Fitting a fan in fridge outlet vent (1 Viewer)

Fellraven

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
Maryport
Funster No
MH
Exsis-t
Exp
4yrs
I have read with interest the threads on fitting fans into the outlet vent on an absorption fridge. I even priced up some fans on ebay. There was also an article in a MH magazine lately.

I thought I would ask other Hymer owners for help and posted a question on a different forum.
The answer came back that it was not recommended as it contravened gas safe regs.

"Fitting a fan will draw air through the combustion chamber and affect the the stability of the burner flame."

I am now confused as it seemed such a good idea.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Not in the one that I fitted, I put two fans in the top vent to help push the air out of the space from the back of the fridge to the vents, nowhere near the burner.

OP
OP
Fellraven

Fellraven

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
Maryport
Funster No
MH
Exsis-t
Exp
4yrs
? That's what I'm asking!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
I'm curious about this mod now as on a recent (rare) hot day in the UK my fridge really struggled to stay below 10C, is there a definitive thread / how-to on the forum somewhere??

Deleted User
I am not an expert but as far as I know and from what I have observed the exhaust from the gas burner is vented through a sealed flue that has a separate outlet at the side of the top vent covered with a separate aluminium cover.

I do not think that a fan drawing air over the cooling fins would have a great effect on the air intake into the burner, it is not a supercharger.If you were parked with the wind blowing directly into the intake cover then I would have thought that would have more of an effect.

I and many others have fitted fans without any detrimental effect, no idea about the gas regs though.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
IMG_0508.JPG
IMG_0514.JPG
Did mine at the weekend, two fans, top vent and controller in the cupboard above the fridge. Real easy and cant see how gas regs are affected.
The fans suck the hot air out!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I have read with interest the threads on fitting fans into the outlet vent on an absorption fridge. I even priced up some fans on ebay. There was also an article in a MH magazine lately.

I thought I would ask other Hymer owners for help and posted a question on a different forum.
The answer came back that it was not recommended as it contravened gas safe regs.

"Fitting a fan will draw air through the combustion chamber and affect the the stability of the burner flame."

I am now confused as it seemed such a good idea.
They do not apply to privately owned motor homes.
http://www.hse.gov.uk/foi/internalops/ocs/400-499/440_34.htm

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
I'm fitting a digital temp sender in fridge to see the exact difference but it does work as my beer is a lot cooler.

Deleted User
Out of interest, what difference has it made then, has anyone any evidence that it has...?

It definitely made a difference in our PVC, the sliding door covers the vents when open and even when the doors are closed it is surprising the amount of heat that the fans move, especially when first activated, indicating a large build up of heat behind the fridge.

The cost is minimal, ours is connected by a simple cigarette lighter plug because an outlet was close but others have more sophisticated automatic systems that are still relatively cheap, well worth the effort in my opinion.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Yellow is + and black is -
You can bin the green and blue unless you want to vary the speed of the fans.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
If the pipe exiting the fins on the left is still hot then it probably would benefit from a fan. I've just removed our top and bottom vents and the pipe is just warm. Switching the fans on just wastes electric in our case at the minute (30c ambient).

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Hubby fitted a fan in the top vent of our fridge, works a treat, was kicking on a lot the last few weeks in France!
Fit a fan, it's worth it.

Gcs

Feb 18, 2015
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
5 years
Just done the exact mod as a couple of posters here have done, Arctic F12 fans and the digital stat, works an absolute treat, ready for the trip to the sun in a couple of weeks.
My question is, even though the fans are pretty quiet, can a speed controller which lowers the voltage be added to it, to be able to turn it down at night to reduce the noise? Read up a lot on PWM fans and not sure if they would work properly like this
Thanks in Advance

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
I'm sure you could but my fans are real quiet and you can hardly hear them.
Did you mount them on rubber??

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I am not an expert but as far as I know and from what I have observed the exhaust from the gas burner is vented through a sealed flue that has a separate outlet at the side of the top vent covered with a separate aluminium cover.
On the larger fridge freezers the the burner just vents into the space behind the fridge.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I am looking for a thermostatic controller with the digital display on wires so that it can be displayed in a smaller area and away from the control panel. Any ideas?

OP
OP
Fellraven

Fellraven

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
Maryport
Funster No
MH
Exsis-t
Exp
4yrs
I recognise those fans better check mine are still there.:D

Hi Lenny I asked the original question at the top of the page as another Hymer forum told me that it was unsafe to play with gas equipment. Quote "Fitting a fan will draw air through the combustion chamber and affect the the stability of the burner flame." I was rather hoping someone could comment on this?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I'm fitting a digital temp sender in fridge to see the exact difference but it does work as my beer is a lot cooler.
With the fridges are empty they work quite well but as soon as you start putting food & beer in them they are useless, when fully loaded the bottom can be 7 or 8 deg hotter than the top.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Hi Lenny I asked the original question at the top of the page as another Hymer forum told me that it was unsafe to play with gas equipment. Quote "Fitting a fan will draw air through the combustion chamber and affect the the stability of the burner flame." I was rather hoping someone could comment on this?
Fitted on every Caravan and Motorhome we have had never had a problem. Dometic even offer their own fan kit.
The amount of air you are drawing through is far less than the effect the wind would have on a day with very light winds, only time I have had a fridge burner blow out is when the vents were facing a force 10-12 wind, a gale is a light breeze in comparision.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

I thought we had ? No it doesn't affect the stability of the burner flame , certainly not on mine. Nor does driving along with the burner running on gas /fans running .
The only thing that occasionally affects it would be gale force wind directly on the side of the fridge vents.

Gcs

Feb 18, 2015
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
5 years
I'm sure you could but my fans are real quiet and you can hardly hear them.
Did you mount them on rubber??
Hi Rob, no didn't mount them on rubber, they're not noisy as such, just the air noise really. Just fancy the option of being able to control them really.
Short of turning them off completely:)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
This is the one myself and others use.

Thanks. Unfortunately, I don't have space to for this. I have lots of space for a control unit inside the cupboard next to the fridge but limited space to display the led so was wondering if the led could be wired and placed away from the control.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks. Unfortunately, I don't have space to for this. I have lots of space for a control unit inside the cupboard next to the fridge but limited space to display the led so was wondering if the led could be wired and placed away from the control.

I have a couple of these units that I was to use for my fridge fan setup but I went for a simpler option. The probe that senses the temperature has a 2 metre long cable which should give you some options for locating the control unit with the LED readout.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Not practicle to rewire the LED display, These are a lot smaller used one on the last van.
You only need to see the display when you set the unit up, on the last van I mounted the controller behind the fridge.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back