First trip to France.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Sarat, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Sarat

Sarat Read Only Funster

Hi, My name is Sadie. My husband, Paul and I are newbies. We are going to France on Tuesday the 18th and are hoping to meet fellow club members. We are sailing from Roslare to Cherbourg. This is our first time taking the van out of Ireland and we are a bit unsure of ourselves. I'm sure a lot of you will know how we feel. We are a funloving couple in our very early 60s and would love to meet and chat to other campervaners. we just joined today, so would appreciate any tips or advice. :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  2. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Hi, Sorry not going to france this sept (def next year) hope you enjoy your trip we always use the aires keeps the cost down, no problem with the roads or driving etc, just remember if you stop for a cuppa ,when you start driving again to drive on the right its easy when relaxed to forget. Have a great time I'm envious. Terry:Cool:

3. poppy

poppy Read Only Funster

Very Brave

Hi. well done both, I hope you have a great time. We have so far only braved up to 2hrs away from home , Whip I hear u say!!:Laughing: yes you would be correct, however, this Summer we sold our house and the MH has come into its own. We have been living in it for the past 9 weeks at the back of our daughter Garden, 2up 2down 4 adults, 2dogs 2 cats, and new baby !! you could not make this up :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

we are due to move into new house 21st Whooooooooooo: 5 more sleeps BigGrin::BigGrin:
    so wish we could join you in France, but looking forward to hearing how you got on as I am Defo going next year. Enjoy and welcome :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  4. nifty fifty

nifty fifty Funster

we usualy step over at this time of year, gets easyer every time. and find it most relaxing dont plan just go with the flow.stay of the toll roads and see more of france
    sorry we wont be there AGAIN this year
    just go for it and enjoy:thumb:

glyn & rachel

5. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

6. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi Sadie
    The first time we went to France 6 Years ago, we were new to motorhomes, My Mr,s retired and got home at 1-30 by 4.0 we were on the road, Bessaccar ,trailer and Smart car, never drove abroad before apart from the odd hire car on Holday, but 2,500 miles in the MH and 1,300 in the Smart we got back home after 8 weeks, enjoyed every minute of the trip, hope you have the same pleasurable trip, we use a mixture of Camps and Aires, the toll roads can run away with your money, the main road system,s are a good alternative. ENJOY. Pete :thumb::thumb:

7. EthnGeoff

EthnGeoff Funster

We're heading there next weekend with the ferry to Bilbao then travelling up through France over the next 3 weeks. Don't forget your breath alchohol testers and turn off 'speed cameras' if you have them on your satnav. Otherwise enjoy the trip and give us a wave if we pass.
    Geoff.:thumb:

8. Sarat

Sarat Read Only Funster

Thank you so much for your encouragment. Maybe we will meet. I will have my laptop with me, so if you have yours, it just might happen. Enjoy your trip.:Wink:

9. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Try stopping on aires from time to time - see what you think. SatNav files and loads of details available for free from www.campingcar-infos.com

Petrol is cheapest at Supermarkets. Supermarket SatNav POIs can be found online and via your SatNav's update software.

Keep Euro change handy for parking ticket machines and automated toll booths.

Make sure your bank cards are fully authorised for use abroad.

If using aires, empty waste water and loo whenever possible rather than waiting 'til they fill up, and top up with fresh water whenever it's free to save paying for it elsewhere.

If you're able to cycle, take bikes with you.

Bon voyage

• Like Like x 1