Fridge not woking on gas

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Kiwi Coss, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss Funster

Does anyone know a fridge repair place between Oban and Glasgow? It won't ignite and I don't want to play around with it.........Actually change that to I am not allowed to play around with it. I arrive in Oban tonight and am heading to Glasgow. Really appreciate any help with any dealers or repairers.
    Thanks
    Colin

2. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

Suggest you re-check that you have gas available and non of your supply taps are turned off to the fridge.
    Best of luck.

3. namwaldog

namwaldog Funster

Just googled caravan repairs near Oban and the only one showing is Argyll Caravan Repairs based in Oban not much info other than the name Gordon & tel nos 01631 770656. Mob 07501002285
    Might be worth a ring?

4. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Our fridge has a gas isolator in the cupboard next to it, which is where we keep the washing up liquid. I'm forever knocking it off. Have you checked this?

5. Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss Funster

Thanks
    Have checked the gas flow and I can light the gas from outside so the gas flow is OK. I think it may be something to do with the ignition. There are a couple of other things that need fixing as well.

6. Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss Funster

Thanks for that. Will try them

7. The Happy Couple

The Happy Couple Funster

Possibly a bit late for you now but we found that our fridge won't light with gas if the Moho is tipped too far forward ie the front of the van is lower than the back (where our fridge is).
    Had the same problem as you (not igniting whilst wild camping in Badachro yesterday) but everything fine now we are level in Durness.
    Hope that helps?
    Sharon x

8. PeteH

PeteH Funster

That is very strange?. It is more usual that out ov level affects the flow of the liquid/gases around the system, rather than ignition, May I suggest you investigate further? You may need a flue clean or burner service?.

Pete

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

Almost certainly the thermocouple. Easy repair, but can be fiddly. Should be a quick fix for a pro or competent DIY person.
    Phil

10. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

If it is lighting from outside Phil.. .. why would you suggest the thermocouple.. ? It has nothing to do with ignition.. It holds the gas valve open once the gas is lit..

This is often changed for no good reason, they very rarely give trouble.. can't recall ever having to change one..

Hopefully the OP will get back with a report of the fault..

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

I have fixed 2 fridges not working on gas and both times it was the thermocouple. I just feel they are the likely culprits.
    Phil

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss Funster

I have had that trouble before when our caravan was parked not level. Doesn't appear that it is the problem here as when I manually ignite it the fridge works OK. It is looking more and more like a problem with the spark. What does the thermocouple do?

13. scotjimland

It's a safety device that detects the flame.. when heated it generates a very small voltage that holds the gas valve open.. you can find them on most gas appliances.

If the flame gets blown out ... or the gas doesn't ignite, the gas valve closes..

Occasionally it can get out of alignment and not detect the flame.. when that happens the gas will light, but go out as soon as you take your hand off the gas ignition knob.

No spark can be either the igniter board, broken wire, or the spark tip needing adjustment.. it's similar to a spark plug.. if the gap is too big it won't spark

• Like Like x 2
  14. The Happy Couple

The Happy Couple Funster

Thanks.
    Yes it is a bit strange - it's never happened before and I'd heard that other people experienced issues with gas appliances not working properly or at all when not level. So that is what we thought was causing it.
    We also could not get a spark and the gas was flowing to the cooker.
    Does anybody know if that sort of thing would be checked as part of the habitation service?
    Ours will be due next month.

15. scotjimland

yes.. it should be part of the service.. but I would also tell them, or put a note on the hob that the ignitor's not working..

some igniters have a battery.. others use the 12v from the van..

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster

Fridges aren't checked as part of a hab service unless you specify it. All that is checked is that there are no leaks.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. scotjimland

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Clive

Clive Funster Life Member

If it's a Dometic fridge it could well be the connector. Take of the bottom grill and you'll see a bunch of wires going into a terminal block. Take this off and spray with switch cleaner and put back on. On mine I get two issues, firstly will not light, second ignores the fridge temperature. I now do this every month.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. The Happy Couple

The Happy Couple Funster

Thanks for all your responses - much appreciated. (y)

20. PeteH

PeteH Funster

Update, when a thermocouple fails it SHOULD, Fail "Safe". ie closed. It is however rare, but not unknown for one to fail jambed open. In that circumstance the gas flow remains ON regardless of if there is a flame or not, potentially allowing UN-burnt gas to accumulate and is extremely dangerous.

Pete