Fridge and Levelling

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by dippingatoe, Mar 16, 2014.

1. dippingatoe

dippingatoe Read Only Funster

If I am on a site where it is not possible to level the unit what do I do about the fridge. I have heard it is not good for them to be working when not levelled, but how long will they be alright ie overnight, a couple of days?

2. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

I would say that if your fridge is staying cool, you are level enough for continued use without causing a problem.
    If the fridge stops cooling, you need to level up!:Smile:

3. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Every time you run a fridge off level it will deteriorate. It will happen over a period of time until finally it gives up altogether. If you are only considering keeping your motorhome for a couple of years it will not be your problem, but the next owners. Having had to replace several fridges in second hand motorhomes over the years I know how much they cost. Between £700 and £1500. The choice is yours.

4. dippingatoe

And if I can't do I switch the fridge off, or just let it be? I don't want to damage it by doing the wrong thing

5. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Sorry, I meant if the fridge isn't cooling, level up or switch it off!:thumb:

6. daisy mae

daisy mae Read Only Funster

The fridge in my MH is a tilt tolerant fridge, our drive is sloping and it works ok.

7. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

the design of the lpg fridges means that if the small flame isnt discharging heat directly up the chimney, they wont work as well if at all. the latest fridges are better but in older vans it only took a few degrees from level to fail

they work better on 240v rather than gas if out of level because the heating elements are touching the heat exchanger

to see why the flame being out of level is critical. try lighting a tealight candle and hold a piece of pipe above. when the pipe is vertical above the flame, more heat is convected from the top than if at an angle. also the flue pipe will soot up on one side

8. dippingatoe

Mine is a 2011 Damon Daybreak - is it likely the fridge is slope tolerant do you think?

9. dippingatoe

I am running the genny quite a bit, so that might take some of the pressure off I suppose.

10. the stig

the stig Funster

Hi Sue

If your fridge is Tilt tolerant then I'm sure it would mention that in your brochure. After all that is a good selling point. Are you still on the islands?

Andrea
    x

• Like Like x 1
  11. dippingatoe

Thought I posted a reply but cant see it :RollEyes:

Have just come back over from Whalsay to Mainland this afternoon, but its so windy I have parked in the ferry carpark to try and keep out of the wind, As it is so sloping I am not using the jacks

Have got out the fridge manuals and had a look - it says it should be levelled, but that when travelling the movement releases any build up of ammonia gas in the coils - or something like that:Blush: - as its so jolly windy and the jacks arent down we are rocking about more than on the ferry coming over, so perhaps with that and using the genny from time to time I should be okay,

Not too worried about things keeping cool, but would prefer not to damage the fridge :RollEyes:

12. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

All ammonia absorption refrigerators have to be level, when stationary and turned on to any heat source. Not levelling will permanently damage the cooling unit. If out of level, liquids in the cooling unit pool in places they shouldn't and cause the unit to overheat and block or crack.