Frozen Tap Snapped Last Night with Water Everywhere (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Thankfully I am talking about the outside tap on our house.

The missis called down from the bathroom last night saying the water pressure was low. On investigation I found the tap on the patio had compleatly sheared off due the cold weather freezing it.

Made me think about the Motorhome and why it's so important to take steps to protect the water system in the cold weather.
I have my fresh water half full. Pump off and all taps open. Also the Truma heater is set at 12deg to keep it warm around the internal pipes without overdoing the work required by the unit.

Off to B&Q later to get a new tap.

Happy Wintering.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
which is why you will often water turned off at small sites in the UK and aires abroad

I would have thought the pipe would be more likely to split though, not the actual tap

When I was in Grantown 2 years ago -15C on a serviced pitch, no water from my tap, hardly surprising, checked with office to see if they were turned off, no, just run a kettle of hot water on it you should get lucky

I did and was (y) but shows the pipework can survive the low temperatures, often just finds a weak point I reckon when they do burst

good luck with the repairs, I would be calling a plumber :)(y)

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Hope you were able to isolate the supply easily?

Also hope you're not on a water meter, that'd have cost me about £80 if it happened here :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
one of my pet hates outside taps not fitted to allow isolation and drain down for winter
If you put the tap in yourself like we have you can put an isolation valve in the interior pipework so it can be turned off, if its already installed you can still sometimes get at the pipes to put a valve in.

We also put some insulation on our tap, large bore pipe lagging used in attics etc, but a good covering of bubble wrap would do the trick too.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I have my fresh water half full. Pump off and all taps open. Also the Truma heater is set at 12deg to keep it warm around the internal pipes without overdoing the work required by the unit.
Personally I wouldn't leave any water in at all as the water in the pipes themselves could freeze and split as the Truma heat might not be enough/not reach into them sufficiently ... not worth the risk for the sake of putting in a bit of water when needed.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
I always drill out low and fit a drain off that way when you turn of the iso inside you can remove the water in the pipes turning off and leaving the water in the pipes is pointless i always give people two prices cheap or properly
most opt for cheap

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Also hope you're not on a water meter, that'd have cost me about £80 if it happened here :LOL:

No 2 son had a leak at his water meter. So, rang and told the Derby water people. They came and dug up a bit of his front garden, but could not reach it and went away. Apparently the crew that work outside your property is not the crew that work inside your property. Anyway, after a while loads of bollards and boards and stuff appeared outside his house. Action we thought, but no, a week or so later they all disappeared. By now there is a constant little stream in the gutter and along the pavement. Many phone calls took place. Eventually the bollards etc reappeared, and a week or so later a hole was dug. But apparently, the hole diggers are not the fixers. For several days you could look down the hole and watch the water trickling out, before the fixers arrived and sorted it out. But apparently, the fixers are not the hole fillers. But a few days later the hole fillers filled in the hole. But apparently, they are not the ones that put the Tarmac down they turned up about a week later. It was a month or so before the bollards etc disappeared.

Anyway, the result was a water usage bill for over £1700. But as we had told them it was leaking it was reduced to £11. Are you all still awake. :)

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
Actually Mr Supermike.....NO !!!!!!!!:roflmto::roflmto:

Good to see you around Mike(y)

John P:)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
It's likely that modern plastic pipes are less prone to fracturing as more flexible than copper pipes.

Nice story @SuperMike Sooperdooperwinabagelmike , mustn't break Union lines if it isn't your job :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We had the same thing last year when we has a leak at the front of our property with 3 lots of 'gangs' doing the work with waits in between, not as long as Mike though! When the hole fillers came as we have block paving they had a go at putting it back, rather than leaving it for the 'finishers' - they actually did a very good job .. we can't tell it from how it looked originally!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back