Full timing - the dream seems to be slipping away

Discussion in 'Full Timers' started by Roundandround, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Roundandround

Roundandround Funster

Hi

I really hope someone might be able to help us. We have sold our house and want to move into our....caravan (please don't kick us off here).

The issue of an address seems to be the only thing that might stop us in our tracks. We are able to use a relatives address, but are not able to register on the electoral roll as they are on single occupancy and even though we offered to pay the difference they said it's illegal as we would not be living there and wouldn't agree to it. Fair enough we said. I called the DVLA and they were happy for us to use a c/o address for licence, MOT etc, then I called a couple of car insurance companies (ones that have been mentioned over and over on various forums discussing full-timing) and maybe I was too honest because they said no. I said we would have a c/o postal address but the car would be moving around at a few addresses (campsites which I would be happy to tell them) and they flatly said no. They said the car would need to be at the address we were living at and registered with the council at. We can't do that as we can't register for reasons given above. I asked if they checked against the electoral register and they said they do.

We want to do everything legally and be honest but it seems to me you are forced to tell white lies which could invalidate your insurance. We don't want to rent or buy a property in the short term (we may well in the future) and if we can't sort our car insurance out we feel we are doomed to stay where we are, but it's not what we want to do.

We would really appreciate any useful advice as we feel we may as well give up right now. It seems too difficult, all we want is to do the right thing and feel penalised by being truthful. I tried calling the CAB but after holding for 17 minutes I gave up, will try again tomorrow.

I have read numerous forums and threads and post and to be honest I can't even think straight about it all any more, my head is swimming. I have read all the posts on this forum about it all and still I am not sure what to do for the best.

Really hope to hear from folks with their stories, we don't want to give up just yet!

Thanks very much (y)

2. olley

olley Funster

Comfort are as far as I know the only company that do genuine full-time insurance. We were with them for three years, expensive, expect to pay at least double the normal rate.

Ian

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Roundandround

Roundandround Funster

Thanks Ian. They were one of the ones I called, they said yes to motorhome 365 but not to caravan 365 unfortunately and couldn't give me a reason why.

• Like Like x 1
  4. olley

olley Funster

Possibly caravan 365 smells of gypsy.

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. Roundandround

Roundandround Funster

I think so too, we have lived in house for the past 30 years but that makes no odds. It seems so unfair, we want to be upfront and pay our insurance etc but no-one wants to take our money.

I'm trying to think off all of the ways to have an address and be able to be on the electoral roll - ideal would be to rent a small room and use it for storage but can't find anything.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Whitebirdyman

Whitebirdyman Funster

As Comfort will cover a MH, had you considered swapping the car for a compact panel van conversion and towing the caravan with that?

• Like Like x 4
  7. chaser

chaser Funster

Maybe ask them what they do(y):)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. klaatu

klaatu Funster

Comfort told me that they will not do full-time insurance for a PVC. They told me that they will not do full-time insurance for a motorhome valued at less than £25k, and if it's an American motorhome, it has to have been manufactured since 2010. They also told me that in addition to these restrictions, applications are considered on a case-by-case basis.

Steve

9. Shrimp64

Shrimp64 Funster

I think comfort will only insure up/down to a certain age too!

10. Manic

Manic Funster

Also told me my motorhome was too old,it's 2001

11. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

We full timed for 4 years until last year, so that's where my knowledge is from.

Comfort insured our MH which was a 2004. Yes - it's expensive, but legal.
    They would not (bizarrely) insure our car! That one does require a legit address and is the one area a bit of poetic licence is required - with another broker! (We used a family members address)
    A po box was used for drivin licence and bank no problem.
    You cannot be on the electoral role at all unless a friend or family adds you to theirs - no way round this, we didn't bother, but be aware it will affect things like your credit rating if that's important for you.
    Noted the OP has a caravan - so might be worth checking out a caravan forum, or motorhome365.

It is all doable, but you have to bend the truth a bit for some things!

Good luck and don't give up - there are plenty of solutions available BUT don't expect be 100% legit on everything!

• Like Like x 1
  12. klaatu

klaatu Funster

13. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

14. Roundandround

Roundandround Funster

Thanks! Nope not bothered at all about voting or credit rating we would only want it for the car insurance, that's the only gain by being on it for us, we wouldn't gain in any other way. I wonder if we are overthinking things and being too cautious and wanting too many boxes ticked, we're cautious people by nature and have always abided by the law. Wish we were a bit more go with the flow types who didn't worry about such stuff!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Roundandround

Roundandround Funster

I saw this and then wondered if we registered as no fixed address then it would flag up to the insurers that we were no-where as opposed to doing nothing and possibly nothing being flagged up. If we went down the NFA route I would think it's hard to undo that on their systems etc for a while.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Roundandround

Roundandround Funster

I don't understand why there isn't an insurer to cover caravans 365 really, I would gladly pay a higher premium if everything was crossed and dotted.

Thanks everyone, so pleased you all replied :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Anyone know what gypsies do??

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Rob and Val

Rob and Val Funster

Seems odd that being honest actually penalises you. You have our sympathy and we hope that you will be able to get it sorted.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

@Roundandround There has been mention somewhere on this forum, but I have not been able to find it from a quick search, about someone who offers a residential address. If I recall correctly he has a house with a few 'allotments' where you can park for up to 28 days and he offers a 'residential street address' and post forwarding service. It might be the solution for you.

20. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member