Fully winterised

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by DavidG58, Nov 25, 2014.

1. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

So, we have a 'fully winterised' MH whatever that means, so as a norm we do not drain anything, particularly when it is going out again this month

We also have the convenience of keeping MH at home with mains power available and connected, I then leave the heating on with a temperature setting of around 10C

That would be fine if I had not forgotten I reset all my DC last week, which includes the controller

Popped over to MH this morning to see how warm it was, 2C outside 2C inside :Eeek:

Had been colder overnight, now hope all is OK, heating back on, will see what is leaking this afternoon

• Like Like x 1
  2. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Hi David

It will be OK, if it's going to be freezing a little heat will save you draining down otherwise you don't need any heat on at all, if you have a screen for the front put it on as that will keep a lot of heat in and stop any condensation.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

As I said in the other post, about freezing .
    Ours is fully winterised to. Thicker walls floors onboard tanks etc.
    It's got down to -10 inside , same as outside after leaving it over a cold spell a couple of weeks. Being winterised just takes longer to get down to that point .
    A coke can left it the open fridge had exploded in the veg box cracking the plastic. But at least it didn't squirt everywhere. Another can had blown the bottom outwards , from curved inwards to a dome !
    Since then , we've got into the habit of draining down all the water , as well as opening all the cupboards etc. We don't leave cans in the garage over the winter months either.

• Like Like x 1
  4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

2 deg C in our van as well this morning when I went to check the battery levels. I do drain down and open cupboards at this time of year though. Only had a quick look round but all seems OK.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I was surprised it went as cold inside as out on just one night of frost though

6. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

Was 19 degrees in mine this morning:D

But then we do live in it ;)

All done on electric - 2 rads and a fan heater(y)

And of course - it's a Burstner

• Like Like x 1
  7. rosierose

rosierose Funster

Ours is tucked up inside our barn….Does that mean it is winterised? :giggler:

• Like Like x 3
  8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

That's the point isn't it? The standards assume occupation and a certain level of heat being used.

When we first had the Autoquest we used to leave a small oil-filled radiator on overnight to keep the temperature above freezing (our van is parked on the drive so we have an accessible hook-up socket). We then wondered whether it was really necessary so decided that we would use no heat the next winter. That turned out to be the winter of 2010/11 when we had the worst winter for years at home, with more snow than normal and for longer than normal. We experienced no problems so haven't used winter heat, when the vehicle is just parked up, since then.

9. B-well

B-well Funster

You mean a BURNER :LOL:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Other that draining down ( and you have to be REALLY careful you get all the water out of the thermostatic shower mixer tap ) we do nothing at all..

This year for one reason or other, the van has not moved since mid October and will not now roll a wheel until Mid january

11. Terry

Terry Funster

Well I will be filling my van up with water tomorrow ready for the weekend (y)I NORMALLY bring the soft furnishings into the house but this yr the room is full of stuff to make a van with so it may not leave much room -Never had a problem over the last 8 yrs so don't think there will be one this yr -Apart from draining down don't do anything
    terry

12. ABZSteve

ABZSteve Funster

Designed like that top and bottom to allow expansion. Cool eh, no pun intended :D

13. Geordies

Geordies Funster

Know how to stop the exploding coke can problem ! Replace them with cans of beer, when I was working in Canada we left cans of beer out at -20c and none of them ever popped !! A bit too cold to drink tho.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Steve

Steve Funster Life Member

auto water valve will dump water in heating unit when it gets to 7c i believe. Will also if power off. i try to keep around 10/15c then warms up quicker. i like it to be 17c at night when in bed and 20/22 when iam sat down with pc/tv

• Like Like x 1
  15. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

we have the Alde heating on ours Steve, doesn't have the auto dump, which maybe a good thing, our last MH had to have peg on the valve to keep it closed

agree with your temps though, just like ours (y)