Full timing - the dream seems to be slipping away (1 Viewer)

Roundandround

Free Member
Jul 18, 2016
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Hi

I really hope someone might be able to help us. We have sold our house and want to move into our....caravan (please don't kick us off here).

The issue of an address seems to be the only thing that might stop us in our tracks. We are able to use a relatives address, but are not able to register on the electoral roll as they are on single occupancy and even though we offered to pay the difference they said it's illegal as we would not be living there and wouldn't agree to it. Fair enough we said. I called the DVLA and they were happy for us to use a c/o address for licence, MOT etc, then I called a couple of car insurance companies (ones that have been mentioned over and over on various forums discussing full-timing) and maybe I was too honest because they said no. I said we would have a c/o postal address but the car would be moving around at a few addresses (campsites which I would be happy to tell them) and they flatly said no. They said the car would need to be at the address we were living at and registered with the council at. We can't do that as we can't register for reasons given above. I asked if they checked against the electoral register and they said they do.

We want to do everything legally and be honest but it seems to me you are forced to tell white lies which could invalidate your insurance. We don't want to rent or buy a property in the short term (we may well in the future) and if we can't sort our car insurance out we feel we are doomed to stay where we are, but it's not what we want to do.

We would really appreciate any useful advice as we feel we may as well give up right now. It seems too difficult, all we want is to do the right thing and feel penalised by being truthful. I tried calling the CAB but after holding for 17 minutes I gave up, will try again tomorrow.

I have read numerous forums and threads and post and to be honest I can't even think straight about it all any more, my head is swimming. I have read all the posts on this forum about it all and still I am not sure what to do for the best.

Really hope to hear from folks with their stories, we don't want to give up just yet!

Thanks very much (y)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Comfort are as far as I know the only company that do genuine full-time insurance. We were with them for three years, expensive, expect to pay at least double the normal rate.

Ian

OP
OP
R

Roundandround

Free Member
Jul 18, 2016
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Thanks Ian. They were one of the ones I called, they said yes to motorhome 365 but not to caravan 365 unfortunately and couldn't give me a reason why.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

Roundandround

Free Member
Jul 18, 2016
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I think so too, we have lived in house for the past 30 years but that makes no odds. It seems so unfair, we want to be upfront and pay our insurance etc but no-one wants to take our money.

I'm trying to think off all of the ways to have an address and be able to be on the electoral roll - ideal would be to rent a small room and use it for storage but can't find anything.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
As Comfort will cover a MH, had you considered swapping the car for a compact panel van conversion and towing the caravan with that?
Comfort told me that they will not do full-time insurance for a PVC. They told me that they will not do full-time insurance for a motorhome valued at less than £25k, and if it's an American motorhome, it has to have been manufactured since 2010. They also told me that in addition to these restrictions, applications are considered on a case-by-case basis.

Steve

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I think comfort will only insure up/down to a certain age too!

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Comfort told me that they will not do full-time insurance for a PVC. They told me that they will not do full-time insurance for a motorhome valued at less than £25k, and if it's an American motorhome, it has to have been manufactured since 2010. They also told me that in addition to these restrictions, applications are considered on a case-by-case basis.

Steve
Also told me my motorhome was too old,it's 2001

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
We full timed for 4 years until last year, so that's where my knowledge is from.

Comfort insured our MH which was a 2004. Yes - it's expensive, but legal.
They would not (bizarrely) insure our car! That one does require a legit address and is the one area a bit of poetic licence is required - with another broker! (We used a family members address)
A po box was used for drivin licence and bank no problem.
You cannot be on the electoral role at all unless a friend or family adds you to theirs - no way round this, we didn't bother, but be aware it will affect things like your credit rating if that's important for you.
Noted the OP has a caravan - so might be worth checking out a caravan forum, or motorhome365.

It is all doable, but you have to bend the truth a bit for some things!

Good luck and don't give up - there are plenty of solutions available BUT don't expect be 100% legit on everything!

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
You cannot be on the electoral role at all unless a friend or family adds you to theirs - no way round this
You can register to vote without a fixed address, you just choose somewhere to declare a "local connection".

OP
OP
R

Roundandround

Free Member
Jul 18, 2016
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
We full timed for 4 years until last year, so that's where my knowledge is from.

Comfort insured our MH which was a 2004. Yes - it's expensive, but legal.
They would not (bizarrely) insure our car! That one does require a legit address and is the one area a bit of poetic licence is required - with another broker! (We used a family members address)
A po box was used for drivin licence and bank no problem.
You cannot be on the electoral role at all unless a friend or family adds you to theirs - no way round this, we didn't bother, but be aware it will affect things like your credit rating if that's important for you.
Noted the OP has a caravan - so might be worth checking out a caravan forum, or motorhome365.

It is all doable, but you have to bend the truth a bit for some things!

Good luck and don't give up - there are plenty of solutions available BUT don't expect be 100% legit on everything!

Thanks! Nope not bothered at all about voting or credit rating we would only want it for the car insurance, that's the only gain by being on it for us, we wouldn't gain in any other way. I wonder if we are overthinking things and being too cautious and wanting too many boxes ticked, we're cautious people by nature and have always abided by the law. Wish we were a bit more go with the flow types who didn't worry about such stuff!

OP
OP
R

Roundandround

Free Member
Jul 18, 2016
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
To vote - yes - but not to be on the register at a fixed address capable of being verified by outside agencies.
I saw this and then wondered if we registered as no fixed address then it would flag up to the insurers that we were no-where as opposed to doing nothing and possibly nothing being flagged up. If we went down the NFA route I would think it's hard to undo that on their systems etc for a while.

OP
OP
R

Roundandround

Free Member
Jul 18, 2016
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp

Steve
I don't understand why there isn't an insurer to cover caravans 365 really, I would gladly pay a higher premium if everything was crossed and dotted.

Thanks everyone, so pleased you all replied :)

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Seems odd that being honest actually penalises you. You have our sympathy and we hope that you will be able to get it sorted.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
@Roundandround There has been mention somewhere on this forum, but I have not been able to find it from a quick search, about someone who offers a residential address. If I recall correctly he has a house with a few 'allotments' where you can park for up to 28 days and he offers a 'residential street address' and post forwarding service. It might be the solution for you.

OP
OP
R

Roundandround

Free Member
Jul 18, 2016
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
@Roundandround There has been mention somewhere on this forum, but I have not been able to find it from a quick search, about someone who offers a residential address. If I recall correctly he has a house with a few 'allotments' where you can park for up to 28 days and he offers a 'residential street address' and post forwarding service. It might be the solution for you.
Thank you for looking that up for me, I appreciate it. This is a great option if you don't have a residential address to use, we can use a relatives thankfully but otherwise we would use something like this. It's the electoral roll part that is causing me worry, and the only reason for that is I believe car insurers cross reference against it.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Seems odd that being honest actually penalises you. You have our sympathy and we hope that you will be able to get it sorted.
Mmmm not sure that works as if you tell a lie, white or not, to your insurance company then you are not insured. Agree with your second sentence.

OP
OP
R

Roundandround

Free Member
Jul 18, 2016
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I suppose another option is registering our car in someone else's name who is living at their own address and who is on the electoral roll.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Anyone know what gypsies do??
Buy houses ?
I know a few travelling folk who have bricks n mortar to fall back on.
I love visiting because you never know which family members might be staying over... quite a few registered occupants I'm guessing :)

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
This extract suggests if you are not applying for credit then they have no reason to look at the electoral register.
3. Opt out of the 'open register'

There are 2 versions of the electoral register - the ‘open register’ and the full version.

Opting out of the ‘open register’
You can opt out of the ‘open register’ - the version of the register that’s available to anyone who wants to buy a copy.

To opt out of the open register, contact your local Electoral Registration Office.

Opting out doesn’t affect your right to vote.

The full version
Everyone’s name and address goes on the full version of the electoral register. The full version of the register is only used for:

• elections
  • preventing and detecting crime
  • checking applications for loans or credit
Find out more about the difference between the ‘open register’ and the electoral register.

https://www.gov.uk/electoral-register/opt-out-of-the-open-register

OP
OP
R

Roundandround

Free Member
Jul 18, 2016
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Thanks. Ah so what you are saying is that if we opt out of the open register then companies such as insurers who have bought the register would not find us on that anyway?

Again I wonder if we are over thinking this. The insurers I spoke to yesterday did say they cross referenced against the register.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
I don't know what
covers. I would imagine if you paid by monthly instalments then they will want to see your name on the register.
Remember people answering the phones at call centres will tell you any old b*****ks.

OP
OP
R

Roundandround

Free Member
Jul 18, 2016
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I don't know what
covers. I would imagine if you paid by monthly instalments then they will want to see your name on the register.
Remember people answering the phones at call centres will tell you any old b*****ks.

We'd pay the whole amount upfront so that might help.

Yep for anything out of the ordinary you just get a flat no. No leeway at all.

Thanks (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back