Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I like a bit of sea fishing but I haven't done a great deal over the last few years.

I have my 10' rod and reel in the vans garage and I am ready to go, but I need a bit of inspiration.

So fishing Funsters where should I try out, and with what bait?

Cheers

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I like a bit of sea fishing but I haven't done a great deal over the last few years.

I have my 10' rod and reel in the vans garage and I am ready to go, but I need a bit of inspiration.

So fishing Funsters where should I try out, and with what bait?

Cheers

It depends on how far you want to travel and when you'll be there. Mackeral off the South coast in July / August, sea trout off the West coast of Scotland in March / April, codling off East Anglia over winter ... do you fancy spinning, pier fishing or a bit of beach casting? 10' won't get far but you'll not catch any fish unless your line in is the water ;) . Unfortunately, you may find it very difficult no matter the length of your rod as over-fishing has decimated fish stocks and even beach fishermen take under-sized fish.

OP
OP
Chris

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
It depends on how far you want to travel and when you'll be there. Mackeral off the South coast in July / August, sea trout off the West coast of Scotland in March / April, codling off East Anglia over winter ... do you fancy spinning, pier fishing or a bit of beach casting? 10' won't get far but you'll not catch any fish unless your line in is the water ;) . Unfortunately, you may find it very difficult no matter the length of your rod as over-fishing has decimated fish stocks and even beach fishermen take under-sized fish.

rock fishing I like. Things like wrasse and the occasional bass and the regular dogfish

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I hear some good cod are being pulled out of the Mersey nowadays.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I sometimes sit and watch beach fishing along the Suffolk coast and have seen some cod and a few others. Along the beach from Aldeburgh through to Sizewell appears popular but I guess that any of our coast will give similar results.

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
try sea fishing websites for that advice. can't help much for England but if you come to Scotland there are lots of marks from Mull of Galloway up to Ullapool and beyond.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
As JR say`s @Chris Chesil Beach for a good variation.. But you

would need a good stiff`ish 12 - 14 ft beachcaster to get out to

where the fish are.. And there are certain places that fish better

than others.

Or if you fancy a day afloat on a charter boat... give me a shout.. (I would go down the route of a boat, to guarantee a good feed of fish)

Got a few favours owed me... :wink: :nod: :nod:

Nov 4, 2014
blackpool
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Hi catching whiting cod dabs dogfish not very big as yet waiting for the cold weather to come in .

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Why bother with a rod

The Yanks (who else :rolleyes:) have made a whole sport of catching catfish like that. They call it Noodling.

There are competitions and everything.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Last really decent fish I caught was a good sized ray, which was magnificent enough, that middle aged Eddie couldn't bring himself to keep having already got four decent black Breams gutted and scaled for the waiting BBQ (as opposed to killing everything when I was younger)

Caught on Lug worm on Poole Rock of from Bournemouth

I must admit that as a keen angler when a boy and a teenager, my passion for fishing declined when I started diving and saw just how few fish there are around all of my old fishing haunts :(

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
For nice comfy fishing for which the tackle you have is suited why not try Clevedon pier, or any other similar pier? You always have the chance of a decent cod, ray or conger and at this time of year the whiting should keep you occupied between bigger fish bites. There's easy parking and a cafe nearby as well.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I used to love sea fishing but once I had been to north Norway boat fishing for the big cod and halibut I became bored with fishing anywhere else.
img025.jpg

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
Souithend pier...... dabs, sole, garfish :eek: cod coming soon and eels... Luvley Jubly and if your not catching...... lovely fish and chips on the seafront. Jamie has got his television show restaurant at the end of pier, so you may get in there and eat for free as an extra... (y)

OP
OP
Chris

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Souithend pier...... dabs, sole, garfish :eek: cod coming soon and eels... Luvley Jubly and if your not catching...... lovely fish and chips on the seafront. Jamie has got his television show restaurant at the end of pier, so you may get in there and eat for free as an extra... (y)

Is that a real restaurant?

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Rick the PR**k has got a restaurant on Plymouth Hoe ,still get our proper cod n chips on the Barbican the sit on the Hoe to eat em :LOL:

Last edited:

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Careful if you catch one of these ...you could loose your fingers
Last one I caught was with s gaff hook whilst diving the James Eagan Layne off Plymouth
Seeteufel.jpg

Jazzledog

Free Member
May 1, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Hymer B588PL
Exp
Falmouth

image.jpeg

Ketchikan, Alaska

image.jpeg

Penzance.

image.jpeg

I know which one is my favourite!!

My take on it is...if you want to go fishing, shore fishing will do nicely. If you want to catch fish....get on a boat!

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Totally agree ,if you can get on a mark that hasn't been Mono-netted like down our way .
Was having to steam to the Hurds Deeps to get a serious days fishing in .
Hurds Deeps.jpg

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Lots of good marks around the Kent Coast. The cod are just starting to show along the south coast. Dungeness is in your area. Some really good fishing off the beach there and free parking as well.
I,m walking the 70 yds from my house to the beach tonight. Going to try a low tide session. Please don't hold your breath waiting for a catch report :rofl:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
My Neighbour went fishing off Mylor Boat Harbour Pier today. Came home with a cooler bin 2/3 full of Mackeral.

Said he caught most as the tide was ebbing, once it turned tho, it wasn't worth staying

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back