using a 15kg butane (been in shed for years the heater long gone).

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You can easily mix and match the cylinders and fittings to suit your own needs, installation etc as there's no need to get all the kit from one company.

I'd go with whatever is available at a good price (Gas-it or Gaslow) for the cylinders and then get the braided hoses (Gaslow) and the small square filler (Gas-it) as it's easier to install.

It only makes sense though to go the refillable route if you're gonna benefit from it - if your usage of gas is generally low then it's likely not worth the expense other than for the convenience of not lugging bottles around.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
So all in all you take 3 bottles with you , do you keep the spare bottle in your gas locker or rear locker/garage, thought it was not recommended to carry one in rear locker .

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
So all in all you take 3 bottles with you , do you keep the spare bottle in your gas locker or rear locker/garage, thought it was not recommended to carry one in rear locker .
It's not something I would do personally but some take them for BBQs etc anyway, if I was doing so I'd sit it in a plastic tub taller than the bottle, the tub would be permanently 'stuck' to the floor of the garage and sealed all round the base with a drop vent going right through the tub and the garage floor.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
The initial outlay for re-fillable bottles may be a hurdle for some people and if you are only visiting a single country, you could be better off using that country's exchange bottles. However should you enjoy travelling to other countries, there can be little argument that re- fillable bottles are the way to go. Does it matter which make? They all use the same gas.

Upvote 0

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
The initial outlay for re-fillable bottles may be a hurdle for some people and if you are only visiting a single country, you could be better off using that country's exchange bottles. However should you enjoy travelling to other countries, there can be little argument that re- fillable bottles are the way to go. Does it matter which make? They all use the same gas.
I don’t agree with your statement that there can be no argument that refillable cylinders are the way to go. An underslung tank creates an empty locker, usually holds more gas, always has an external filling point, is very easy to fill up in various countries by having a few adapters and lowers the van’s centre of gravity. This to me at least makes underslung the way to go.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
I'm with Minxy with the mix and match concept I have the Gaslow bottle (cheaper at time ) and so called better meter than Gasit, but bought gasit pipes and filler to fit inside cupboard for a quick fix ( intention to later put stainless in skirt mounted) and also got a set up to run from BBQ point. IF spending time in spain dont take 2nd bottle in my case Calor but save space for a forign bottle. The alternative to a thousand alternatives is the underslung tank. You takes your money and makes your choice (or your payload or need for space makes the choice).
ps how much gas have you got?
i use Mopeka ultrasonic gauges (i found the Gaslow one to be next to pointless)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back