Fitting leisure batteries question

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by gazza280, Jan 29, 2014.

1. gazza280

gazza280 Read Only Funster

Hi Guys

This is going to sound like a stupid question to anyone who knows but here goes

I recently bought 2 new leisure batteries but I haven't installed them yet. My brother in law wants to put them in for me tomorrow but is insisting that the engine battery does not need to be disconnected and it just needs the RCB and all appliances turned off. This is mainly to preserve the settings on the alarm, radio etc.

Well call me naive but I always thought that all batteries should be disconnected before doing any work on the electrics? There is no isolator.

My question, is he right ?
    I'm not going to let him do it before checking with you guys!!

Many thanks
    Gary

2. daisy mae

daisy mae Read Only Funster

My Husband disconnected my two leisure batteries as I wanted to replace them with one larger one to free up storage place, after doing so he said I wouldn't get a bigger one in, so he put them back, He didn`t disconnect the vehicle battery.

Whether that was right or wrong I wouldn`t know, I am new to motorhoming, as far as technical things are concerned.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  3. Wickolad

Wickolad Funster

Hi, there is no reason whatsoever to disconnect the vehicle battery. If you have electric hook up connected, just turn off the charger or even disconnect the hook up. The vehicle battery is independent of the leisure battery.:Smile:

4. Peter_n_Margaret

Peter_n_Margaret Read Only Funster

They may not be independent.
    The vehicle crank battery may be connected to the house system to enable alternator charging of the house batteries, but there is still no requirement to disconnect the crank.
    Certainly disconnect the 230V charger power supply.

Cheers,
    Peter

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

they certainly shouldnt be directly linked or all batteries, including the engine battery, will be discharged in use.

The hab batteries should be connected to the engine battery via a split charge relay, which will, of course, be disconnected without the engine running.

Not only should the charger be turned off if on hookup (or hookup unplugged) but any solar panel, if fitted, should be disconnected or covered as well.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 1