First Trip Abroad with Herman (1 Viewer)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Some advise please. We may take our first trip abroad in our motorhome this year and want to travel from the UK to France, then turn right and follow the coast towards Brest. Without pushing ourselves or spending all day on the road, how far along the coast do you think it's reasonable to expect to get to in a week, allowing the 2nd week to return?

We will also be taking our dog so thought Dover or Folkestone to Calais would be the better crossing.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Depends on how many beaches and bars you want to visit along the way. Thing is you can meander there and then bomb back in far less time. If you want to visit as many places but different ones on the way back then you will need the same time.

Are you only stopping overnight at each place though?

See - why don't you just come out of the docks and hang a right - and see how far you do meander in a week? You want the D940 LOL.

However there's nothing that beautiful about Calas TBH, esp now you don't actually go past the town hall clock or the belfry so you could head for Boulogne on the mway*, but come off at the Boulogne turning that's marked El Portel and Ferry, down the slip road and hang a left at the island and that takes you onto the D940 from whence you can visit any number of seasides. Or not. There's another ex main road the other side of the mway that goes through Montreuil, but it's a bit boring, at least I think so.

* because if you carry on past there, you'll be paying tolls.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
The first time we went to France we looked at the map and thought we would travel along the north coast as far as Brittany. We followed the coast roads and stopped wherever we fancied, and soon realised that we had been too ambitious.
I would suggest that you go as you please without too many plans and you will have a very enjoyable time. We only used aires and they were easily found all along the coast, giving a very affordable break leaving more cash for sampling the local goodies.

Just go with an open mind and enjoy things as they develop without too many restrictions

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
The first time, three years ago, when we went to France in a hired MH we had a fortnight to see as much as we could of Northern France.

I spent months cobbling together a definitive list of where we would go, stay and see.

Within a few hours of arriving in France the list went in the bin.

We had been delayed by heavy traffic and a Motorway accident and arrived at Eurotunnel 4 hours later than booked, six hours later in France than expected and eventually arrived at Equihen Plage Aire at eleven at night.

So - we were nowhere near where we'd expected to be on the first night and after that we decided just to meander along the Northern coast and stop anywhere that looked ok.

We then stayed at Fort Mahon Plage, Veules-les-Roses, Honfleur, Luc-sur-Mer and Grandcamp Maisy before heading back via Beuvron-en-Auge, Etretat, Le Treport, Le Touquet and finally Wissant.

We had to stay at Honfleur longer than we'd anticipated because the dog managed to cut his leg chasing rabbits (don't ask!) and he needed a Vet's attention - but we realised Honfleur offered more than just the touristy Harbour area and was a lovely place to stay.

If you've not travelled in France before you need to get used to driving on the right (driver in gutter), road signs and where all the other traffic is - because the open road really is open on most of the roads in France compared to the UK.

Take your time, long distances are for the more seasoned visitor, and just enjoy what the 'real' France has to offer wherever you decide to go.

Take the Rough Guide to find those places you'd never even heard of before but are well worth a visit.

And don't worry, you'll find somewhere to stay every night – everyone else does.

In my opinion you'd be better using Eurotunnel if you are taking a dog.

The journey on the train takes only 35 minutes and the dog is with you all the time – which is less stressful for both you and your dog.

Many other people use the cheaper Ferry route and are quite happy to do so but for a first time abroad I would recommend the Tunnel and if your dog travels really well then consider the Ferry next time.

Please could you let me know which Vet you use for the Pet Passport scheme when you return so that I can add the details to my European Vets List.

:france::france::france:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back