First time visit to Germany.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ravensworth, Mar 17, 2015.

1. ravensworth

ravensworth Funster

Hello,

Was hoping somebody could help.

Where's the best ferry crossing, I'm in the north east with several options. Just hoping somebody could provide me with the most appropriate and best priced crossing.

Also if anybody could suggest a good scenic route with a few night-time pints along the way.

Regards,

Denis.

2. Al-Di

Al-Di Funster

hull/zeebrugge overnight then fresh to start,(y)

3. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

Just booked our tickets on Eurotunnel, 3rd - 20th May. Mrs MB just looks at a full bath and she is seasick ! Anyway Our first trip across the pond and after a foray in Belgium (war cemeteries) and a couple of nights in Luxemburg. we are off to follow the "Romantic route " German classic route ?? but it gets good reviews and having a wee shufty looks interesting. Wurzburg to Fussen. we will pop along to Lake Constanz then up the Moselle valley to join the Rhine then work out a retreat route home depending on time left. May pay the penalties and change return dates.

PS following the advice of several on Fun I am not prebooking my overnights as I don't like running to a schedule and they say if one spot is busy their is usually an alternative nearby, so just going to wing it !

PPS There is another thread about the Romantic Route.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  4. markh

markh

DFDS from Newcastle would be your best bet, we are doing the same trip in May

5. Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast Funster

DFDS Newcastle /Amsterdam 13thMay roll on .

6. TUCANO

TUCANO Funster

I assume you have read the recent post by bollard who is doing something similar to yourself. The Romantic Route is on my list of things to do, but don't fancy doing it alone, perhaps one day.
    Have a great time over there, I would personally take the ferry Dover - Calais. (y)

7. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  8. sinner

sinner

Dover - Calais fast cheap :)
    There is so much to do just drive and you will enjoy :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Road miles are always cheaper than ferry miles, if price is important to you.

We're taking our first extended trip to Germany this year, starting with Munich. We're taking an early Dover-Calais ferry (cheapest available return ticket cost us just under £100 with the Camping & Caravan Club booking service) then we'll probably stop on an aire somewhere near Metz on the first night. After that we'll follow the SatNav and hope to be in Munich on the second night.

• Like Like x 1
  10. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

+1 for the hull ferry although I would do Rotterdam.. no idea on price comparison though.

11. Old Soldier

Old Soldier Funster

Enjoy your trip to Deutschland. One of my favorite countries. ( probably because I spent so long there as a soldier ). Make sure you have a Bratwurst and pomfrits or better still a currywurst, it's a must.
    As for the ferry, not sure how the price from a more northan port compares with price at Dover plus the driving expense and time but It's a nice drive from Dunkirk. >:)

12. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

Just done my sums for you. Dumfries to Folkestone 400miles (shit) I reckon 14 gall jungle juice + Tunnel return fare £156 = £230 or there abouts. Sorrry another 14 Gall to get us home again so + another £75 .
    DFDS Newcastle - Amsterdam return, same dates £498 (with 2 berth cabin):(:whistle:
    Time, we are leaving Sat, then stop with sis in York, set off Sun for a 8.20pm departure train,A1, A14, M11, M25, Dartford tunnel,M20. Arrive Calais then mosey along to Gravelines Aire and see if I can plonk her bottie (Van) in there for the night, there is an alternative less than a mile away. Early start Mon for adventures. :)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  13. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

If you have time do the Moselle from Trier to Koblenz, its great but would take a week to do it properly.
    Phil

• Like Like x 1
  14. abforfun

abforfun Funster

Use tesco vochers tunnel £56

• Like Like x 1
  15. TUCANO

TUCANO Funster

Am I the only person that stays in the dunes at Sangatte on our first night, and NEVER had any trouble, virtually on the beach, bliss (y)

16. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

You nearly had company but we are going other way. Mind you it isn't far off my route ! :) Hmmm just googled it and there would be plenty room. (y)

17. Redjumpa

Redjumpa Funster

We did the Moselle last Aug/Sept during the wine festival season:wine:Had a great time. We did Euro-tunnel (Tesco points) and a steady drive through Belgium but no time constraints for us. Word of warning, you will need plenty of cash. Germany isn't up to speed on the benefits of debit cards, even in the large towns.

• Like Like x 2
  18. parknride

parknride Funster

We are thinking of going to Germany after the easter break. We had a great time there years ago when you could sail Newcastle to Hamburg. Didn't pre plan, just pootled and discovered. I can't remember the cash/card situation so thanks for that redjumpa but are credit cards widely acceptable?

19. Cobweb

Cobweb

I cannot recommend any particular crossing since we only use the ferry Dover Calais .We have spent some time touring Germany over the last 3 years and I can recommend the "Romantic Road " as well as cycling by the Danube , Rhein as well as the Moselle and lake Constance . Loads of Stellplatz to stay on as well as campsites. How much you will see depends on how long you are going for . I cannot recommend the Currywurst though or any wurst since the food is not Germany's best asset apart from the breads and gateaux . We often use the Italian or Greek restaurants as well as the Nordsee chain of restaurants. If you are crossing via France get your wine from there although I quite like Reisling and of course German beer which is excellent . You must have the black forest cake which is heavenly and goes by the name of"Swartswald kirch torte "if I have got it right . I am sure that you will have a great time .

• Like Like x 3
  20. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

You've missed the cost of the extra miles the other side. The OP is about going to Germany not France.

I'm in the opposite camp on this. I love German food... Schnellie or restaurant or buy in the supermarket and cook yourself. Schnitzel, wurst, senf.. sauerkraut, amazing bread, amazing cakes... can't wait to go back..