Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
It seems to be escalating;

Industrial action over labour law reforms is gripping France nationwide, with oil refineries, nuclear power stations and transport hubs affected.

Motorways and bridges were blocked and flights delayed while clashes erupted with police in Paris and other cities.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36385778

Deleted User
This was posted yesterday by my friend who owns a campsite near Dorceau (about 50Km NE of Le Mans)

Fuel Crisis in France!! - really???

For those visiting us in the next few days - a quick update on the local fuel situation around Forest View... As you may imagine its not quite what has been reported in the UK press.

Our local supermarket station and local petrol station have fuel (both Petrol and Diesel) at the moment.
All filling stations in the Orne are restricting cars to 20ltrs per visit and heavy vehicles (motorhomes, lorries etc) to 30ltrs per visit. At the moment there is a restriction on filling jerry cans!! :)

What I love about the french is that the restriction is self imposed in that there is no physical restriction at the pumps - there is an official notice on the pumps which tells you that in the interests of all please only take 20ltrs (or 30ltrs) and people just do - why?? Because its in the interests of all not to panic buy - so everyone gets some... not rocket science is it?

I went past both stations a few minutes ago and there were two cars filling up (1 at each station) and no queues of any kind and no rampant hords fighting in the streets - so relax..

I'd fill up before you leave UK as a pre-caution and with any luck you could be stuck here - could be worst places eh? :) :)

Travel safely and see you all soon.

Peter & Sarah

Andrew

Not quite like that where we are, the machines are set to stop at 20L and not all the French are so thoughtful. Short queue today but the man in front of me used 2 separate cards to get 2 lots!

Other fuel stations had large queues, the one used was quiet because there was a big demo with roundabouts blocked by burning tyres and a big march and then another bonfire on the road.

I wonder who will pay for the road repairs!

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
We cross on 28th June and have decided to turn left for Holland/Germany if it hasn't been sorted.
Ditto Dover Dunkirk 28th

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
yip... bollox to them.. time to get the lederhosen out and learn how to shout and wave arms in German.. :LOL:
Yes, speak loud and slow it works all over the world. Do not vorry Jim, ve vill 'ave zee great time no!. :LOL:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I notice that there hasn't been one mention of the strikes on the BBC news.
Are they afraid of being accused of promoting Brexit?

Flew back from Majorca today, nothing on BBC or Sky about the strikes. Dozens of flights delayed.... the flight crew knew the delays were coming but they still didn't make the news

Does make you wonder ..........

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
I am booked on the Portsmouth to st malo ferry on 10th June hope things change by then as ferry has been paid in full
was looking forward to a couple of weeks traveling up and down the Atlantic coast

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I wonder how long it will be before the French Government capitulates. The unions know their track record and will win again me thinks.

Camping Parc Verger

Free Member
Jul 3, 2015
New Owners Of Parc Verger From 1st July 2015
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
over 25 years
Hi to you all. We are located in the limousin valley and we do not have any problems regarding fuel. The supermarkets around are selling fuel with no restrictions. The main reason is that all the fuel that we get in this area comes from La Rochelle and Bordeaux. not from the North.

We have guests on site who have bought fuel over the last few days again without any restrictions or queues.

Mar 21, 2015
notts
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2010
The only constant we have found is . .the cheaper the fuel ( supermarkets ) the less likely they will have stock. Yesterday we paid € 1.294 / l to fill up on a payage ! !

Reactions: DBK
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The only constant we have found is . .the cheaper the fuel ( supermarkets ) the less likely they will have stock. Yesterday we paid € 1.294 / l to fill up on a payage ! !
Yeah but that's still cheaper than here

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Germany is fabulous. Never done it in a motor home but have done the Mosel extensively on motor bikes . We used to do an annual boys week where we took our Bikes in vans over to the Nurbergring which is at the head of the Mosel Valley. Cochem was one of the places we went of an evening... Wonderful place and great times !
When my wife was well we went over with a Honda Blackbird and a Yamahe R1 in the back of a big Transit van. We toured the valley on the Honda and I put in a few laps each day round the Ring. Took the wife on the back of the Blackbird for a couple of laps .... Epic !

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
I might be wrong but I thought that the idea of going on strike was to cause the most disruption to make their argument. If they did not cause trouble who would take any notice of them ?

..........or just blackmail or bully to get your way?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Flew back from Majorca today, nothing on BBC or Sky about the strikes. Dozens of flights delayed.... the flight crew knew the delays were coming but they still didn't make the news

Does make you wonder ..........

Yes, very little news although it happens every week( nothing to do with this national strike) & has been going on since Christmas. Always Thursdays recently . As I posted early last week when asking for some info My wife, in 9 flights, has now been delayed 5 times & cancelled once. To the extent that on the last 3 return journeys into Alicante I take the motorhome & once collected,we stay over down on the beach. 1a.m last week:(
Just keeping fingers crossed the she gets away next tuesday morning as they are now proposing a 3 day ATC strike for early June.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Has that not always been the way. By the way am not one for striking, but would not stop someone right to strike.

I think that in this case it shows how 'different' (out of date) the French workers are from the rest of Europe :whistle:.............. Frexit next?.......

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
were booked to go over friday week if its not cleared up we will do the border counrty and dip back in to belgium and luxemberg for fuel or maybe just go up along the begium coast which has great beaches all the way up to holland

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Yes, very little news although it happens every week( nothing to do with this national strike) & has been going on since Christmas. Always Thursdays recently . As I posted early last week when asking for some info My wife, in 9 flights, has now been delayed 5 times & cancelled once. To the extent that on the last 3 return journeys into Alicante I take the motorhome & once collected,we stay over down on the beach. 1a.m last week:(
Just keeping fingers crossed the she gets away next tuesday morning as they are now proposing a 3 day ATC strike for early June.

The flight crew today told us to avoid Thursdays

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
we are heading off next Friday catching ferry from Hull to Zeebrugge then down to Switzerland, hopefully fill up in Lux with no problems

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I notice that there hasn't been one mention of the strikes on the BBC news.

Are they afraid of being accused of promoting Brexit?
Plenty of negative footage of clashes between police & strikers in Paris streets & elsewhere, on ITN this evening.
Seems to be escalating.
But France is a big country.... so I'm sure there are many unaffected areas.

OP
OP
TM59

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
When I started this thread I was hoping as Jumar had posted to keep it factual. I respect and enjoy people's thoughts as to where they might or might not go, but for myself and many other funsters who are currently Touring France factual information surrounding the Strike is what we want to read about to help with our travels.

Please keep it factual.

TM59

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
BBC 1 finally reported on the French strike " French workers blockading this weekend" exactly where?? But to cause major disruptions

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back