First motorhome - the search continues

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Velorum, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Velorum

Velorum

Having narrowed down our search criteria to a good condition Peugeot Symphony (we like the size and layout) and looked at a few that have been a bit rough or had too high mileages , Mrs Velorum spotted the one below and has arranged to go and look at it at the weekend.

I have a list of questions including service history / cambelt and our noses are fine tuned to damp problems from the many boats that we have owned - we will do a test drive too.

The price is of course higher as its a dealer - though there is always scope for haggling when you are a cash buyer of course and there will be a warranty. Swings and roundabouts....

Views / comments?

Does anyone rate this dealer? (I hope that it is permissible to ask such questions here - if not then hopefully a moderator will remove!)

[​IMG]

http://www.m-d-g.co.uk/used-motorhome-auto-sleepers-symphony-3453

Cheers
    Ian

2. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. Johnnyb

Johnnyb Funster

And don't fall for the usual "someone else is viewing it later and they are really interested" to try and put the pressure on you to buy.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Velorum

Velorum

Thanks folks

Unless rough this seems to be near enough the price that dealers are asking for them

The last one I looked at at a dealers was £1380. The lips of the rear arches had begun to delaminate and go rusty as had the rear section of the offside sill. Specs of rust around the bodywork, some broken fittings inside and over 100K on the clock. Cambelt last done 7 years ago. He wouldn't budge below £1270. Not that I would have been that keen if hed dropped substantially more.......

5. Velorum

Velorum

Thanks!

Well, they appear to have won awards!

I fully accept that there is going to be a significant mark up with a dealer, they need to make a living and cover the overheads after all - its all about getting it down to a reasonable amount I guess. At least there is some recourse after if things go wrong, there is little with a private sale.....

• Like Like x 1
  6. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Try to haggle but don't give your warranty away or even part of it. We had ours back three times with lists of jobs to be rectified, some admittedly they wouldn't have found on a normal PDI.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Velorum

Velorum

Had a good look at it today

No rust anywhere, new exhaust system, no hint of damp problems inside. Seemed as though its been well looked after. Had a test drive and the drivetrain felt spot on.

Did a deal on price that included a new MOT, full service, new cambelt, check of all systems, 12 months tax and a warranty.

Looking forward to picking it up in a week and halfs time

Thanks for all the advice folks

[​IMG]

8. rosierose

rosierose Funster

Congratulations.....Enjoy! (y)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

With a genuine private sale you have money in bank to cover future problems...just make sure you get it checked out properly....private every time if not buying new

• Like Like x 1
  10. chaser

chaser Funster

My thoughts as well, but looks as if he's bought it now, so good luck to him at least if it's their first buy they will have a warranty to fall back on.

• Like Like x 1
  11. GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer Funster

Back in Sarfend for a while, then back to RSA.
    Want to feel happy about the price? Just take a look at what a new, similar, van would cost!
    Looks like an ideal first to me.
    Enjoy your travels.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Velorum

Velorum

Thanks!

13. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Looks lovely ! Just get out and enjoy it !

14. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Yes, looks a nice clean vehicle and hopefully it won't suffer from the damp problems some of the more boxy MHs are prone. I can only suggest giving it some local trips and see if any problems arise.

Then when it is running to your satisfaction, load up and head for the hills, be they in Scotland, Wales, France or wherever!

15. Velorum

Velorum

Here is an update - I guess more for the benefit of new folk searching through archived threads than anything else

We picked the van shown in my opening post up from Countrywide motorhomes near Ringwood yesterday

They went through all of the paperwork in detail - FSH, every invoice since new, handbooks for everything, habitation check (inc damp readings), MOT (no advisories), and invoice from last week for full service, cambelt and 12m tax. All presented in a canvas briefcase

Then one of the staff talked us through every aspect of the van and its equipment demonstrating that it all worked etc answering any questions we had - they had included a mains hook up, hose and toilet chemicals. It had all been valeted thoroughly and looked immaculate inside and out. I am certainly not used to this level of service from a motor dealer even when buying cars that are more expensive than this. Overall an excellent experience

The Symphony drove faultlessly during the 60+ mile journey home

We are off for a one night 'test' camp at Oxford on Friday night so that we can figure out what else we need to kit it out with

We are planning to get a few short breaks in this year but next spring we will begin in earnest - plans have begun for Holland early in the year and Norway later on, fingers crossed

OK, we could have bought cheaper privately but this way suited us and our circumstances at the moment

Cheers
    Ian
    :)

• Like Like x 4
  16. Mel

Mel Funster

Congratulations
    Sounds like a good dealer.
    Private or trade as long as you are happy thats all that counts.
    Enjoy you short break

Mel

17. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Everyone's different and you've done it your way,you've bought a great van ,been talked through the workings and have the peace of mind that a warranty gives.
    What more could you want except the open road and good weather.

Enjoy your van !

Vlad

• Like Like x 1
  18. busby

busby Funster

Lovely van. I had a 1998 for a couple of years with the old 2.5 turbo engine..Never let me down but the old tin worm got into rear wheel arches and around rear spring hangers..Good idea to have it rust proofed if your keeping it. BUSBY:D:D