Garmin camper 895 again, I'm afraid (1 Viewer)

Feb 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Globestar 640dk
I've posted about this thing before and your answers were all very helpful. I then gave it and my brain a rest for a bit but tried using it again yesterday in familiar surroundings but in a different direction to test it.
1 in the outward journey i wanted it to give me cafes. It gave me one or two and missed all the ones in a small town half a kilometer to the west of the bypass we were on!
Two of the options it gave were on the otherside of a firth where the low mileage to them was obvious it thought the ferry was running. It only does so in June July and August! If I hadn't known I'd have gone more than ten miles out of my way instead of to a selection of cafes in the small town.
2 it said the only street leading to a beach carpark and a campsite was unknown for campervans even though there is campervan parking down there. i couldn't get it to route me to it.
3 on the way home I tried to put in cafes. It missed one that's been existent for 20years right at the roadside.
4 it came up with narrow road alerts when there weren't or which were side roads that were of no relevance anyway.
5 it said things like 'turn right then turn left' which was misleading as it should have said 2nd left or in half a mile turn left. I'd have gone all the way to an industrial estate had I not known.

If Garmin hasn't got access to the same level of information as Google what on earth are the benefits of this £500 machine. How on earth can I trust it outside my home area?

I didn't think i was a complete idiot with computers but I'm not finding it at all intuitive and the instructions are very thin. And more to the point, how do I sort the issues examples above?

Any help appreciated!
Thanks

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
I've posted about this thing before and your answers were all very helpful. I then gave it and my brain a rest for a bit but tried using it again yesterday in familiar surroundings but in a different direction to test it.
1 in the outward journey i wanted it to give me cafes. It gave me one or two and missed all the ones in a small town half a kilometer to the west of the bypass we were on!
Two of the options it gave were on the otherside of a firth where the low mileage to them was obvious it thought the ferry was running. It only does so in June July and August! If I hadn't known I'd have gone more than ten miles out of my way instead of to a selection of cafes in the small town.
2 it said the only street leading to a beach carpark and a campsite was unknown for campervans even though there is campervan parking down there. i couldn't get it to route me to it.
3 on the way home I tried to put in cafes. It missed one that's been existent for 20years right at the roadside.
4 it came up with narrow road alerts when there weren't or which were side roads that were of no relevance anyway.
5 it said things like 'turn right then turn left' which was misleading as it should have said 2nd left or in half a mile turn left. I'd have gone all the way to an industrial estate had I not known.

If Garmin hasn't got access to the same level of information as Google what on earth are the benefits of this £500 machine. How on earth can I trust it outside my home area?

I didn't think i was a complete idiot with computers but I'm not finding it at all intuitive and the instructions are very thin. And more to the point, how do I sort the issues examples above?

Any help appreciated!
Thanks

You now know why I sold mine on eBay.....

Sorry I do know that isn't much help but I find Google Maps supplemented with a truckers atlas for certain situations far superior, even when towing the 'van.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

Perhaps some of them are categorised as Restaurants.

It didn’t think the ferry was running. It will identify POIs by distance as the crow flies. Only if you select a POI will it plot a route that will then show you the distance required to drive to that location.

The ‘roads’ that it recognises as being suitable depends on the user defined preferences. If the road wasn’t adopted or is categorised as ‘unmade’ then it’s entirely possible that it couldn’t plot a route for you. You have to ensure that YOU set your ‘User preferences’ appropriately.

Presumably you defined your vehicle dimensions correctly (using the correct units)?

It’s instructions in terms of turns is dependent on road priorities. For example a right angle bend is not a right turn. If that right hand bend has a minor road going straight ahead and you wish to take that minor road directly in front of you as you approach that right hand bend, the sat nav will instruct you to ‘left turn ahead’ even though the minor road is straight in front of you. That’s because the major road has priority and you are leaving the road and joining the minor road to the left of the major road.

The sat nav operates based on a set of logical rules. You need to understand that principle and recognise where your ‘intelligent’ interpretation of the real world is at odds with those rules.

A common reason for routing issues arises when the user sets their route planning preferences to ‘shortest route’ and they're then surprised when it takes them down ‘unsuitable’ lanes. Had they set their route planning preference to ‘fastest route’ the sat nav wouldn’t have taken them down that ‘unsuitable’ lane.

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
A common reason for routing issues arises when the user sets their route planning preferences to ‘shortest route’ and they're then surprised when it takes them down ‘unsuitable’ lanes. Had they set their route planning preference to ‘fastest route’ the sat nav wouldn’t have taken them down that ‘unsuitable’ lane.
How true! I soon gave up that 'Shortest Route' option after several times sending me through twisting housing estate roads and numerous urban and suburban streets stuffed with parked cars and roadworks, aaargh!

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09

It didn’t think the ferry was running. It will identify POIs by distance as the crow flies. Only if you select a POI will it plot a route that will then show you the distance required to drive to that location.

The ‘roads’ that it recognises as being suitable depends on the user defined preferences. If the road wasn’t adopted or is categorised as ‘unmade’ then it’s entirely possible that it couldn’t plot a route for you. You have to ensure that YOU set your ‘User preferences’ appropriately.

Presumably you defined your vehicle dimensions correctly (using the correct units)?

It’s instructions in terms of turns is dependent on road priorities. For example a right angle bend is not a right turn. If that right hand bend has a minor road going straight ahead and you wish to take that minor road directly in front of you as you approach that right hand bend, the sat nav will instruct you to ‘left turn ahead’ even though the minor road is straight in front of you. That’s because the major road has priority and you are leaving the road and joining the minor road to the left of the major road.

The sat nav operates based on a set of logical rules. You need to understand that principle and recognise where your ‘intelligent’ interpretation of the real world is at odds with those rules.

Ian

Ian
Agree with Ian, one of the things you might want to try is the different voices, I noticed that when I got a sexy young lady I would be told of the turn 800m in advance, then I tried another sexy young lady and it was 400m for the warning.
I cant say what the male voices alert you to.

OP
OP
J
Feb 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Globestar 640dk
You now know why I sold mine on eBay.....

Sorry I do know that isn't much help but I find Google Maps supplemented with a truckers atlas for certain situations far superior, even when towing the 'van.
Very interesting. Do you find lane indications, especially on the continent easy to navigate in Google? That is my biggest apprehension.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
There are a couple of places where our Garmin advises us to exit left on motorways.

About 5 miles and at least two junctions before the actual junction it is routing us to.

Fortunately one of these is just after we leave home so we now expect it.

OP
OP
J
Feb 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Globestar 640dk

Ian
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my points. I'll check them all out!

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
Very interesting. Do you find lane indications, especially on the continent easy to navigate in Google? That is my biggest apprehension.

Not really a problem but like most sat navs I find in very busy areas it sometimes lags a bit and Ms. Google calls out directions a bit too late but it's never caused me a major problem. And it re routes incredibly quickly anyway if you go wrong.

I also find very occasionally when you set off on a journey the direction you are facing doesn't always correspond with what Google Maps thinks.

But my Garmin used to do that too.

OP
OP
J
Feb 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Globestar 640dk
How true! I soon gave up that 'Shortest Route' option after several times sending me through twisting housing estate roads and numerous urban and suburban streets stuffed with parked cars and roadworks, aaargh!
I'll check that out too. I saw a slider at one point where you could set length of time to a destination. Thinking about it, I haven't seen it since!😂

OP
OP
J
Feb 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Globestar 640dk
Not really but like most sat navs I find in very busy areas it sometimes lags a bit and Ms. Google calls out directions a bit too late but it's never caused me a major problem. And it re routes incredibly quickly anyway if you go wrong.
Ah, my idea of a nightmare. We find England hard coming from the sticks up north!

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my points. I'll check them all out!

You’re welcome. Most sat nav ‘issues’ are usually down to user error/lack of understanding of the available ‘features’.

Ian

OP
OP
J
Feb 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Globestar 640dk
Agree with Ian, one of the things you might want to try is the different voices, I noticed that when I got a sexy young lady I would be told of the turn 800m in advance, then I tried another sexy young lady and it was 400m for the warning.
I cant say what the male voices alert you to.
Never thought of that. I'll give that a go!

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I assumed that too so am trying to get to grips with its logic.

The main setting that I’d advocate that you get right is setting the default route planning preference to ‘Fastest’ and not ‘Shortest’ (or any of the other alternatives). 👍

Ian

OP
OP
J
Feb 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Globestar 640dk
Not really a problem but like most sat navs I find in very busy areas it sometimes lags a bit and Ms. Google calls out directions a bit too late but it's never caused me a major problem. And it re routes incredibly quickly anyway if you go wrong.

I also find very occasionally when you set off on a journey the direction you are facing doesn't always correspond with what Google Maps thinks.

But my Garmin used to do that too.
Haven't tested the Garmin yet in a busy urban area as there aren't any for 150 miles!😀

OP
OP
J
Feb 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Globestar 640dk
The main setting that I’d advocate that you get right is setting the default route planning preference to ‘Fastest’ and not ‘Shortest’ (or any of the other alternatives). 👍

Ian
Right. Will try that. Thanks.

OP
OP
J
Feb 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Globestar 640dk

Ian
Right. Will try that. Thanks

OP
OP
J
Feb 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Globestar 640dk
There are a couple of places where our Garmin advises us to exit left on motorways.

About 5 miles and at least two junctions before the actual junction it is routing us to.

Fortunately one of these is just after we leave home so we now expect it.
That's a strange one too

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Another thing to be aware of is that if your sat nav has built in traffic delay assessments it may ask you to take a local route that you know is not the fastest route. However, what you don't know, but the sat nav does know, is that their is a holdup ahead. If you have followed the sat nav directions you may be thinking ‘why the hell has it asked me to come this way, this is not the quickest way’ but what you don’t know is that the ‘normal ‘ route has a 10 minute delay on it hence why the sat nav diverted you onto the route that it did. Now, of course, you can never validate whether or not that 10 minute delay existed or not because you followed the sat nav’s directions but you should acknowledge that it is possible that the sat nav saved you 10 minutes.

I ALWAYS accept any diversionary route that the sat nav suggests, not only because it may have saved me being stuck in motorway traffic but also because it provided me with a variation to my default/normal route. I’m happy to place my trust in the technology and accept that, occasionally, I may be worse off but that’s a trade-off I’m prepared to make if it (even only once) saves me from being trapped in a motorway traffic jam that could last hours.

Ian

OP
OP
J
Feb 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Globestar 640dk
Another thing to be aware of is that if your sat nav has built in traffic delay assessments it may ask you to take a local route that you know is not the fastest route. However, what you don't know, but the sat nav does know, is that their is a holdup ahead. If you have followed the sat nav directions you may be thinking ‘why the hell has it asked me to come this way, this is not the quickest way’ but what you don’t know is that the ‘normal ‘ route has a 10 minute delay on it hence why the sat nav diverted you onto the route that it did. Now, of course, you can never validate whether or not that 10 minute delay existed or not because you followed the sat nav’s directions but you should acknowledge that it is possible that the sat nav saved you 10 minutes.

I ALWAYS accept any diversionary route that the sat nav suggests, not only because it may have saved me being stuck in motorway traffic but also because it provided me with a variation to my default/normal route. I’m happy to place my trust in the technology and accept that, occasionally, I may be worse off but that’s a trade-off I’m prepared to make if it (even only once) saves me from being trapped in a motorway traffic jam that could last hours.

Ian
Good points. So do you subscribe to the cyclops live traffic updates? Google maps does that pretty well for free, so I find having to pay a bit annoying, especially as we don't have easy access to the continent or England, living way up north.

Q

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Good points. So do you subscribe to the cyclops live traffic updates? Google maps does that pretty well for free, so I find having to pay a bit annoying, especially as we don't have easy access to the continent or England, living way up north.

Q

The Live Traffic service is included as part of my Tom Tom subscription.

Ian

OP
OP
J
Feb 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Globestar 640dk

Q

The Live Traffic service is included as part of my Tom Tom subscription.

Ian
Ah

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

Q
My older Garmin 760 has free lifetime Traffic. I had to buy a new power cable with a different Traffic receiver to continue to use this free service after the previous Traffic info provider ended its links to Garmin. Anyhow, it means that I still don't need an App on my phone with a subscription to get live traffic alerts. That App seems to be the current way Garmin expects users of later models to get live traffic info. By the time I reach a piece of road flagged up as a 10 minute delay it often will have cleared. I can live with that. It is more useful on motorways.

I've been using Garmin satnavs since 2007. You get used to their quirks even though they can sometimes be tiresome or annoying. I often override the directions it gives me when I think they make little sense. At present the Garmin keeps telling me that the A432 is closed (I know that, and it isn't on any of my local routes) and wants to send me on a totally unnecessary diversion. So I ignore that and carry on along the A4172 Ring Road instead of pointlessly looping through Bristol.

If I am going to use the Garmin to get me to a destination along unfamiliar roads I consult my road maps (sometimes the Trucker's Atlas) first so I have a general idea of the route without actually memorising it all. Then I know if I am being directed towards a silly shortcut or down narrower country lanes. My idea of the fastest route and Garmin's idea don't always match. Even if it adds 5 minutes to my journey time I will ignore its directions whenever I think I know better.

The upshot is that the Garmin is useful for finding new destinations and taking away stress, but having said that, I am still the one in charge of navigation. Garmin is my servant, not my master.

Dec 28, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson 627GA
Exp
I would add do not rely on the automatic updates-connect via cable to the Garmin express application every now & then, sorted out a few issues with my unit

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
My current hire car has Navigation via its infotainment touchscreen. Software appears to be TomTom. Suffice it to say that I won't be swapping my old Garmin Camper for a newer TomTom.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
My current hire car has Navigation via its infotainment touchscreen. Software appears to be TomTom. Suffice it to say that I won't be swapping my old Garmin Camper for a newer TomTom.

It’s surprising how you become used to the operating system of the device you have and how others, consequently, appear stupid. The reality is that they are just different. I’m sure if someone plonked a Garmin in front of me, I’d be frustrated by it but, given time, I’d become familiar with it.

Ian

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
It’s surprising how you become used to the operating system of the device you have and how others, consequently, appear stupid. The reality is that they are just different. I’m sure if someone plonked a Garmin in front of me, I’d be frustrated by it but, given time, I’d become familiar with it.

Ian

OK let me explain. Hire car, Peugeot, with no manuals in the glove box. I did find an online tutorial for recent TomTom GPS. Lacking the patience to delve into all the settings of this "Navigation" App before driving, I had to do without features supposed to be standard such as voice directions, "safety camera" alerts, POIs and so on. A bare map screen with a wiggly blue line to my destination is all I had to go on. :sick:

Maybe I should have used Android Auto + Google Maps. Which costs data.

In the past I have hired other cars such as BMWs with inbuilt GPS. I had no trouble with those.

With my Garmins such features are all there by default, as soon as you turn the unit on. It talks, yay!

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
OK let me explain. Hire car, Peugeot, with no manuals in the glove box. I did find an online tutorial for recent TomTom GPS. Lacking the patience to delve into all the settings of this "Navigation" App before driving, I had to do without features supposed to be standard such as voice directions, "safety camera" alerts, POIs and so on. A bare map screen with a wiggly blue line to my destination is all I had to go on. :sick:

In the past I have hired other cars such as BMWs with inbuilt GPS. I had no trouble with those.

With my Garmins such features are all there by default, as soon as you turn the unit on. It talks, yay!

You can avoid using data on Google maps by downloading your journey(ies) on your wi-fi at home.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

Those features are there as standard, perhaps the previous hirer switched them off.

Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back