Flooding; be careful where you park

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Mattyjwr, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

This video shows how quickly dried up river channels can flood, particularly in normally dry environments. Apologies if you do not use Facebook, where the video is embedded - I am not certain that you will be able to see it but for those that do ...

I've seen the power of water that washed tents, cars, lorries and motor homes away - I hope that peeps look for high ground when camping / parking :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  2. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

My car got washed 50 yards down the street in a flood in the middle of Jeddah after a rainstorm. There are very few drains there and usually blocked by sand anyway. Sent my driver out to tie it to a lamp post to stop it going further. After the water subsided he went out and opened the doors, let the water out and amazingly it started. Gave it back to the lease company and got one a little less moist........

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Folk killed every year in places like Oman etc by flash floods. Tourists too from time to time. The wadis are huge and until you see a video like that you wonder why they are given the place is so parched most of the time. The rain falls in the mountains, miles away and catches people out who are basking in sunshine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

I was thinking of similar things when I posted @DBK - I know how tempting it is to camp close to small streams but they can easily become flooded nightmares even in tamer countries such as Spain. There was a programme reconstructing a flash flood recently with someone like Bear Grylls and he almost didn't make it out alive when the flood waters came.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Yep seen floods in Yanbu with distant clouds and blue skies.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1