FIRST TIMER - ROUTE TO NORTHERN ITALY

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by pygocentrus, Jul 3, 2014.

1. pygocentrus

pygocentrus Read Only Funster

Hi help please

I am going on 28th july to Northern Italy (I would appreciate some beautiful suggestions in Northern Italy) but I would also like a route for a 8m motorhome to get there. I have a 15 month old girl so would appreciate a list of camp parks that I can prebook and details OF ferry please.

I am totally in the dark.

PLEASE HELP

Thanks

Gavin

2. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Hello, it would probably be easier to add further questions to your original, to save confusion / duplication

3. chopper602

chopper602 Funster

We're heading that way in July. From Teesside, overnight in Ypres, then point due south and we're hoping to get down to Freiburg that night. a couple of days there and then planning an overnight at the top of the Alps (Sustenpass), down to the Italian Lakes the next day. Heading back eventually west and via France. All the major alpine passes will accommodate your vehicle easily.

Lake Garda is nice but likely to be very busy. Smaller lakes like Idro and Iseo might be better to head towards. The Lido over near Venice again will be busy but the campsites are huge, so often have space. All depends what you want !

4. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

If you go through Switzerland and used Swiss-owned tunnels (ie Gotthard) your toll will be included in the very reasonable one-off Motorway Carnet fee you pay on entry at the border. If you go through a French-owned tunnel you'll pay a whacking great toll, Mont Blanc being a case in point. Definitely worth looking at tunnel fees well ahead of planning your trip.

If you're a first timer you might prefer a tunnel route as opposed to the windy windy uppy downy brakey overheaty non tunnel routes such as the Col de Montgenevre, but one day you should give it a go as the scenery is stunning.

No shortage of campsites beside Lake Garda south of Lazise, and a pleasant Motorhome only site at Torbole at the Northern end, although last time we were there the stay was limited to 2 or 3 nights.

5. jemhorn

jemhorn Funster

Spent a lot of time early this year researching the very same trip but due to various reasons didn't actually do it. My MH is 4.250 Tonne GVW so would have needed a Go-Box to go through Austrian Tolls roads. The price charged also depends on the Euro version of your engine. The more modern the less the charge but you have to prove the Euro Class. We intended to go via Germany then Austria and visiting some of the smaller lakes to avoid the crowds. Hope it goes well for you, tell us how you get on please.

6. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I guess this MH will have full air conditioning, which I think you will appreciate with a 15 month old as it is likely to be blisteringly hot in northern Italy at this time of the year. But this means you have to be sure of an electric hook up every night.

Even if you can get the electrics it might be worth having a Plan B up your sleeve, say visiting Austria if it all proves too hot.

I'm not trying to put you off!