bill2b

Free Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
We are also doing our first continental MH trip this June, I have been kindly invited to take part in a Sprint meeting here Link Removed
We will be crossing Calais "by boat" and enjoying the trip down most of the others in the team are going from Portsmouth overnight, its a lot more expensive and less time in the MH, we love the driving and sight-seeing hense our choice of crossing :Smile::Smile:

Top Google link Jim, thanks for that :thumb:

One question though, whats an "ACSI " :Blush::Blush:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hi Bev

We are in Cleckheaton so not to far from you at all we have made our mind up know i think, we are going at easter a couple of days at Disney and then stay north maybe go round normandy area and get a feel for france.
Then if everything goes ok and we enjoy it we are going back in July for 2 weeks been looking at the ferries to st Malo like the idea of the overnight ferry thats gets you to france early morning, sleep on board then nice and fresh for the day but like you say not the cheapest.

I have only been to france once which was for work (i am an electrician)and that was in the centre of Paris and i flew not drove.

I am a little nervous with the aires with the kids has someone else mentioned cant really let them run around and play so going to stick to sites where poss and just use aires if we get stuck or tired.

How long have you had your Mizar and are you happy with it we are made up with ours we looked at hundreds but the layout fits our bill 100% no beds to make up large lounge area and separate kitchen area.

Hope you enjoy your trip to france and happy travelling.

Ged
Hi there ,
we got our 18th Dec 09.So its new to us.
Its a 2006 Burgundy stripe interior. Fully winterized too, which was great over the new year on a rally !! No Hook up.
We were lucky as the previous owner had fitted a fiamma zip awning , with all the sides floors etc.
One of those fiamma door lock hand rail things , fiamma 4 bike rack , internal sucker screen and a proper external silver screen
We would have wanted all of them :winky:
Your right about the space, in the GTL Living .
We looked at loads too. Unfortunately the newer version does not have the same lay out. They stopped making it like ours 2006. Stopped putting the Webasto heating in too , I'm told.
Most MH 's we looked at had the 4 rear seats with the table in the middle , like on a train. No swivel cab seats .
We like to lounge around on an evening :thumb:
I also liked the way that the massive above cab bed tilts up , so you feel as though theres even more space.
Ralph has fixed the TV bracket to that( tiltable bed base bit ) BTW, so the kids can watch DVDs on the move .Another thing to Keep them occupied on long journeys.
Who knows we may see each other on our travels ,
Bev Ralph Kids.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
We are also doing our first continental MH trip this June, I have been kindly invited to take part in a Sprint meeting here Link Removed
We will be crossing Calais "by boat" and enjoying the trip down most of the others in the team are going from Portsmouth overnight, its a lot more expensive and less time in the MH, we love the driving and sight-seeing hense our choice of crossing :Smile::Smile:

Top Google link Jim, thanks for that :thumb:

One question though, whats an "ACSI " :Blush::Blush:

Its a discount camping card. Go to either the Viscarous Books (Think Thats How You Spell It) web site or just google "ACSI"

Jim
:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Were in the same boat, first trip to France in the MH. Were going to turn right out of CALAIS and drive south.

We have absolutley no intention of rushing anwhere and I will not under any circumstances drive on consecutive days.

We have no idea where we are going and are looking forward to taking this very, very relaxed approach.

This is the first time I have ever really looked at the map of France and I'm amazed at how large and diverse the country is. Were looking forward to experiencing the French culture and way of life and its as much a journy of dicovery as it is a holiday.

We may very well get stuck with nowhere to stop for the night but wherever we are thats were we will kip.

Jim
:Smile:

Last edited:

bill2b

Free Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Sorry for the change in direction of this thread but...... I got a PM re this thread I sent one back, well I think I did But..... There is nothing showing in my outbox !
Am I doing it right or has poor Mizar now recieved 1/2 a dozen pms without me realising?
:Blush::Blush::Blush:
:roflmto::roflmto:

nicklb

Free Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
12 months
We will be making our first france trip in August, thinking of dove calais / boulogne and just doing normandy and Brittany, thinking of 3 nights at a time and probably on a site as we have a 10 year old and it is his holiday as well, just a quick question, how long is the drive to Brittany from Calais?

kevandmarg

Free Member
Apr 28, 2008
Colne, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We're also making our first trip to France in our motorhome this June but we've been for the last 3 years camping in a tent. First time we went we had two weeks & found we didn't have time to see everything we wanted to so next two holidays were for three weeks. Always used ACSI card for sites, some 7 nights for price 6 available at some sites, prices vary from 11 to 15 euros/night. Price doesn't always reflect the quality of the sites, we've had really good 11 euro sites & relatively poor 15 euro sites, read site descriptions in the ACSI book carefully. We're crossing Dover/Calais on the 5th, maybe we'll see you on our travels .

Kev

bill2b

Free Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
We will be making our first france trip in August, thinking of dove calais / boulogne and just doing normandy and Brittany, thinking of 3 nights at a time and probably on a site as we have a 10 year old and it is his holiday as well, just a quick question, how long is the drive to Brittany from Calais?

Nick
look on Google and click on "Maps" you can select directions and it will then show the distance :Smile::Smile:

suntorfan

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Compass 2 berth
Exp
since March 09
You have lots of good times ahead!! Try the Aire at Arques near St Omer for a first stopover in France - very safe, next to a campsite. 2 euros per night - since getting our motorhome last year we realised very quickly that you cannot cover the same ground as as in a car, and neither should you - chilling out is recommended!! Bon voyage!:Smile:

barnybg

Free Member
Jan 23, 2010
Bulgaria/Greece/Turkey/Wa
Funster No
MH
coahbuilt
Exp
ON and off 10 years but trav 25
France and where ?

Hi,try via michelin route planner,a good idea to print it out too,even if you have Sat Nav.
Another idea i can give you,is to make your way to a lake,can be very beautiful with all ameneties plus FREE camping/stopping.Look on the map carefully,for example theres a big one called Lac-du- Der-chantecoq,down from Reims and to the right on the map from Paris.
Here there is allsorts of watersports,toilets/showers,grassed areas,beach etc OR theres hundreds of canals and quaint villages,I'm sure you will enjoy yourselves,Easter may be a little cold but still an adventure.:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back