May 19, 2017
Melksham, Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Fiat Benimar Aereo 6000cc
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello everyone,

I am a complete newbie to motorhoming and am just in the process of getting my Fiat Benimar set up and ready to venture into the great unknown! I am undecided on which method of gas to use; I have looked at various options, Gaslow, Calor, Calor Lite etc. My vehicle only has space for a 6kg bottle (I think). I would like to look at Calor Lite, but availability of these seems to be limited; at least via the Calor site.

Would be most grateful for any advice on the best for affordability, weight and flexibility etc....

Many thanks indeed,

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I'm sure I read somewhere on here that calor lite was no longer available. We are new to this as well and gas was something we worried about too. We have two 6kg calor bottles. We have been away 20 days in total and are still using no 1 bottle. We have an oven and use the out side bbq point. I hope this might give you an idea.
We have not used gas for heating.
I don't think that is typical that is very light useage. Our fridge freezer uses more than that. Our late summer usage is about 28Lt/14kg in 18-20 days, hardly any heating but hot water every morning for showers, and quite a bit of cooking done on a single burner outside using throw away cartridges.

Edit: Just noticed this is quite an old thread.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
my instinct was to go with the original plan but thought more experienced Spanish travellers may have had other ideas.
Thanks for your thoughts.:D
getting a spanish bottle and using your 7kg uk for back up is ideal.
spanish bottles are easy to exchange every village etc usually has a place to swap. or the gas bottle trucks are about.
use some parcel scales to keep a watch on the little bottle .
ideally leave spain with a full bottle as its cheaper than uk.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
At this time of year I can easily go through 11kg of gas in 5 days if using heating etc
Costs less than a tenner to fill that but calle bottle would be nearer £30
I fitted 2 refillable 11kg bottles back in September..i reckon I've recouped a third of that cost back already

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We have only space for 1 bottle so refillable means we can top up rather than either swap when still part full or risk running out the best thing we spent money on and compared to a lot of stuff people buy for the m/h cheap

Upvote 0

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
Word of warning re Calor bottles - they do not always seal with the adapter and leak in varying degrees

Mine hissed like crazy so I was just left with having to find a replacement for my spare bottle at short notice ( the whole point of having a spare.)

Other funsters have had similar problems one in particular was a minor leak so when he got back from pub Moho was full of gas.

I now have a spare adapter with a blocked off pipe to take to stockist to check bottles before I take them.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Threads like this are why I decided to specify a MH with a diesel Truma boiler and a compressor fridge (also 2 leisure batteries). The gas locker holds only one Calor bottle but it is just for the kitchen hob. The Calor bottle should reach empty in about 2025. :xsmile:

Upvote 0
Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
I don't think that is typical that is very light useage. Our fridge freezer uses more than that. Our late summer usage is about 28Lt/14kg in 18-20 days, hardly any heating but hot water every morning for showers, and quite a bit of cooking done on a single burner outside using throw away cartridges.

Edit: Just noticed this is quite an old thread.
Perhaps I should clarify. We have only ever been on EHU and our oven also has an an electric hot plate and we use the site's facilities etc.

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We just refilled our Gaslow bottle (we have 2) in France (Yvetot) 15 litres @ .695€ per litre = €10.425.
A refillable system is cheaper in the long run and cheaper & easier in France!

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think he may have sorted it ... that was from May 2017 ... :D

Upvote 0
Apr 30, 2017
Blisland Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 752
Exp
Owners since 2017
Just come home from our first real trip in our van and thought we would add our bit to this thread. We have been given two blue butane gas bottles by friends (7Kg) and put them tidily away in their proper places and headed off to Longleat for the night before going on to Essex. When I went to connect the gas, I found that it had a propane pigtail and not butane. Luckily, when we got to Essex, we found a camping supplies place within 1 mile of where we were staying so we thought great we would get a coupler. After looking on line we saw that we needed a butane clip on valve for the bottle. So they had one of those and then we were looking for the adapter to go from the propane pigtail to the butane connector only to find that they don't make one and you have to change the pigtail! We felt like a couple of real numpties asking for an adapter!! After being put right, we bought the correct hose and fitting it was easy so we had gas at last.
Just shows how little we know and how much we need to find out about. Still, had a great time and loving the experience of our first van.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Just come home from our first real trip in our van and thought we would add our bit to this thread. We have been given two blue butane gas bottles by friends (7Kg) and put them tidily away in their proper places and headed off to Longleat for the night before going on to Essex. When I went to connect the gas, I found that it had a propane pigtail and not butane. Luckily, when we got to Essex, we found a camping supplies place within 1 mile of where we were staying so we thought great we would get a coupler. After looking on line we saw that we needed a butane clip on valve for the bottle. So they had one of those and then we were looking for the adapter to go from the propane pigtail to the butane connector only to find that they don't make one and you have to change the pigtail! We felt like a couple of real numpties asking for an adapter!! After being put right, we bought the correct hose and fitting it was easy so we had gas at last.
Just shows how little we know and how much we need to find out about. Still, had a great time and loving the experience of our first van.
shame you didnt know before hand . but hamiltons do just about every adaptor anyone would ever need .https://gasproducts.co.uk/gas-regulators/cylinder-adaptors-connectors.html
butane to propane is on top row.
35mm adaptor and the butane -propane is the ideal way to convert to spanish bottles .

Upvote 0
Apr 30, 2017
Blisland Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 752
Exp
Owners since 2017
Yes it is a shame as they told me that they don't make one but at least we are sorted now. May still pick one up as we intend to go abroad this year.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back