galaxy tab 2 sm-t819 memory upgrade recomendations please (1 Viewer)

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Just took delivery of my new galaxy tab 2 sm-t819 I bought off of eBay to replace my non-working Chinese tablet, ( I bought a new battery for this a few weeks ago it cost me£16 if anybody wants it mail me its free, if you want it a bit towards post that’s all.)

I fitted my 3 sim to it and unlocked it, all seems ok, but sooo much faster the older one.

I’m thinking of putting a memory stick in, it can take up to 128gb of micro SD, can anybody recommend any at a good price or just as important a good supplier. What size would you put in?? I was thinking of 64gb.

I’ll use my 3 sim for now, as for mobile data I can tether it my 3 phone for UK use if there no free wifi about, and Ill get the triple 3 data sims for use outside UK.

I know this has been beaten to death but the 3 data sims, do they expire at all, can I buy them now at the good price that they currently are and activate them "as and when" next year?

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/SIM-Cards/3/3-PAYG-4G-Trio-Data-SIM-Pack-Preloaded-with-12GB-of-Data

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
The three sims don't appear to have a 'use by' date as you're buying a set amount of data at a set price, with a 12 month expiry.
Just don't put the sim in until you want the 12 months to begin.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
The three sims don't appear to have a 'use by' date as you're buying a set amount of data at a set price, with a 12 month expiry.
Just don't put the sim in until you want the 12 months to begin.

thats what i thought too, I just didn't want to buy them now,and not use till april next year then find out they would defunk later and not be usable...

so buy them now, activate later and get 3X 12gb data as and when I need it, by activatiing the sim?

It seems I need a class 10 sd card for this device? for stabiltiy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
so buy them now, activate later and get 3X 12gb data as and when I need it, by activatiing the sim?

It seems I need a class 10 sd card for this device? for stabiltiy

That's correct
If you're using them abroad then you may want to activate before leaving UK

Not sure what you mean about the SD card - the SIM cards have a pop out centre so will fit any device

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
That's correct
If you're using them abroad then you may want to activate before leaving UK

Not sure what you mean about the SD card - the SIM cards have a pop out centre so will fit any device

The SD card is to upgrade the on board memory to give extra storage, The device has 32gb built in with a slot for upto another 128gb, but you do have to make sure you get the correct sd-card class, also the size of card in GB, I wasnt too sure if it woildbe more suited brand to one or or another.

I reallydont know yet what sort of size i going to need, but Im now thinking of going a big as possoble for more GB epr £spent

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
99% sure 3 sims don't need activating in the UK.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
qucik bumb for my memory card question,

I wen to the MYMEMORY site that sells the datasims think I would buy it togeather, I went to the memory selector page where thre supposed to be able to to email me back with the correct one that are avalible for my devic.

Im still waiting for them to get back, there is such a lot of different ones IE micro SD mirco SDHC and micro SDXC. then there is speed to into condsideration am I corect in thinking a higher class is better , and a lower MB per second speed is better? all the above three cards seem to a progession in speed and size. Am I understanding this correctly.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I reallydont know yet what sort of size i going to need, but Im now thinking of going a big as possoble for more GB epr £spent
That's not true - there's often a sweet spot £/GB - and a quick look on Amazon seems to suggest 64GB is just best value.
I would stick to 'named' brand cards, such as SanDisk & reputable retailers as it's not unknown for fake capacity cards to get through.
Unless you know you'll be using all the capacity, you could waste money buying a larger card.
Smaller cards spread the risk of data loss should a card become corrupted.

On this basis, I recommend 64gig card(s)

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
That's not true - there's often a sweet spot £/GB - and a quick look on Amazon seems to suggest 64GB is just best value.
I would stick to 'named' brand cards, such as SanDisk & reputable retailers as it's not unknown for fake capacity cards to get through.
Unless you know you'll be using all the capacity, you could waste money buying a larger card.
Smaller cards spread the risk of data loss should a card become corrupted.

On this basis, I recommend 64gig card(s)

what about class (10), and MB per sec any idea on that....

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Class 10 is the 'fastest' transfer speed - but given the size of the card (64gb), what are you going to do with the extra milliseconds saved o_O?
Can your tablet make the most of the fastest card?
You can have a Porsche, the speed limit is 70mph but on the M25, a Morris Minor will get you there just as quick.

In other words don't fixate on Class 10, get it if it's not a big premium on price. Not high on priority list.
What are you using your tablet for, chances are the card will keep up even a class 4.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Class 10 is the 'fastest' transfer speed - but given the size of the card (64gb), what are you going to do with the extra milliseconds saved o_O?
Can your tablet make the most of the fastest card?
You can have a Porsche, the speed limit is 70mph but on the M25, a Morris Minor will get you there just as quick.

In other words don't fixate on Class 10, get it if it's not a big premium on price. Not high on priority list.
What are you using your tablet for, chances are the card will keep up even a class 4.

so it loks like a main brand 64gb card over class 4 up to class 6 and dont worry about anything faster as its not really needed.
edit I probibly go for

Lexar 64GB High Performance Micro SDXC UHS-I U1 Card 300x - 45MB/s at £19.99 for 64 GB

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
We all want the best bang for our buck - but its too easy to get ocd over tech specs.
Some are very particular about petrol they put in their car, premium, never supermarket stuff, never a Jet garage - but for the vast majority of us... petrol is petrol & we happily go to the nearest forecourt with the best price.

Choose your retailer, buy a brand name card, of the size you choose.
99.9% of the time, all will be good.
Get on with life :cool:.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
I'd probabIy go for something like this

But life's too short to worry about a fiver...

ok that could make sense same make memeory as the tablet, nothing should go wrong there..

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Like petrol - you don't drive 20 miles to save 1p/litre...
If you're buying a bunch of stuff from my memory then don't sweat the small stuff.
Don't over think it :cool:.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
I just looked it up and I'd need to spend a bit more to get the free delivery, as Im looking at geting a keyboard anyway as Im rubish at touch screen typing, I might buy them both of off of amazon.
Howeverall the ones Ive seen on there seem to list only the sm-t810/815 modles were as mines the sm-t819 which is a slightly newer version but basicly the same, Ive asked the question on amazon and Ill wait see if they get back...
in thev mean time has/does anybody use a keyboard with thier tablet and arethey really any good.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back