Fitting an inverter? (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
I intend to fit an inverter! I was thinking of fitting it in the garage near the battery, fitting a plug into the socket and taking a lead with a socket on the end, so that I can have it in a more convenient place . Is this possible?

Colyboy

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Yes, the closer it is to the battery it is the better. Less loss on the high current low voltage side.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Sounds perfect to me.

Just remember they can be a constant drain so connecting via heavy duty switch so you can isolate it when parked up is a good idea.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
colyboy
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Hi hilldweller

What I take it are saying if not in use, switch at the inverter?

colyboy

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Ive always only switched off on the inverter. Never had a problem and never had a mega large wattage switch on the DC input side.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Ive always only switched off on the inverter. Never had a problem and never had a mega large wattage switch on the DC input side.
Did you fit a fuse? That's the minimum protection but an isolating switch is extra protection and (some) inverters still take a current when they are switched "off".

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
In installed my inverter within two feet of the batteries with a lead from them to a battery isolator switch then to the inverter protected by a 15 amp fuse . From the inverter I ran a cable along the chassis to the front of the van to power a double socket. Works fine and I can isolate the batteries if I wish when not on EHU and not driving for a while.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
In installed my inverter within two feet of the batteries with a lead from them to a battery isolator switch then to the inverter protected by a 15 amp fuse . From the inverter I ran a cable along the chassis to the front of the van to power a double socket. Works fine and I can isolate the batteries if I wish when not on EHU and not driving for a while.
Must be a very small inverter to take a 15A fuse
A 1000w inverter can draw over 80A DC

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Sounds perfect to me.

Just remember they can be a constant drain so connecting via heavy duty switch so you can isolate it when parked up is a good idea.

But not the inbuilt on/off switch....a separate switch big enough to take the current.

Why the need for a heavy duty switch? The inbuilt switch or the remote types that plug in switch off the power totally on mine so why complicate it and add extra cost?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you get an inverter with a remote on/off you can control it from inside the van.

Martin

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I was thinking of fitting it in the garage near the battery,

I fitted one of these because my inverter is under the seats next to the batteries and a pig to get at.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Why the need for a heavy duty switch? The inbuilt switch or the remote types that plug in switch off the power totally on mine so why complicate it and add extra cost?

Because even when switched off there is still a drain, albeit small, on the batteries if it's still connected. At least that's what the instructions on mine say and they also recommend an isolator.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Because even when switched off there is still a drain, albeit small, on the batteries if it's still connected. At least that's what the instructions on mine say and they also recommend an isolator.
Mine is a sunshine solar unit and there is no drain at all. I suppose different brands use different systems to shut down.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Mine is a sunshine solar unit and there is no drain at all. I suppose different brands use different systems to shut down.

Mine is a different make. I was just quoting the instruction and installation booklet, obviously different makes vary.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

I hope you've proved that with a meter. Any remote controlled and switched with a piddling little switch may have a standby drain, it might be small but if parked up over the winter it can still flatten your battery.

Same with a TV, I have an in-line switch in the TV power feed to kill the standby current.

A bit of current here, at there and then "can anyone tell me which leisure battery to buy this one is rubbish".

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Each time I have fitted an inverter, I have installed it so that it powers all the sockets when switched from shore to chassis power.

So much easier.

I used a contactor on the first three which is detailed on here somewhere. But that can buzz an annoy you on some installations. So with this van, I am going to adopt the relay system that techno on here used.

TM

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I hope you've proved that with a meter. Any remote controlled and switched with a piddling little switch may have a standby drain, it might be small but if parked up over the winter it can still flatten your battery.

Same with a TV, I have an in-line switch in the TV power feed to kill the standby current.

A bit of current here, at there and then "can anyone tell me which leisure battery to buy this one is rubbish".

And that type is the one that will have a small standby current to monitor the push button.

Yes all tested and it has the remote unit fitted and does not draw any current.
I do not understand why you keep saying there has to be a standby current monitoring the switch (not a push button on mine).
The design if done correctly will not use any power unless like an alarm system has to be powered permanently to work.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I do not understand why you keep saying there has to be a standby current monitoring the switch (not a push button on mine).

I don't think I've said "has to be" rather might be. It's all down to the designer.

OK, just spotted "will have" on one post, so prove me wrong.

As a matter of interest what resolution was the ammeter you used to said NO current ?

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I don't think I've said "has to be" rather might be. It's all down to the designer.

OK, just spotted "will have" on one post, so prove me wrong.

As a matter of interest what resolution was the ammeter you used to said NO current ?
I only use Fluke meters (that are calibrated for work) so there is no doubt regarding results.
I looked at quite a lot of inverters before buying as I originally had one that needed a battery isolator and although I have the gear for terminating 50mm cables it was a complete pain to switch on and off as well as the extra cabling in my view was a potential hazard.
Fusing anything at 100 or 200 amps will protect against short circuit faults of the battery cables but is pointless for protecting most other conductors that come into contact with the power cables hence my requirement to direct supply battery to inverter with the shortest cables possible.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I only use Fluke meters (that are calibrated for work) so there is no doubt regarding results.

I'm impressed, we can assume under 1mA then. They have a circuit capable of gulping hundreds of amps and switched it off with no leakage. Top design.

Name it for the sake of other FUNsters.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years

I'm impressed, we can assume under 1mA then. They have a circuit capable of gulping hundreds of amps and switched it off with no leakage. Top design.

Name it for the sake of other FUNsters.

Already did Sunshine ☀️ Solar
Top quality at a great price

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
AS and old "sea dog" and a great believer in the "KISS" principal. I merely wired the output from the Inverter to a 40A Double pole 3 position change over switch with a Centre "off" (Dead) position. Which gives 1) Shore Power. 2(centre) DEAD. 3) Inverter. worked for me for over 5years, until sold and is probably still working.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back