Fogstar Drift Battery Overload. (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Just reading someone else's post about SOC

As I did, I momentarily overloaded the battery.

Now the Victron Inverter won't charge and the Battery app shows Zero charge along with Red Battery Icon.

Im about to leave for the airport, sent an email to Fogstar

Anyone know how to re-set pleasE?
620DBB95-3681-40A5-8996-5670C2EB577B.png

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
Try clearing the history for the app on your phone and then relaunch it.

Pete

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Have you an on off button on the battery? May be turn off and on.
Next, what warnings are showing in the list on the app?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rwg

Sep 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
Benivan 120
Exp
Since 2021
The app shows 'Short Circuit Detection (SCD)' in the Protect History page, so that would imply that the BMS is set up to at least try to deal with overload/short circuit situations.

Maybe it waits for disconnection of external connections (no load, no external voltage) before the short circuit protection resets? That's what I'd try as a first attempt anyway. Be interesting to hear what Fogstar say, and I hope the battery turns out to be OK.

cheers,

Robin

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
There is a setting in the advanced setting with a recovery time. So I guess it should reset itself.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
SCP resets itself after 60 seconds, IF, you disconnect every charge discharge source from the battery. On re connection any charger or inverter that has capacitors, you need a pre charge resistor to protect the battery and going in to SCP again.
I use a pencil sharpened both ends, and used that in line before I make the connection to mppt, inverter etc. I hold it for about 10-15 seconds to precharge the caps in the mppt, so it does not spark or surge, if it surges, the bms will disconnect with SCP.

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
SCP resets itself after 60 seconds, IF, you disconnect every charge discharge source from the battery. On re connection any charger or inverter that has capacitors, you need a pre charge resistor to protect the battery and going in to SCP again.
I use a pencil sharpened both ends, and used that in line before I make the connection to mppt, inverter etc. I hold it for about 10-15 seconds to precharge the caps in the mppt, so it does not spark or surge, if it surges, the bms will disconnect with SCP.
thanks Raul

Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2015, still learning
If you download the xiaoxiang app and pay the £7 to be able to adjust the settings you will see a toggle switch called “load detect switch”. This is used in the event of a short circuit and perhaps shutdown. Might be worth a go? Understand that the Fogstar app is a version of the xioxiang app. Might be able to do it in the settings there too?

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
If you download the xiaoxiang app and pay the £7 to be able to adjust the settings you will see a toggle switch called “load detect switch”. This is used in the event of a short circuit and perhaps shutdown. Might be worth a go? Understand that the Fogstar app is a version of the xioxiang app. Might be able to do it in the settings there too?
If it has that function, it’s good, it works like a pre charge, what it does cancels the trigger time for SCP, and allows the caps to charge. Seplos has that function and is valid for 3seconds, enough to charge the caps.

Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
EuroTrotters , may I ask what you mean by “overloaded” the battery? Sorry, still learning bits.

If it was over voltage protection it may just need the discharge turned on until the voltage drops to the preset level. Just a thought.

Cush

Last edited:
OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
EuroTrotters , may I ask what you mean by “overloaded” the battery? Sorry, still learning bits.

If it was over voltage protection it may just need the discharge turned on until the voltage drops to the preset level. Just a thought.

Cush
The 105ah Fogstar is connected to my Victron MultiPlus 2000va Inverter / Charger.

I have wired it all in via a Sergeant Auto Changeover unit that automatically switches from Shore/Generator/Battery

Battery was fully charged

I accidentally turned on a 2kw fan heater. It shut down and then I got the error above.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have wired it all in via a Sergeant Auto Changeover unit that automatically switches from Shore/Generator/Battery
Why?
One of the main reasons for buying a Multiplus is that it has that build in.

Dec 28, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson 627GA
Exp
Hi,

Had a similar problem with a 230AH Fogstar which showed 0% charge abruptly - Fogstar told me it was the BMS out of sync with the state of charge as it needs a full charge (100%) every couple of cycles to reset the Ah counter.

It was ok for a couple of months then happened again when I knew it had a recent 100% charge - couldn't get to the bottom of it with Fogstar however they did offer a full refund (after 8 months) or full diagnostic/repair - didn't want to lose the battery for that long so opted for a refund.

I found raising a support ticket more productive than an email direct.

Hope that helps.

Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
The 105ah Fogstar is connected to my Victron MultiPlus 2000va Inverter / Charger.

Battery was fully charged

I accidentally turned on a 2kw fan heater. It shut down and then I got the error above.
If it’s a case of exceeding the max continuous discharge rate for that battery (100 amps), then it might need isolated from the system and have a charger that doesn’t need to detect a charge across the terminals to put some charge back in. There are some good Fogstar social groups around where I’m sure they will have a solution for Turing your battery back on. Fingers crossed

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
If it’s a case of exceeding the max continuous discharge rate for that battery (100 amps), then it might need isolated from the system and have a charger that doesn’t need to detect a charge across the terminals to put some charge back in. There are some good Fogstar social groups around where I’m sure they will have a solution for Turing your battery back on. Fingers crossed
Thank you .

It was momentarily overloaded, not drained.

It was showing 10.9v across the terminals. But the victron or mobile charger could not charge the battery.

Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Thank you .

It was momentarily overloaded, not drained.

It was showing 10.9v across the terminals. But the victron or mobile charger could not charge the battery.
Modern smart charger may need to detect a bit more across the terminals. I understand that although a LiFePO4 can be “turned off” there is still a small reading across the terminals. This is not enough to do anything useful. I would try a dumb charger for a short time. Are you able to see the individual cell voltages? They all good?

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Modern smart charger may need to detect a bit more across the terminals. I understand that although a LiFePO4 can be “turned off” there is still a small reading across the terminals. This is not enough to do anything useful. I would try a dumb charger for a short time. Are you able to see the individual cell voltages? They all good?
tried a dumb charger !

here is the screenshot of cells
BFF7B8EC-2A8B-42D4-B0C8-ACDD0CB8D708.png
317B44BD-AD7B-4343-B316-1E25A36EC31D.png
627DF43E-DE36-49AE-8F3E-87E1756D2953.png

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Why is it we only seem to read about Fogstar lithium battery problems,or am I missing other battery posts? No pun intended :rolleyes:

Is it because they sell more than anyone else?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Why is it we only seem to read about Fogstar lithium battery problems,or am I missing other battery posts? No pun intended :rolleyes:

Is it because they sell more than anyone else?
They have sold a lot to Funsters so quite popular on here, there are quite a few posts about problems with other makes. It is still only a very few batteries that have had problem but for some reason the Fogtar threads appear to drag on maybe because they are a good price and more people are interested in them.

From what I have seen their customer service is good and I've not seen anything that would put me off buying them. They use good quality cells most of the problem has been the communication between the BMS and the phone Bluetooth app.
One recent long running thread the problem was solved when the user bought a modern phone. I don't think you can blame Fogstar for that it happens with all sorts of apps and computer programs.

On this thread Trev's problem is self inflicted he put a 170 amp load on the battery who's max current is speced at 100 amps. The BMS has turned off to protect the battery OK you would have expected it to reset so there is a problem with the BMS but it was a hell of an overload.

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Thank you Lenny HB all good to know (y)

Your about early Lenny,what’s going on :rofl::rofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun