following on from ; benefits of two stroke oil

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by rupert, Nov 9, 2015.

1. rupert

rupert Funster

anyone tried "terraclean" to keep their engine clean.
    I've been tempted, but after speaking to a local provider of this service,i decided they weren't experienced enough to be trusted with mine..any views ??

2. andy63

andy63 Funster

Hi Alan. Not heard of the product so had a wee Google. .
    Didn't look at the cost either but there are good and bad reports.. There seems little doubt it does clean the fuel system and combustion areas,but the engine has to be in good condition for any benefits.. Most of the negative reviews came from people who had used it on old or worn engines and the cleaning process just made matters worse... I'm sure you have read the same reviews..
    For me the best way to look after an engine is regular oil changes..and by that I mean more regular than the makers usual service interval... even if they say modern oils last longer... I do mine every 6 to 9 months regardless of the mileage..
    Nothing wrong with a can of forte cleaner and every now and then a fill of the more expensive fuel..

How much for the treatment you mention above???
    Ramble over lol and your thread has a bump for someone who might know something about the terraclean treatment.. :LOL:
    Ta Andy

• Like Like x 2
  3. rupert

rupert Funster

hi andy i was offered the service for £90 some months ago. i first saw it on wheeler dealers,ed china was singing its praises.but found out later he was given £1000's of terraclean equipment to endorse it. I'm hearing its growing in popularity as a maintenance procedure for egr and dpf de-coking amongst other benefits. but would of course, like to hear from those with first hand knowledge

4. andy63

andy63 Funster

Not as expensive as I thought it might be..
    I don't have a dpf. But The transits and many others can suffer from the egr valve getting gummed and carboned up plus the whole inlet manifold and ports...
    I cleaned my intake side up from turbo ,intercooler,manifold and ports.. (a real messy job and a pita ) then got the egr function mapped out of the ecu...just disconnected it after that (electronic actuation) so hopefully no more problems with that..
    Anyway like you will watch for any comments on your question..
    Ta andy

• Like Like x 1
  5. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

Hey @andy63 you are up late tonight !

• Like Like x 1
  6. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

terraclean and similar treatments are a great idea if used before an engine gets too coked up. it only takes tiny lumps of carbon scale or waxy deposits to start moving through the system to cause blockages

i have seen a promo video and the muck collected from a system used regularly on cheap low quality diesel is amazing. part of that featured ed china's endorsement too

• Like Like x 1
  7. Neckender

Neckender Funster

You've been watching what?

John.

• Like Like x 1
  8. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

9. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Most folk are unaware that pretty much every modern oil has a detergent additive in it that dissipates over about 2000 miles

I often berate folk who do oil changes every five minutes instead of at the vehicle manufacturers recommended intervals
    Three things
    1) Unless you have shares in oil you are just giving your lolly to those with less need !
    2) You might think you know more than the people who designed the engine and set the service intervals, but believe me, it is unlikely
    3) Change the oil too often and you are running your engine almost all the time on detergent oil.. not good !

And a thought for all those who believe you need an oil change every year no matter what mileage is done.. When was the last time you bought a can of oil with a sell by date on it ?

Whilst I am sure there are some worthwhile additives out there, using a reasonable quality oil and changing it when you are supposed to is probably far better for your lump than adding a lot of goo in it !

• Like Like x 2
  10. rupert

rupert Funster

hi jaws thanks for the input.. i didn't know the detergent part of the oil dissipated after 2000 mls.. where does it go ?
    a can of oil won't go off if kept in tin ,but in an engine is subjected to all sorts of nasties from the combustion chambers.
    stop start/ cold running makes it even worse so may require more oil changes
    terraclean is not an additive as such, more of a fuel as i understand. (no goo) lol
    although not as popular as i thought, at least with funsters

11. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

terraclean is a flushing agent and pump system that gets temporarily connected and rinses out all the build up from the fuel system

• Like Like x 1
  12. Phill D

Phill D

I am one of he school that says modern oils are very sophisticated and designed to do a job by people who not only know more about it than "little old me" but have also stress tested it. So I change oil and filter at the required mileage interval or after 2 years which ever is sooner as recommended by FIAT my engine manufacturer.

I spoke with the technical department of FIAT and they were categorical in stating that every year for the sake of it ( or as is often stated by local agents who want your dosh! ) is not necessary.

However; its each to their own; its the individuals motorhome and therefore their choice to make.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Phill D

Phill D

that being the case i guess its done as part of a oil service interval

14. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

You are quite right there........ the manufacturers spend a fortune developing engines and their lubricants. My ex employers tested about 1.2 million lube oil samples per year from various engines as part of a monitoring system

• Like Like x 1
  15. rupert

rupert Funster

then why oh why do egr valves etc get carboned up and leave us in limp mode
    these oils/ detergents are not coping

16. andy63

andy63 Funster

Hi Alan the carbon deposit that builds up in the egr valve and the inlet manifold and ports is a result of the exhaust gases....The engine oil won't have much effect on that other than the small quantities that end carrying over getting burnt and carried into the exhaust gases...
    To deal with that problem you need to introduce a cleaner into the air inlet side...but my thoughts are you are better removing the effected parts and physically cleaning them... I mentioned above how I sorted the problem. It's been deleted from ecu and disconnected now for around 6 months and done around 6000 miles and with no problems so far..
    Techno did an article on dealing with his egr valve.. and i posted some pictures of mine on same thread which may be worth a read..
    Andy

• Like Like x 1
  17. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

Don't think there will be much interest on her as it's a old van
    every one likes talking abut newer ones.

On my fiat 2.5 the supplier I use is recommending a semi synthetic oil for my engine he says it will be better for it less oil changes
    since the rebuild I have ben using a mineral oil as original hand book recommends apparently
    its 1990 2.5 TD SOFAN 8140 engine
    bill

18. Peter A Forbes

Peter A Forbes Funster

Oil is cheap insurance for your engine. 12000 mile intervals with fully synthetic diesel oil are great when a vehicle is new, but 6000 mile intervals is far better on an older engine.

Detergents or dispersants have been in oils since just after WWII, they were first used I believe by Caterpillar on their diesel engines.

We run our PETROL V8 discovery on semi-synthetic diesel oil, it's done 85k+ on a new engine and no problems at all, plus it is nice and clean inside.

I don't think that the detergents go away, but the build up of combustion deposits in the oil limits their effectiveness.

We buy our Chevron Supreme 10W-40 Semi-Synthetic oil from Costco.

Peter

• Like Like x 2
  19. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

As Andy63 replied...... Wrong side of the piston rings!!

EGR valves get gummed up - many are due to the nature of the driving (e.g. Short journeys) or probably not very good design either. Nissan does not recommend buying a diesel Qashqai for instance, if it is only going to be used for the school run

• Like Like x 1
  20. rupert

rupert Funster

Thanks for the input guys.
    The boast from Terraclean is that their system will remove carbon deposits from.. egr. oxy sensor.valves.injectors. exhaust.etc.
    virtually everywhere.
    Thats a very big claim, and why I'm asking if any funster has tried it, and can give any feedback