First Long Weekend Away in 5er (1 Viewer)

syranara

Free Member
Aug 15, 2008
Northfleet, Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
5th wheeler
Exp
A bit late in putting this on but weekend before last we had a nice long weekend away to give the 5er a test before going away for a week in France.

We went on the Thursday night and left the site on the Monday. Not wanting to go too far on our maiden voyage we went to Manston, Ramsgate, Kent. Only just over an hour away and close to where my mum lives so killing two birds with one stone, so to speak.

Manston Site was lovely and the weather was brilliant - which always helps.

IMG_0048.jpg

I was going to add a few more photos but thought it would take up too much room so have added pics to my MHF blog.

We tested it to the full and now know that a) you can't use the microwave on site or the electric kettle b) the fresh water tank empties in 4 days and likewise the grey waste fills up in that time and not forgetting c) by the 5th day the black waste needs emptying :whatthe:

It was amusing seeing some of the other campers faces and one caravaner discreetly took photos as we hitched it back up (glad Mick is an HGV driver). Also to the Motorhomer who smiled and said goodbye as we left - hi hope you are from MHF.

Great weekend, can't wait until the next.

Marion & Mick

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I see you have the same van as me, we recently changed to the rear bathroom model just before the shepton show. I had been looking for that model to replace our old 5ver since christmas, didnt really want a white woodork interior but have to say i like it more than the varnished wood now, gives it a cool, light more spacious look.

maggie

Just a question ... why cant you use your microwave/kettle on site? unless of course you were not on ehu

Last edited:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
It looks terrific. Hope you have many happy trips with it. 5 days is good going for the black stuff!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
syranara

syranara

Free Member
Aug 15, 2008
Northfleet, Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
5th wheeler
Exp
Thanks for your comments.

Hi Maggie, we tried the microwave and it would only run for about 5 seconds before it threw the trip switch on the EHU and the same with the electric kettle.

Mind you I do love my little old whistling gas kettle so that was no problem.

I had looked at different styles before settling on this one. Previously I'd always said I didn't want white interior woodwork but as soon as I stepped inside this one and saw the layout I was sold. I didn't care about anything else I just knew that this was 'the one'.

Mind you I do think that it is a shame the sofa can't recline a bit (for watching TV) so I'm on the look out for a couple of poufs (not sure how to spell it) so we can put our feet up on wet and windy days while watching sat TV or films ::bigsmile:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
In ours the single wardrobe in the bedroom will eventually become a double with slide door fronts and the wardrobe by the door will be given the chop down to the drawer then a couple of shelves built on top to hold the sky/dvdplayer and the tv on a bracket abovethe shelves but also standing on the top shelf, then the tv can be watched from the dinning area or the settee without looking up to the roof.

Wheelie

Free Member
Sep 26, 2009
Whitehill Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
2nd year
Hi Marion/ Mick
We have just bought an xtreme bunk house model, picking up in November, 4 days for the fresh and grey water i suppose that if you are using the 5er for showers and washing up etc its not too bad, did you manage to empty the grey and black waste on site? We cant wait to get ours and get out for the weekend.

Happy 5 ing

Neil and Jan

outlaw

Free Member
Feb 7, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
2 years
Hi, great to hear from another new 5th wheeler,we have the same model as you and spent last year touring the UK and then Spain and Portugal. Didn't have any problems with the M/wave or Kettle on hook ups in the UK and the kettle worked on sites as low as 4 Amps, the m/wave on anything above 5 Amp. Found the water use about the same as yours but the Grey water seemed to quickly o/flow into the shower tray if not empted regularly.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
How does the pick up cope with the weight ,does it have any adverse effect, and does it drag the consumption down much:thumb::thumb::thumb:I notice you pull it with a Nissan Navaro

Last edited:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
i dont tow with a nissan, i use an isuzu denver max for our rig and have got according to my clocks 22mpg when towing, thats been 2 trips to lincolnshire and one trip to somerset from cheshire, so i would be interested in what the nissans do as well. With our first 5ver we had a d22 nissan and got 16mpg towing but that was an older model, so changed it for the isuzu.

maggie

OP
OP
syranara

syranara

Free Member
Aug 15, 2008
Northfleet, Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
5th wheeler
Exp
Maggie, wow you are doing some alterations. I can see what you mean about the wardrobe by the door but I didn't realise there was enough room to make a double in the bedroom :whatthe: I like the idea of watching the TV without having to look up to the roof.

Neil & Jan, I bet you can't wait until November. The 4 days was with using everything like we would at home. We just wanted to see the shortest time that everything would last. Now we know where we have to be careful. Unfortunately there was nowhere to empty the waste on the site (the black waste dump area had a raised brick built disposal with no way of getting the 5er anywhere near it). We were only an hour from home so we just waited until we got home to empty them. The grey waste filled the shower base so we had to dispose of a bit of that but that was no problem.

Outlaw, the site was 5 Amp and the fridge/freezer was working off elec (guess we could have flicked it over to gas). The microwave tripped the elec each time we tried and the kettle did once and then I got out my old favourite whistling gas kettle which I love anyway. The o/flow into the shower tray was a good indication that grey waste needed emptying (found the indicator lights still showed 3/4 full when in fact they were full).

Wasp, the Nav handled it all brilliantly. Not sure of the mpg as we didn't really do too long a trip but we wanted a truck that we could use daily instead of having a separate vehicle. We have a mountain top that we put on when using it daily and can either leave the 5th wheel in or take it out if we need more space. The weight of the 5er didn't seem to phase it at all and it was a smooth, but a little bouncier, journey than using the Nav on its own. We had one quite steep hill that we had to go up en route but it went up it with no problems and we only had to change down one gear as we neared the peak.

Think that's about it ::bigsmile:

Happy 5 ing to all

Marion & Mick

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
glad you like the 5er
we have 2 options for emptying the tanks (apart from the obvious)
We carry a macerator and some hose so that we can "pump" a short distance,
We also carry a waste hog thing, if you take this route watch that it is not too heavy to lift when emptying into a raised dump point !!
Nigel & Pamala

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back