First MH arrived, first of many stupid questions I`m afraid.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Encantador, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Encantador

Encantador Funster

Took delivery of our first MH a 07 Swift Kon Tiki tag on Wednesday, unfortunately I was just getting over man flu (should have delayed collection really) so almost everything went in one ear and out the other.

So, I am now sitting in the freezing cold MH, book in hand trying to get heating working on EHU. So far failed miserably to make sense of the two dials and get hot air blowing.

First real question though is how do you know when you are running on mains rather than battery?

Slight side issue, need to get a TV, bedroom seems to have TV point together with a 3 pin and a 12v socket to supply the power, outside TV point just has ariel and 12v. Ideally thinking initially to just get 1 TV. have seen this on ebay which seems cheap, asked about 12v lead and the seller has no idea.
    Does anyone know if I purchased one of these, what else would I need to get it to work inside and out?
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110788177038&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNAFP:GB:1123

Thanks

Don`t go away though, please......:BigGrin:

Steve

• Like Like x 3
  2. stcyr

stcyr Funster

Congratulations on your new MH!
    What type/make of heating system have you got?
    :Smile:

3. Encantador

Encantador Funster

The book says Truma Combi 4 / Combi 6

• Like Like x 1
  4. stcyr

stcyr Funster

Ok. We've got a much older Truma system which is very straightforward to use but it's totally different to yours so I can't be much help :Sad:.
    Sure someone on here with the same model as yours will be along soon!
    No such thing as a daft question when you don't know!!

:thumb:

5. Loujess

Loujess Read Only Funster

6. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

I got a Ferguson LED TV/DVD combi for £99 from Comet a few weeks ago. 12v and mains. Staff were very helpful and checked it was 12v too.
    No idea about your heating--took me a few goes to work mine out.

7. mondo

mondo Read Only Funster

There is no such thing as a stupid/silly question on this forum....Motorhoming is a constant learning curve..ask away..there is always someone who can answer your queries..

• Like Like x 2
  8. mikkidee

mikkidee Read Only Funster

9. mikkidee

mikkidee Read Only Funster

With hook up plugged in try plugging a 240 electric kettle in, or anything that is 240. That will tell you if you are hooked into 240 or not
    Mike:Smile:

Oh and welcome to your new motorhome

10. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I presume you have the Truma manual? If not, it can be downloaded from this link - refers to Combi 4E/6E. (Also, have you got the E model? If not and it is a Combi 4 or 6, there is no electric option.)
    http://www.truma.com/downloadcenter/combi4e6e_instruction_de_nl_fr_it_gb_dk_e.pdf

It states that electric heating will only be provided when set to winter operation (i.e. hot water and heating). You should also be aware that gas is by far the most effective fuel. The maximum heat output of the 6E is: 1.8 Kw on Electricity only; 5.8 Kw on Electricity and Gas combined; 6 Kw on Gas only. I have read posts by users of this system stating that they start it up on gas to get the van warm, then switch to electricity to keep it ticking over.

We have the older C6002 model and ours runs only on gas - it's very effective. Suits us fine as we rarely hook up.

p.s. also be aware that if the new ones work like the older series that we have, it can take quite a while after firing up before the fan starts to circulate the air. The boiler has to get hot first. If you are trying to do this with electricity only, it might take 10 or 15 minutes at a guess. I suggest you try it on gas first.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  11. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Hi encantador,

Try phoning Truma UK on 01283 586020 or on-line they are www.truma.com

Hope that helps

knokinonabit

12. Encantador

Encantador Funster

Thanks for all the replies, i `think` I have warm air flowing but it is very cold in there so have left it on and will go back in a while.

I vaguely remember hearing that gas was best for heating, no gas bottles came with it, I have small and large propane bottles for the gas bbq at home, having just looked at the gas storage area properly for the first time, there is one pipe with a big threaded nut (for want of a better description), obviously different to the way the bottles connect to the bbq.

So the next questions are....

a) Can I use the bottles I already have for use in the MH and if I can...
    B) What do I need to be able to connect them to that hose?

Thanks

Steve

13. stcyr

stcyr Funster

Sounds as if you have the propane fitting on your gas-pipe (large threaded nut thingy). This is to connect to the orange propane bottles. It is an anti-clockwise thread. If you have blue (calor) bottles they will probably not work in this cold weather, you need propane under 4/5degs.

(Just re-read yr last post and see you do have propane so no probs )

:thumb:

14. EthnGeoff

EthnGeoff Funster

The controls comprise 2 knobs 1 of which directs where the heating is applied and has settings for:
    Water 60 degs.
    Water 40 degs.
    Off.
    Heating only.
    Water 60 degs + Heating.

The other controls which power sources are used to provide the heat and has settings for:
    Both electric elements. (The boiler contains 2 electric elements)
    1 electric element.
    Gas only.
    Gas + 1 electric.
    Gas + 2 electrics.

Hope this helps.
    Geoff.

15. icantremember

icantremember Funster

A - It depends what gas you have......in these cold temperatures only propane will work NOT butane

B - That nut will fit directly on to a gas bottle assuming you have a fixed regulator on the other end of the hose. Propane fitting all have a left hand thread so if your hose does not screw on it may be butane and will have to be changed

Brian

16. Encantador

Encantador Funster

This is what I have attached to the pipe from BBQ, you push it down on top of the bottle and twist the lever, so I am guessing it`s another sort of regulator I am missing that somehow goes between my pipe and gas bottle, does that sound about right?

Steve

http://www.lpggasbottles.co.uk/productdetails.asp?itemid=71

IGNORE the above, all my bottles are Butane. So I need to source new propane bottles and a regulator, I think...

17. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

First MH arrived

Hi, can you post some pictures of the heating controls/panel?

S

18. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Gas regulator......

if you follow the pipe back, can you see something similar to the pic below attached to the locker wall.

[​IMG]

if so you just connect your 'big nut thingy' directly to the RED PROPANE bottle.
    when tightening, it just needs a nip...not a lot of force.

if not (almost certain you do) you need to remove the nut and fit one of these to the hose....and connect that directly to the red bottle.

[​IMG]

you have butane (probably a blue bottle) for your BBQ and it isnt possible to fit that as it is.

does it look like this

[​IMG]

while there is no obligation to swap bottles, some calor dealers are quite happy to swap blue bottles for red ones and change sizes.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Encantador

Encantador Funster

20. stcyr

stcyr Funster

Good luck - don't forget, left-hand thread on propane bottles! :thumb: