Free Member
Sep 24, 2016
Cottingham
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Pam and me are looking for our first motor home.
Yesterday we visited Lincoln show ground. Had loads on show, we had no intention to buy (although I had a good deposit in my pocket, just in case) the idea was to look at what suited us best.

Out of all the ones we liked was an Auto Trail Arapaho. U shaped lounge to the rear, dinnette for 4 and
a double bed over the cab.
We are concerned about the tandem
wheels at the rear, do they rub tyres out quickly?
Should we be worried about anything else? The ones we've looked at and that are within our budget are 2006 models.

We have 2 dogs and 2 cats, Pam, myself and daughter Montana this is why we're looking for a good sized motorhome to give our pets plenty of room. I've always driven large vehicles so size isn't a problem.

Our needs are, double bed to rear, double over the cab with 4 seat dinnette, if you guys have other motor homes with this layout please let us have the make and model so we can check them out.
Thanks for your help.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Welcome Phil. Sorry can't help you much due to my limited experience, but O'm sure you will get a lot of opinions on here

Upvote 0

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Hi there Phil,and a warm welcome to MHF(y) We now have a tag axle Arto and we love it,a good few years back we had an Autotrail Cheiftain same Motorhome as the Arapaho only different layout and really liked that as well.dont worry about rear axle tyre wear ,we have never had a problem but then most Motorhome don't do big enough mileage a to worry about that . A big plus is that you get a good payload,and we love the extra space to move around .good luck with the hunt.(y)
Brian & Jo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

skipper Phil.

Free Member
Sep 24, 2016
Cottingham
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks Brian and Jo, very useful, I've never driven a tag axle before and was worried about tyre rub.
I figured they would have a good pay load. The 3 we looked at, at Lincoln, each sales man told us these motor homes will do about 30 to the gallon, do you find that about right?

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Thanks Brian and Jo, very useful, I've never driven a tag axle before and was worried about tyre rub.
I figured they would have a good pay load. The 3 we looked at, at Lincoln, each sales man told us these motor homes will do about 30 to the gallon, do you find that about right?
It will always depend how you drive it. Heavy/light footed and traffic situations
welcome animated smiley3.gif

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The ones we've looked at and that are within our budget are 2006 models.
Thanks for your help.

Many times we say on here "new is not definitely better". Some of the most sort after MHs are 10/15 year old Hymers. Proper job build quality and an unbelievable amount of space inside.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

skipper Phil.

Free Member
Sep 24, 2016
Cottingham
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
After seeing the prices for new yesterday, it's got to be second hand. With the low mileage on these MH they'll not be worn out. I'm really looking forward to getting on the road.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
After seeing the prices for new yesterday, it's got to be second hand. With the low mileage on these MH they'll not be worn out. I'm really looking forward to getting on the road.

We bought a 4 year old one with 4000 miles on the clock. Makes no sense. But we've put 63000 more on in the last 10 years. Some great times in those miles. All over Europe and Morocco twice. Loads more yet to do. Not been as far south as Sicily yet.

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Steady 60 most of the time. I lived at 7 knots on the boat so I'm no speedy merchant, got over 80k miles out of van tyres.
Yes, probably like most (I think IMO) the tyres will need changing well before worn out tread wise.
My truck is limited to 52mph and generally I feel comfortable at that speed and when in the moho, I'm never in a rush.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

skipper Phil.

Free Member
Sep 24, 2016
Cottingham
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
I think 60 is fast enough, keep in front of hgv's.
What sort of mpg do you get please.

Upvote 0

EyUp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Yorkshireman living in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
Not sure if this helps.
I bought one of these a month ago.Seems to fit the bill perfectly for you. We bought this as we loved the layout and size.
Not sure how long the 180 goes back and what might be available used though in your price.

Link Removed

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Hello & welcome
My only advice is don't be like me!
Spent months researching all the pro & cons of various types & layouts...
...then promptly ignored all my own knowledge & advice to buy a MH within 30 minutes of walking into the PBoro show :eek:.

...but I did abide by my ultimate proviso -
"Buy the Dealer"

And its worked out very well - the inevitable odd problems have been sorted quibble free - and I've enjoyed 18 months hassle free travelling...

...so much so, I've just done it again with a brand new van from Wildax... though what I've bought is not exactly certain yet :rofl:... I trust the end result will be as good as it can be

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
C
Hello & welcome
My only advice is don't be like me!
Spent months researching all the pro & cons of various types & layouts...
...then promptly ignored all my own knowledge & advice to buy a MH within 30 minutes of walking into the PBoro show :eek:.

...but I did abide by my ultimate proviso -
"Buy the Dealer"

And its worked out very well - the inevitable odd problems have been sorted quibble free - and I've enjoyed 18 months hassle free travelling...

...so much so, I've just done it again with a brand new van from Wildax... though what I've bought is not exactly certain yet :rofl:... I trust the end result will be as good as it can be
couldn't agree more.

Motorhomes are motorhomes. They all have faults, some more than others. It us the attitude of the Dealer that makes the difference when things go wrong.

Enjoy motorhoming. Don't worry, be happy . ( Seens like a cue for a song!):)

Upvote 0

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
We bought a 4 year old one with 4000 miles on the clock. Makes no sense. But we've put 63000 more on in the last 10 years. Some great times in those miles. All over Europe and Morocco twice. Loads more yet to do. Not been as far south as Sicily yet.
63k Nice :) , i'd hate to add up how much in fuel that cost :D :D

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Yesterday we visited Lincoln show ground. Had loads on show, we had no intention to buy (although I had a good deposit in my pocket, just in case) the idea was to look at what suited us best.
There were some really tasty looking motorhome on display weren't there? We were particularly impressed with the Bavaria A Class motorhomes! Although we're not looking to replace just yet, I think we know which make we will be purchasing! :D

Our needs are, double bed to rear, double over the cab with 4 seat dinnette, if you guys have other motor homes with this layout please let us have the make and model so we can check them out.
Thanks for your help.
Have you considered u-shaped lounge? This gives you a really big bed at night, and also an entertaining area during the day. The downside is you need to make up the bed every night.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We have had a steady 26/27 out of our tag axle 9.2m Burstner, mostly motorway driving at 60 to 70, maybe the smaller tags get better milage.

Upvote 0
Nov 23, 2015
Burwash, Horsham & The Dordogne
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2016

Out of all the ones we liked was an Auto Trail Arapaho. U shaped lounge to the rear, dinnette for 4 and
a double bed over the cab.
We are concerned about the tandem
wheels at the rear, do they rub tyres out quickly?
Should we be worried about anything else? The ones we've looked at and that are within our budget are 2006 models.

We have 2 dogs and 2 cats, Pam, myself and daughter Montana this is why we're looking for a good sized motorhome to give our pets plenty of room. I've always driven large vehicles so size isn't a problem.

Thanks for your help.

We have an AutoTrail Comanche. That covers what you'd want too.. Not noticed a wear problem with the rear tyres at all. In fact, I would imagine that the front's would wear much quicker than the rears... All that braking, turning and accelerating etc...

We average about 20mpg, although we have seen much much lower than that a few times..

Enjoy whatever you get... (have you thought about going to the NEC next month ?)

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Recently a friend said a pal of his had bought a motorhome and it was a pig's ear, he reckoned it had 4 faults! The van in question was 17 years old, 4 faults is pretty good I reckoned, all simple and fixed very quickly. Importantly, no damp.

Upvote 0
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Horrifying.

63,000/25= 2500 gals = 11,500l so more or less £11,000. Which for ten years holidays transport is not a lot.
Probably a lot less than people spend on cigarettes, and a lot better for your health:whistle:

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
30 mpg is very optimistic, I should think 25mpg more realistic.
Only thinkg worth bearing in mind with a tag axle is that it increases the GVW and therefore the payload, which is great of course. The train weight however remains the same so it may well not be feasible to tow anything worthwhile with a tag axle motorhome. The weight you can tow is reduced by the same amount the GVW is increased.
Only really of consequence if you were thinking of towing a car, especially on a trailer.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back