Garmin sat av co-ordinates

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by adriacoral, Aug 21, 2014.

1. adriacoral

adriacoral Read Only Funster

Hi just had amazing month travelling through France ,Germany,Austria,Slovenia,Croatia and Italy!
    Bought a new Garmin satnav before we left as our old tomtom had become unreliable.
    We used to put in coordinates in the Tom Tom from our aires book and it would direct us straight to an aire with no problems.
    Decided to use coords with Garmin however not so easy.
    Main problem I have is we used the German stellplatz book to find stellplatz and tried to use their co ords but it would take us to the area but not directly. What co ord system do the Germans use, as it seems different to ours? Ie 2 digits instead of 3 etc
    Anyone had similar experience?

2. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

There a number of different coordinate systems in use, decimal, minutes and seconds are normal but there are variations. The garmin should have a menu where you can choose a suitable format to match what you have got.

3. longdog

longdog Funster

From memory, with my Garmin, a Zumo 550 for the record, you have the choice of several different formats for the co-ords.

On my Zumo it is....

Where to? - then I scroll with the down arrow to the 2nd screen and tap on Coordinates.

When I tap on this, I have to option to enter co-ords and Back, Format and Next on the bottom of the screen.

Choose Format and I have a whole list of different formats to choose from

Hope it is helpful to you?

4. iandsm

iandsm Funster

You can easily change the settings for inputting coordinates, loo at you user manual, or if you haven't got one you can download one online but here is a little bit of info,

"
    Finding a Location Using Coordinates

You can find a location using latitude and longitude coordinates. This can be helpful when geocaching.

1 Select Where To? > Categories > Coordinates.2 If necessary, select , and change the coordinate format or

datum.3 Select the latitude coordinate.4 Enter the new coordinate, and select Done. 5 Select the longitude coordinate.6 Enter the new coordinate, and select Done. 7 Select View on Map."

5. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Just go to the Format option when in Coordinates and choose the one you want Simples! (y)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Leftlegger

Leftlegger Funster

I use a nuvi also and confirm choose coordinates then format,to change the format

7. adriacoral

Thanks all, but I don't have a problem of how to use co-ords but for eg in my stellplatz book it might say 12 but gives me space for 3 digits, I automatically think 012 but that sends me somewhere else, difficult to explain!?????? There are different types of co-ords, so what do Germany use?

8. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

If it only gives you two digits then put a zero on the end. As it is a decimal it will make no difference. Put on as many zeros as you like. (y)

So, 0.12 is the same as 0.120 or 0.12000000000000000000000000

9. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

Sat nav is alright up to a point. We have been led astray too many times and now we use the old fashioned maps until near to our destination. We then use Satnav at the last knockings. This works much better for us, and post codes are next to useless in France.

10. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Not having the Stellplatz book can you post an example of one of these entries? Three digits makes sense if this is for longitude as it is measured from 0 to 180 degrees, either as E or W or + or -. For example, -002 is the same as W002. Which one your satnav wants is defined in the setup menu as described above.

11. Stacetop

Stacetop Funster

We have had the exact same problem with the Bordatlas, you are right that the nearest format on the Garmin has an extra space. I think we tried both options at the time but again we were unsure what to enter! I will watch this post with interest!!
    The all the aires book has them in a garmin friendly format so we have had no real problems in France but in Germany we did!

12. adriacoral

Thank god it's not just me then lol!
    All the aires book is fine only bordatlas we had problems with!we use maps also but sometimes it's easier with satnav( but not Garmin!)
    Devonbeekeeper I will get the book out tomorrow to try to give an example, thanks for trying to help!

• Like Like x 1