Forest site (1 Viewer)

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Looking for a site anywhere south of Birmingham that we can stop at for a couple of nights that is in or next to and has direct access to a forest/open countryside for walking.

We usually go to the Camping in the Forest sites for our countryside fix, but during the Winter they are a bit limited and Setthorns, New Forest is not our favourite.

Has anybody got any suggestions?

OP
OP
Neilfg
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
When said south of Birmingham I meant no further north, so new forest, Kent, Norfolk etc.. all fine.

Not been to Bedgellert, on our list as another Camping in the forest one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
There is a CCC site located in the Clent Hills (Halesowen B62 0NH) which takes you through Clent and the nearby Lickey Hills. Slightly further afield but still in easy reach of these two locations is the Jinney Ring Craft Centre (Bromsgrove B60 4BU) that allow secure camping on site.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
harrow wood farm at bransgore or the caravan club site nearby are good

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I'm darn sure there are any number of em in the Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire - Symonds Yat and other locations - can't personally recommend any but I'm sure others will be able to. It's a bit too sort of close to home for us, which is a bit daft really - always feel I need to go further in order to be 'away' LOL

Upvote 0

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
..yu don't know what you're missing staying south of Birmingham....Delamere Forest is just north of Birmingham...it's beautiful and there is a C&CC site there.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Neilfg
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks for tips, added them to our list.

We really like the sites with little or no facilities, that let you setup in amongst the trees and open glades, hence our liking of the New Forest and Camping in the Forest sites.

Birmingham limit is purely practical in travel time on Friday. We looked at Delamere specifically a bit earlier as they do Concerts in the forest (like Dalby and Cannock), but site all booked for Tom Jones and Elbow.

(Do not post often and just realised this is in the Beginners forum, Doh!)

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
As already mentioned by @sedge there's a Camping In The Forest site in the Forest Of Dean (Bracelands). I was thinking of re-visiting this week to see what's changed, but the weather and work put a stop to that idea.

From memory, I think it's an open glade site with full facilities and they've been adding more hard-standing. You can walk to Symonds Rock via footpaths or the forestry tracks.

Clent Hills C&CC club site, also mentioned, re-opens 31st March. With Easter later this year, it feels like the club sites are all delaying re-opening and until then so there's not so much choice.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Neilfg
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just setup at Setthorns, not our favourite New Forest site but it is open. Shall definitely being trying out some of the others but wait till the clocks go back.

Upvote 0

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
wait till the clocks go back.
Spring forward.......Fall back :D the clocks go forward on March 25th...yippppeeeeee not long to go for even longer evenings...enjoy your forest trip:D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Neilfg
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I blame the wrong words on the phone predictive text.:(

I would like to think I meant clocks going back to what they should always be, but really I got it wrong and it should be forward.:(

We have had a good weekend, heavens opened at about 2am for a couple of minutes but that is all.:D

The family on the next pitch went out and left their alarm going for most of the day thankfully we missed most of it and only got the last 3 hours. They reappeared after dark probably embarrassed to turn up in daylight. But do not think it is going to stop the guy the other side of them to passing on his thoughts.:D

Upvote 0

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
We have had a good weekend, heavens opened at about 2am for a couple of minutes but that is all.:D
Glad the weekend was good....I quite like lying in bed looking at and listening to the rain...especially when it stops once we get up...sounds as if the weather was fairly kind to you...shame about the alarm though.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back