Fitting a skylight in the Bathroom Question re thickness of roof. (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Me and SWMBO are currently enjoying a long trip, (Well, it is for us!) in Portugal, and, as a result of being away for a protracted period we have identified 'stuff' that needs doing to the 'van.

We have a pre X250 Hobby which has a bathroom right across the rear.

However, instead of a roof light, it has a window, quite low down on the rear wall, and as a result, we are getting quite a build up of condensation in the room when abluting which affects the wardrobe that is also in the room.

Having identified the problem we have discovered that Fiamma make a small roof-light that would fit even allowing for the cross beam and ladder fitted to the roof.

Just so that I am forearmed with any potential prat falls before I start, can anyone tell me how thick??? the average 'van is in terms of the gap between the inside skin, which is covered in a quite pleasing lateral quilting and the outside roof which seems to be built of kryptonite .

I assume I will have to fill this void with a suitable batten (Upvc?). The actual roof-light clamps together (inside and outside) and it states you don't have to screw either onto the roof. I assume there will be a dose of Sikaflex applied to the exterior part of the roof-light.

So, there you have it. Other than measuring umpteen times before switching cutting gear on, any comments gratefully received.

Footnote from SWMBO: Could any Funster recommend a Co. to perform this procedure. (You can tell how much she trusts me,) Eh?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
There isn't really an average. You can check by removing the internal trim from an existing rooflight which will expose the cut edge. For a small, clamp fitting, rooflight such as the one you are suggesting there's no need to batten the void (assuming a foam sandwich roof) although there's no harm in doing so. DO NOT use Sikaflex to fit it - you will regret its adhesive abilities if you ever need to replace the rooflight. Best IMO is strip butyl mastic - like the stuff in the link below - because it never sets and is easy to apply. Once you have the rooflight in place press it very firmly onto the roof before fitting the inner frame so the screws don't have to do all the work of squeezing the mastic. Fitting a new rooflight is quick and easy - it's much more work refitting an existing one that needs the sealant cleaning off the frame and roof.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...A0.H0.Xw4+mastic.TRS0&_nkw=w4+mastic&_sacat=0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Getting on for 2 inches.

I've always though it daft to put a wardrobe in a bathroom.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
An alternative to a full roof light/window?

s-l400.jpg

Link Removed

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Minimum is normally 40mm. Most you view will state length x width & what thickness roof they can go on.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014