Ford Or Fiat?!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by chris kingman, May 4, 2015.

1. chris kingman

chris kingman Read Only Funster

Hi!
    I'm aware that this may have been discussed many times, but I'm rubbish at searching through forums for ideas!

Ford or fiat?
    Basically we are looking at the Chausson 610 and wondered what people's thoughts were regarding the choice of base vehicle?

Comfort difference?
    Fuel economy difference?
    Reliability?
    Cost of repairs/parts?
    Specification difference?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
    We have sat in both, but I would welcome some more informed opinions/advice
    Cheers, Chris

2. Mr B

Mr B Funster

Don't know about vans, but wouldn't have a ford/Citroen/Peugeot/Volvo derived car engine given. Just my own opinion :mad::mad:

3. Rolo

Rolo Read Only Funster

Have had both Fiat and Ford base vehicles and my personal choice is the Fiat 3ltr 160 multi jet.....

• Like Like x 3
  4. BobtheBass

BobtheBass Funster

In France at the moment in our new Chausson, which is a Ford 155hp Mk8 Transit jobbie and it is absolutely superb. The drive down yesterday in awful weather was just so much better than any motorhome I have driven before, like driving a car with plenty of power. I think any Ford prejudices must be based on earlier models, as the new Transit would be my choice anytime.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

No preference either way ..... think the Fiat has slightly better payload.

FIAT - fix it again tomorrow :)
    FORD - fix or repair daily :)

I am joking. Both engines are powerful and reliable.

610 looks like a dream machine and we may go for that when we change our van in a few years.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

We've had both Ford and Fiat and whilst the Fiat has a more car-like drive, our prevous Ford had a bit more omph and certainly the cruise control on it was better - it kept the speed at the level required constantly, up hill and down dale, whereas the Fiat one slows more on an incline and the speed can increase going down hill as it doesn't appear to have any 'engine braking' which the Ford has (I haven't been inside the new Ford as ours was the previous version).

Ultimately sitting in them will only tell you where all the bits and bobs are and how comfortable the seats are, you really need to have a good drive and see which you prefer.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Minxy Girl

Forgot to say, specification will need to be checked with your dealer as it may be that one make comes with something that the other doesn't and vice versa, for example have they both got air-con, electric mirrors, cruise control, radios as standard, radio controls on the steering wheel etc ... ?

8. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

I have a Ford 135 base that is the workhorse of Paddy and his mates, they are as tough as old boots and go on for ever suffering total neglect. There are no rearwheel drives at all now. I do want a 610 but there are some things on it I do not want some I do. The fords I think look better than the FIATS think Peppa Pig as against wily Oriental look. The ford looks odd because of the black grill if it was coloured then it would be better . The only alternatives are Mercs(mega money) and Renault. Everyone thinks Ford Transit are British but they come from Turkey or mine did.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

The Ford cab always feels claustrophobic compared to the Fiat, the Fiat/Iveco engines are more refined. I've had 2 Fiats both with cruise control never had the problem Mel describes, the current one with Comformatic box is excellent.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

With todays technology is there such a thing as a bad engine in either camp ?
    Both are extremely good bits of kit.
    Yes, there are the occasional duff ones about ( given the amount produced it has to happen sooner or later ! ) but in general I would say they are of equal ability and worth..
    So rather than look at the drive train look at the interior and see what you prefer :)
    For me, it is the Fiat.. I like the lay out and the extras that come as standard.. but it is all down to personal preference rather than reliability :)

• Like Like x 4
  11. chris kingman

Thanks all for you responses!
    It seems like the majority of the adverts I see are for the fiat, however general consensus of opinions seems to favour the ford?
    Tbh I'd take either at the minute!-best carry on saving my pennies! At least my wife is as keen as me - so that's the major obstacle dealt with!
    I guess I need to spend a bit more time sitting in both and working out which is the most comfortable for my height (6'3") as its no fun feeling cramped on a 300+ mile trek to the south of France!

Thanks again!
    Chris

12. Minxy Girl

One thing to consider Chris is your eye-line height when you sit in the driver's seat ... some people find that they end up looking at the closed sun visor rather than through the top of the windscreen! If you're long in the body this could be an issue, if you're long in the leg it shouldn't be so bad.

• Like Like x 1
  13. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

The new Ford seems a very good vehicle, with a 4 X 4 version at a reasonable price. I can't comment on older versions but they are generally smaller than the Fiat's.

If you want a traditional automatic it has to be a Mercedes.

14. rosalan

rosalan Funster

Having owned and driven both, I find very little difference. I did like the dash better on the Ford, with clipboard and somewhere for the drivers drink. The Ford model from Burstner we had, did have a slightly lower seat and better eye-line than the Fiat but our 130 multijet pulls a little better uphill.They are in competition with one another for price and efficiency so rate both as equal depending on the body manufacturer.

15. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Aren't some of the 'Transit' engines Fiat units ?
    Thought the 2.3 was ?
    Yes & they are setting up a new production line in Valencia now to keep up with demand.

16. lou020

lou020 Funster

iv'e always been a ford man,and always wanted a ford based motorhome but after buying my 160 3.0 fiat based m/h and we recently got a mk 7 transit at work ,i very much prefer driving the fiat, the driving position is better with a decent coloured dash. I particularly dont like that anti stall feature with the transit,
    i prefer to be in control of the throttle when setting off.
    As for the new shape transit,,,just pug ugly,, the worst looking front iv'e ever seen.i wouldn't buy one.

• Like Like x 1
  17. DiggerJon

DiggerJon Funster

The only fault I can find with my 2011 Ford is the instrument binnacle which you cannot see in bright light as the instruments are buried down a dark tunnel and my eyes cannot adjust from bright screen to dark instruments - chance the satnav always used as a speedo! Mechanically, over 4 years I have not had one, no, not one even minor problem at all. I'd have another Ford - if I could see the instruments!

18. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

I have enough trouble ticking all the other boxes - layout, payload, layout - without worrying what's carrying the thing.

19. chris kingman

I had the same problem! But one afternoon I was passing the local motorhome dealer and they had the new chausson 610 welcome in stock, it just seemed to tick all of my wish list! - garage/plenty of internal storage/modern furnishings/4seatbelts/a fairly sizeable lounge (bigger than most of the other van in the chausson range) so plenty of room for me to lay about!/ plus you can order it with an external fold out BBQ grill!

And it is not too long either, so hopefully doesn't become too much of a nightmare down smaller roads!

20. colyboy

colyboy Funster

FORDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.

colyboy