For all you middle lane hoggers (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
And fail your test. You can indicate as much as you want to but on a test you would fail for unnecessary indication.
I agree with indicating only when necessary, but if you are taking your test and you think it is necessary or another person would benefit from your use of indicators, then use them.
Then, tell the examiner why you are doing it.
It shows awareness of your surroundings, which will go down very well with your examiner.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
And drug squad officers wouldn’t have a clue how to write up a driving offence.

It would be like a holiday to them, what they are doing is seriously grim. They found a teenage lad with £40,000 of heroin "hidden in his body". It's seriously bad.

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Any idea what they consider to be ‘safe’ indicating ? I was taught that if there’s anyone around to benefit from an indication, I will indicate, which I adopt in any country in which I’m driving.

I notice that a lot of French drivers on dual carriageways leave their indicators flashing throughout a whole multi vehicle overtaking manoeuvre and only cancel them once the overtake is complete.
My normal method is to indicate while I’m moving out, or changing lane for the overtake and cancel the indicator once I’m fully in the overtaking lane.

Are the French just being lazy by leaving their indicators on, or is that the correct ‘French’ way and do the authorities expect that the indicator remains on until you are back out of the overtaking lane ?

TIA

I was told a few years ago that the gendarmes expect you to leave your indicator flashing throughout the manoeuvre - my informant was a young English estate agent who had been ticked off for not doing so. I don't know how true that was - I haven't found anything in the 'Code de la Route' to confirm it.

I indicate the same as you - when necessary and only to indicate the lane change. I don't indicate to regain my original lane after the overtake - what's the point, where else are you going to go?

Those that belt up behind traffic in lane 3 with their left indicator going are usually in a hurry and are either using it to let the vehicle ahead know they are there and impatient - or they're hoping to use it as a plough....:)

I think it's the way they are taught, like being told to get it in top gear as soon as possible and leave it there. You have probably noticed how the wallow round bends over the white line with hardly any control over the car, because they never change down and take the corner in the correct gear.

I think that applies to every nationality!

Fat chance of any enforcement here in the UK - Plod can't keep up with the untaxed, uninsured, no MOT and illegally foreign registered cars to make middle lane hogging a priority.

Fear not - Johnson's opening a box of 20000 very soon!........:rofl::rofl::rofl:

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
It would be like a holiday to them, what they are doing is seriously grim. They found a teenage lad with £40,000 of heroin "hidden in his body". It's seriously bad.
I’m not disputing the seriousness of drugs use and the potential for harm. I’ve worked as part of a drugs squad.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Since the demise of Traffic Policing, the government can bring in all sorts of driving laws, but with no one to enforce them, nothing will change and the standard of driving will get worse.

And drug squad officers wouldn’t have a clue how to write up a driving offence.
Absolutely impossible to disagree with this statement if you have any knowledge at all.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
In France I leave the indicator on when overtaking and indicate the other way before pulling back to the right hand lane - why wouldn't I act as expected. Otherwise you can almost hear them swearing "Ils sont cons ces GiBis"

I assume there is an invisible pedestrian, cyclist or biker about to cross my path so I indicate even when there seems to be nobody else in sight. Again, why not. It costs nothing.

Not as though I drive a Beemer. Or a White Van/[insert other exempt road user category]

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
But ok to kill a biker in your blind spot :)
I really think that the biker should avoid putting themselves in the blind spot to start with, and encouraging drivers to look around and be aware rather that just "signal manoeuvre" can not be a bad thing.

Martin

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It’s about time the UK started doing something similar.
They do. They should be picking it up off traffic cameras & sending out a million fines a day judging by the amountdown here, permanently marooned in the middle lane to the extent that on cruise I just pass by on the inside lane.
I notice that a lot of French drivers on dual carriageways leave their indicators flashing throughout a whole multi vehicle overtaking manoeuvre and only cancel them once the overtake is complete.
Might be like spain where it means " I wish to pass" . You can see cars following each other for miles but as soon as the indicator goes on the one in front usually pulls over.
Are the French just being lazy by leaving their indicators on, or is that the correct ‘French’ way and do the authorities expect that the indicator remains on until you are back out of the overtaking lane ?
I believe so. I've always left mine on until I have completed the maneouvre.

Jul 9, 2017
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
I never, ever indicate when I pull out to over take and I never ever indicate when I am pulling back in because I never, ever over take anything...

JJ :cool:
Yes I just love getting stuck behind someone who won't or not sure how to overtake some of the most dangerous drivers on the road.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
So far has anyone read the actual post it only seems to be a 35 euro fine and only if you are obstructing the police!!!!

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I agree with indicating only when necessary, but if you are taking your test and you think it is necessary or another person would benefit from your use of indicators, then use them.
Then, tell the examiner why you are doing it.
It shows awareness of your surroundings, which will go down very well with your examiner.
I can't disagree with you, however on a hgv/psv you have a lot longer and you can explain as much as you like but it'll certainly go against you.
As a company hgv assessor, I made all aware BUT do make sure that IF the driver is absolutely sure that indication is necessary then do it but he also very aware that if it isn't, then that could and would contribute towards a failure

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Yes I just love getting stuck behind someone who won't or not sure how to overtake some of the most dangerous drivers on the road.

I don't understand...

Surely you don't mean that some one who never overtakes anything is a dangerous driver?

No, you can't possibly mean that!

JJ :cool:

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
To be fair to the intransigent Middle Lane Hogs (or CLOCs) it would help if the UK's motorways were in a better state of repair. Lane 1 is more lumpy and some stretches have appalling potholes. When overtaking I do linger in lane 2 a bit longer than perhaps I should, but it gives some respite from all the boneshaking in lane 1.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
To be fair to the intransigent Middle Lane Hogs (or CLOCs) it would help if the UK's motorways were in a better state of repair. Lane 1 is more lumpy and some stretches have appalling potholes. When overtaking I do linger in lane 2 a bit longer than perhaps I should, but it gives some respite from all the boneshaking in lane 1.
You should try the A12 sometime.
If you get to the other end with all your cupboards where you left them you’re doing well. :Eeek:

Richard

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I don't indicate to regain my original lane after the overtake - what's the point, where else are you going to go?
It is useful to anyone behind that's about to overtake you. It's not where - but when. If in the outside lane it may prevent someone moving into the middle lane from the inside just as you're about to move in.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
The only answer to the drug problem is to legalise all drugs. But "they" will never do it.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I thought they changed the law here a couple of years back or maybe didn't change it but said they would implement it and fine middle lane hoggers, i've yet to hear of anyone being fined
Who is going to implement any laws in UK..Law and order is a joke.BUSBY.

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
HGV indicates to pull out and 9/10 car drivers speed up so they don't have to let you out....retards!

Middle lane hogger sat there at 50mph, you're up their backsides trying not to lose momentum when eventually they shuffle across to the slow lane but, you're trying to get past them at 56mph and they speed up...retards.

Apparently the UK introduced legislation to make middle lane hogging illegal but I've never heard of anyone getting nicked yet.

Highway code clearly states keep left except when overtaking. There are some shocking drivers out there.....none of hem have Funster stickers though

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
It is useful to anyone behind that's about to overtake you. It's not where - but when. If in the outside lane it may prevent someone moving into the middle lane from the inside just as you're about to move in.

Can't argue with that - it's all about situational awareness, so often lacking on the road wherever you are:confused:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
In France I leave the indicator on when overtaking and indicate the other way before pulling back to the right hand lane - why wouldn't I act as expected. Otherwise you can almost hear them swearing "Ils sont cons ces GiBis"

I assume there is an invisible pedestrian, cyclist or biker about to cross my path so I indicate even when there seems to be nobody else in sight. Again, why not. It costs nothing.

Not as though I drive a Beemer. Or a White Van/[insert other exempt road user category]
BMW are not fitted with indicators..BUSBY :) :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back