Fitting Wifi for van and home (1 Viewer)

Sep 27, 2021
Inverness, Highland, Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
Hi all
We decided to fit a Motorhome Wifi Ready for 5g drop the phone line and use the wifi for the house , great succes using a Huawai router B535-E443-5g with a TP Link AC1750 and an unlimited Smarty sim , The router stays in the van parked outside and the Tp link boosts the signal the furthest room away from the van still has 10m so good for most things.

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
BT offer broadband without landline nowadays. We have it. We got rid of our landline a couple of years back and have never missed it. Its about £30 a month.
But if your set up does the job. Why not.

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
A problem with not having a router at home when you are away it that you will not be able to view CCTV cameras or control your home lights and heating (Hive etc)

OP
OP
B
Sep 27, 2021
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
I am afraid we are not that high tec We have just have a good alarm system with its own WIFI connected to the police, lights on timers and the heating set to 8 degrees

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B
Sep 27, 2021
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
What speeds are you getting op ?
The worst I get is at the longest point from the van which is about 40 metres and is 15m the tester shows ping 36 download 12.77mbps upload 19.5 mbps
These figures were taken 2 min ago from my phone app iWIFI these figures dont mean anything to me I just know that I can run everything I need I recently added the TP booster and that is sited the other side of a very thick wall from the van in the garage and has made a huge difference

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I did consider it even bought a 4g router but the boss refused to give up the land line so I returned the router. Worked well but neighbours across the road tried it but couldn't get a strong enough signal for streaming (we have direct line of sight across fields to a cell mast) .
The plan was to put a PAYG sim in the router when away so we could still communicate with the house when away.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
The worst I get is at the longest point from the van which is about 40 metres and is 15m the tester shows ping 36 download 12.77mbps upload 19.5 mbps
These figures were taken 2 min ago from my phone app iWIFI these figures dont mean anything to me I just know that I can run everything I need I recently added the TP booster and that is sited the other side of a very thick wall from the van in the garage and has made a huge difference
You may want to restart the router and extender if your download speed is lower then your upload. It's unusual that is and you may get faster download speeds. (Could be other things but router restart is the first port of call)

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Lenny HB Do you know if your neighbour used a LAN connection or Wifi, Router to TV.
I’d considered a Teltonika directional aerial on the chimney stack, direct line of sight to the mast only about 1/2 mile away with a Teltonika RUT or RUTX router into the centre’ish downstairs of the house, connecting the two TV’s, living room/conservatory with good quality LAN cables.
I wondered what loss there would be though from aerial to router, around 6-8 mtrs if I could get a direct route.
All this has changed now due to Hull, at last getting proper competition to the monopoly of KCOM, so I’ll wait awhile .
I would have replicated our van set up which is brilliant, cheap data only EE sim in the router and transfer data from phones as required.
We would get rid of the landline but it’s free with the KCOM package so no saving.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
We use a cheapo Chinese repeater in the house from the Tescomobile SIM in the Huawei router in the moho. The CCTV is connected to a USB dongle with a separate Lebara SIM that I put about 1Gb on if we go away. Works for us.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
You may want to restart the router and extender if your download speed is lower then your upload. It's unusual that is and you may get faster download speeds. (Could be other things but router restart is the first port of call)
Additionally, a first step could be to repeat the test a few times and get a pattern.
That one posted test could be indicative or one effected by the testing device, other network traffic, etc.
But, as you say, downloads are usually higher than uploads. yy

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I am afraid we are not that high tec We have just have a good alarm system with its own WIFI connected to the police, lights on timers and the heating set to 8 degrees

We have no alarm, I turn the heating off to save money and switch the power off to the lights! We are even less techy than you! :LOL:

OP
OP
B
Sep 27, 2021
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
I did consider it even bought a 4g router but the boss refused to give up the land line so I returned the router. Worked well but neighbours across the road tried it but couldn't get a strong enough signal for streaming (we have direct line of sight across fields to a cell mast) .
The plan was to put a PAYG sim in the router when away so we could still communicate with the house when away.
Hi lenny I think ours is working because of the Motor home WIFI Antenna we are about a mile from our nearest WIFI mast

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Hi lenny I think ours is working because of the Motor home WIFI Antenna we are about a mile from our nearest WIFI mast
If we had gone down that route I would have fitted a directional antenna high up on the house to ensure maximum signal.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We too have ditched the BT Broadband and home phone line, and are getting our internet via a TP Link Archer MR600 Router, currently using a Vodafone sim card with 200Gb of data allowance per month, including WiFi calling.

I have to say that every time I carry out a speed test, depending upon the time of day, the results are invariably almost double that of what BT were providing us with, both on upload and download speeds. (y)

We are fortunate enough to be a couple of hundred yards away from the exchange and mast, so placing the router on an upstairs window sill, appears to be receiving an adequate signal for streaming, without the need for an external antenna.
Including the Ring Doorbell, I have 5 x items connected at any one time, with the choice of either the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz channels, (automatic).

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
@Lenny HB Do you know if your neighbour used a LAN connection or Wifi
We were just checking data speeds with my router (TP Link MR600) Only getting 2-3mb/s
In my house 50yds away in the hall which is center of the house I was getting 35mb/s but in the conservatory next to the field I was getting 66mb/s. Wouldn't have been practical to site it there as no network cabling.

6-8 m of cabling from an antenna would give quite a lose, best to keep antenna cables as short as possible.

Problem with using mobile data speed can vary enormously depending on how many connections on the cell so not worth doing unless you have a really strong signal and data at its slowest is around 20mb/s.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back