Gas cylinders warning after campers in Gwynedd burned

Discussion in 'Motorhomes in the News' started by ShiftZZ, Aug 14, 2012.

  1. ShiftZZ

    ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2008
    Messages:
    19,821
    Likes Received:
    35,885
    Location:
    Leicestershire
    Two people have suffered serious burns while using gas cylinders in separate incidents at camp sites in north Wales.

    A man in his 30s suffered burns to his arms and knees after trying to change a gas cylinder while another was alight at a site in Morfa Bychan, Gwynedd.

    A woman, 40, is also being treated for burns to her face and neck after using a cylinder on top of a grill at Shell Island, Gwynedd, on Sunday.

    Both are being treated at Whiston Hospital, Merseyside.

    Dave Evans, of North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said: "Thankfully, the injuries received are not life threatening but both people have suffered serious burns which could have been avoided with a little extra care.

    "We are concerned that people using gas cylinders or lighting a camp fire need to take the greatest of care.

    "Try to avoid lighting an open fire. Be responsible and use a proper camping stove and if using flammable liquids, follow the safety instructions, especially when refilling.

    "Never leave naked flames unattended."


    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-19240934
     
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Hollyberry

    Hollyberry Funster

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2011
    Messages:
    3,790
    Likes Received:
    7,356
    Location:
    Paignton, Devon.
    A woman, 40, is also being treated for burns to her face and neck [HI]after using a cylinder on top of a grill [/HI]at Shell Island, Gwynedd, on Sunday.


    What on earth would she have been doing?

    I turn the gas off if I go out and leave the animals alone. Just in case they decide to cook a curry or light their fags from a gas flame. :Wink:
     
  3. ojibway

    ojibway Funster

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2012
    Messages:
    530
    Likes Received:
    298
    Location:
    Eastbourne
    We were at Dennis Farm campsite, Padstow earlier this year.
    We heard a loud bang and a shriek (and a woof)!

    A lady in a tent was cooking on a portable suitcase stove (the one with gas cannisters). But she had left it in the case whilst cooking and it overheated cuasing the cannister exploded.
    Luckily the only damage was to her nerves and the pan support bit landed on her dog:Eeek:
     
  4. johnp10

    johnp10 Funster

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2009
    Messages:
    7,638
    Likes Received:
    14,190
    Location:
    North Lincolnshire
    Not all locked up yet, are they?

    Doesnt matter what safety advice is given, where the application of common sense is concerned you cant take account of crass stupidity.
     
    • Like Like x 1
  5. laneside

    laneside Funster

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2009
    Messages:
    3,490
    Likes Received:
    5,289
    Location:
    Oradour sur Vayres


    Yep it is because of these sort of people that the H & S was believed to be necessary and just what difference does it make-------not one jot, they are born to be stupid
     
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ShiftZZ

    ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2008
    Messages:
    19,821
    Likes Received:
    35,885
    Location:
    Leicestershire
    Sad part is that the hospital is over 100 miles from where the accisent happened...
     
Loading...

Share This Page