DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you are a member of the CAMC (aka Caravan Club) they are doing a special offer at the moment for a free Sanef tag for use on the French toll motorways. The offer is described on p63 of the May edition of their magazine. The tags normally cost ten euros.

Alternatively go to www.camc.com/sanef

The tags are despatched from the UK the next working day according to Sanef.
Of course you can save even more money by not using the French toll roads but if you decide to the tag should be more convenient. :)

I've just applied for mine and nowhere does it ask for details of your vehicle so I assume there are cameras or the like on the toll booths which work out what the fee is.

Reactions: LAM

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Plenty of threads on here explaining how tags work.. and how useful they are to some of us. They are nor vehicle specific and for the uk one you pay a small fee each year and get your bill a month after you've used it.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Eurotunnel often have a similar offer.

It's the application/admin fee that's waived.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Just got a tag for Spain, Bip & Drive via CaixaBank. They don't seem to differentiate between car and motorhome, presumably because they are charged at the same rate as long as you are not a tag or twin axle.

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
Yes, any vehicle. I got mine from ATMB in March on a similar offer.
Not using it until June and will be very nervous the first time at a toll !

I got mine from ATMB and it works fine so no need to be nervous.

Jan 13, 2008
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 2008
I've just applied for mine and nowhere does it ask for details of your vehicle so I assume there are cameras or the like on the toll booths which work out what the fee is.

When I looked it does seem to be restricted to vehicles under 3.5 ton and less than 3m which is a pity as ours is 5.5 ton and 3.2m height ☹️

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Can these be used in a car please.

The tag is registered to you personally, not any specific vehicle, so you can use it in any qualifying vehicle that you're travelling in.

The only restriction is that it can only be used in one vehicle at a time i.e. if you're travelling in convoy only one vehicle in the convoy can use it. I've no idea why they particularly specify this, I guess someone must have tried to be clever at some point.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
When I looked it does seem to be restricted to vehicles under 3.5 ton and less than 3m which is a pity as ours is 5.5 ton and 3.2m height ☹️
That makes some sort of sense as I assumed the tag wasn't for trucks. So owners of ubergrossewagens dip out. :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Without wishing to kick of the same boring debate again the tag has no bearing on what class the system detects you as.

If the system detects you as class 1 or class 2 the tag will work. If it detects you as any other class then it won't.

What class you technically are is not relevant.

Ksagic

Free Member
Feb 21, 2015
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890i
Exp

As you can see we are a 9m Burstner tag 5t 3.2m high and have used the Sanef tag for a couple of years now. Its a very simple and efficient system if you are ever using the peage. Application is easy and a direct debit is required, you receive your bill one month after use. Just a case of approaching the Auto T at the toll booth, listen for the 'beep' the barrier goes up, tally ho on yr way again...always a Class 2 on the bill

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
So will a single axel 4250KG, 3mtr high, 7.7mtr long MH be a class 1?, what is the difference between class 1 & class 2, I know how it works for HGV,s here in the UK but not the continent.
Thanks for any guidance on this as we are newbies.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
The full details are on the site ( https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/support/support-Faq.List/what-is-liber-t )but roughly classe 1 is for cars; classe 2 is for caravans and motorhomes under 3.5ton and 3 metres in height; class 3 is for bigger motorhomes with twin axles and classe 4 is for ginormous motorhomes.
There is no check done by the system, as you enter the motorway, you only have to slow to walking pace, the tag beeps and the barrier raises. The only check that I am aware of on exiting the toll is of height and axles (there are rumours out there that they are looking to weigh automatically as well). So if your vehicle is over 3.5 ton, single axle and under 3m then you will sail through as a 2 ( I have never heard anyone, without a tag obviously, offer to pay the classe 3 rate if inadvertently offered the classe 2 rate) but if over about 3.2m (with a dome or aerial) you have to stop, press the help button and explain you are a Motorhomer (Camping Car class deux svp) and in most cases they will let you through as classe 2.
We have a dome which pushes us over the 3m limit but it ensures we normally pay classe 2.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I got the offer through from Euro Tunnel for Free Box, cheaper monthly rental and annual subs etc, but looking into it, as I am over 3 metres in height, have to use their Sister site of Eurotoll as you fall into cat 3 fee bracket. (n) Worth looking into again if you intend to use it. During our Easter Break, I pushed the help buttons on the pay booths to ask for cat 2 Camping Car:sneaky: and all I got was "how to" blurb and beeping from behind.:rolleyes: Only once - using a manned booth, did I get charged cat 2.(y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

Billggski

Free Member
Aug 6, 2013
Stone
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
The tag fits into a clip which is stuck on your windscreen, I have to put it at the bottom because of the overhead bed. In my car I can go through the 30kph lane, but sometimes my safety system reads the height barrier as an obstruction and automatically applies the brakes.
Roof boxes, canoes etc. don't count in your height.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I got the offer through from Euro Tunnel for Free Box, cheaper monthly rental and annual subs etc, but looking into it, as I am over 3 metres in height, have to use their Sister site of Eurotoll as you fall into cat 3 fee bracket. (n) Worth looking into again if you intend to use it. During our Easter Break, I pushed the help buttons on the pay booths to ask for cat 2 Camping Car:sneaky: and all I got was "how to" blurb and beeping from behind.:rolleyes: Only once - using a manned booth, did I get charged cat 2.(y)
Just over 3m tall and over 3.5t in weight and we use the toll booths as often as we can.
Normaly sail through and often dragging a trailer.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Just over 3m tall and over 3.5t in weight and we use the toll booths as often as we can.
Normaly sail through and often dragging a trailer.
is that Paying Class 2 using Sanef Liber-t or class 3 with EuroToll??

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
So will a single axel 4250KG, 3mtr high, 7.7mtr long MH be a class 1?, what is the difference between class 1 & class 2, I know how it works for HGV,s here in the UK but not the continent.
Thanks for any guidance on this as we are newbies.

Check the website
We returned ours as it only covers Class 1 and 2 tolls but our motorhome is class 3
Class 1 is cars or vehicles that have a tax class of disabled
Class 2 is cars with caravans light motorhomes (under 3.5) and vans
Class 3 is larger motorhomes (over 3.5 or 3m) and medium trucks and buses
Class 4 is HGV

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
We returned ours as it only covers Class 1 and 2 tolls but our motorhome is class 3
But your motorhome is apparently 2.95m high and has two axles, so as I understand it you can go as Class 2. They don't know your weight; but if you're voluntary inconveniencing yourself when you don't need to, I admire your honesty.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
And if you have a "blue badge" class 2 goes through as class 1 (car) but you have to go through the manual lane.

6.5. Are there any discounts for disabled people?
Yes. Blue badge holders who have a Class 2 vehicle (not valid for car + caravan) are entitled to be charged at Class 1 rate if the vehicle is adapted for disabled persons. However, in order to be charged at Class 1 rate in the automated lane, you will need to stop and press the intercom button to request the correct toll to be applied. Alternatively you can use the manual lane and hand over your tag to be scanned. Please note the reduction is applied at the discretion of the particular auto route operator of the toll road you are using. More information can be found at http://www.autoroutes.fr/en/services-for-disabled-people.htm

Martin

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
But your motorhome is apparently 2.95m high and has two axles, so as I understand it you can go as Class 2. They don't know your weight; but if you're voluntary inconveniencing yourself when you don't need to, I admire your honesty.

And if you have a "blue badge" class 2 goes through as class 1 (car) but you have to go through the manual lane.

6.5. Are there any discounts for disabled people?
Yes. Blue badge holders who have a Class 2 vehicle (not valid for car + caravan) are entitled to be charged at Class 1 rate if the vehicle is adapted for disabled persons. However, in order to be charged at Class 1 rate in the automated lane, you will need to stop and press the intercom button to request the correct toll to be applied. Alternatively you can use the manual lane and hand over your tag to be scanned. Please note the reduction is applied at the discretion of the particular auto route operator of the toll road you are using. More information can be found at http://www.autoroutes.fr/en/services-for-disabled-people.htm

Martin

@klaatu - we intend to not use Autoroutes and the UK office in Harrogate send your bill out over 1 month AFTER you travelled so it gets difficult if you do not write every toll station down PLUS since we got ours they have now added Spanish Autopisa but would not add them to existing tags
As for weight the Gendarme can take you away and weigh you if they believe you are trying to get through at a lighter weight

The Vehicles have to be ADAPTED and REGISTERED as Disabled in the tax Class
Blue Badges do not normally get you discount even if you scream and shout at them

My old vehicle was registered as Disabled but because it was not adapted they refused to let me have the lower limits
I very much doubt that the motorhome will get class one being 8m long and 2.95m high weighing at 4.250Tonne

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
The offer in the CMC May book shows a photo of a toll booth with a 2 meter height barrier !
I take it there will be other tag booths without a barrier ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back