French swimwear ? (1 Viewer)

Jun 12, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer
What is the story in France re swimming shorts ? So many conflicting results looking on google . Aparently it is law not to wear shorts but it’s not adhered to at some sites , is this the case ? Tia

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It's the baggy shorts you can swim in which are frowned upon generally. The idea as I understand it, is some folk wear them all day then jump into the pool adding sand, grit and less mentionable pollutants.

As always there will be places where the rules are not enforced but by contrast in Italy you have to wear a bathing cap as well. We were not allowed in a pool on Sicily because of this.

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
We were told, in very direct terms, that it is a public health matter and it is a legal requirement. They don’t want people wearing shorts all day then jumping in the pool, transferring dirt and “other biological material”

And yes, you need to buy and wear budgie smugglers. Please note, budgies drown if secreted in speedo’s

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
What is the story in France re swimming shorts ? So many conflicting results looking on google . Aparently it is law not to wear shorts but it’s not adhered to at some sites , is this the case ? Tia
It seems to depend... We've been obliged to wear budgie smugglers or similar in some municipal pools and private pools where as others allow Bermuda shorts. We've only been required to wear caps in one pool.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I think it is actually a law,.
Italy & Ireland you have to wear a swimming cap.
It is not the law in Italy, it only compulsory when required to do so by the campsite or pool owners.

Jolak

Free Member
Nov 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 175
I really don't understand this requirement. If you wear proper swimming shorts, they have a net sort of brief inside them that stops your three piece dangling free and effectively stops contamination with hairs etc., so I can't see the problem. I read the rules of a campsite swimming pool in France before I left and bought some speedos online and they turned out to be shorts with the net insert. I wore them and I wasn't challenged at the pool, although everyone else was just lying around sunbathing and I was the only one in the pool. I somehow felt guilty that I wasn't wearing the "budgie smuggler" type of swimming attire as I consider them ridiculous.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Being aware of these rules I always swim in brief swimwear. However a couple of months ago i was swimming in the pool at Le Floride & l'Embouchure site just outside Argeles sur mer when the lifeguard pulled me up to tell me that my swimwear wasn't made of the right material they were cotton polyester but should be Lycra.

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Being aware of these rules I always swim in brief swimwear. However a couple of months ago i was swimming in the pool at Le Floride & l'Embouchure site just outside Argeles sur mer when the lifeguard pulled me up to tell me that my swimwear wasn't made of the right material they were cotton polyester but should be Lycra.
That’s because cotton suffocates the budgies… :whistle2:

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
I can’t wear budgie smugglers, I have to buy parrot smugglers :whistle2:
download.jpeg

Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
Feb 6, 2019
Santa Maria de Palautordera, Barcelona, Spain
Funster No
MH
LMC Liberty 560 1992
Exp
Since 2017
This is hilarious - in the municipal pool in my town, I'm the only one in the ostrich smugglers - which is a practical choice on my part cos I hate baggy swimwear that flaps around in the water.

Not being a lithe teen anymore, I do feel a bit self-concious sometimes and wonder if it's time to move into something 'bigger' - able for a pair of ostriches - but now I feel vindicated!!!

Said municipal pool has no requirement for caps, and would obviously have the extra biological material and has a lot of long hair floating in the water and presumably through the filter and pump, as well as on you as you exit the pool. Apart from that its quite nice tho as they use salt water instead of lots of chlorine.

So while the ladies (of all sizes) at pools and beaches I have visited are often topless and have the 'lift & separate' mini bikini bottoms, the gents are clad often to the knee in pocketed bermuda type shorts and many are wearing underwear beneath them - branded waistband conspicuously apparent - not I think in an effort to show off sartorially, but to demonstrate that they are compliant with the male trend to have lots of clothes on while swimming.

In india, the local people visiting the beach didn't take their clothes off at all before they got into the water...

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
My husband always wears the speedo type with short legs and has never had a problem,
As a woman I would say that all men, no matter what age or shape look better in these short leg Lycra swimmers! Baggy shorts with flapping pockets look ridiculous, & seem to be getting longer & longer! You’ll all be swimming in trousers soon! 😂😂

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I consider them ridiculous.
Well well well..... as a woman... and I hope I'm not going to start something ...hot..here (heated bit of thread that is ...tssss!!!).. I do prefer to admire a man in a boxer short (Riverbankannie the ones you gave a link to) than in anything else. Just think a bit you men... would you like to see all the women with some sort of large bag around their boobs 😜 😜😜😜 :whistle2::whistle2::giggler::giggler::giggler::giggler:...how frustrating!!! Wot??? You really think that, we, women don't look at you men.....Pah you're naive little things!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Last time I enjoyed such a moment was on my doorstep, a range of sports equipment had been delivered to my doorstep for a member of the Latécoère bureau, who had to undo it all ... :cool::cool::whistle2::whistle2:
;)

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back