First France Trip

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by johnp10, May 2, 2011.

1. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

I've taken all of June off work, allowing a decent holiday period for myself and Management.
    Never been to France with a MH before.
    The only plan so far is:
    Either to Calais, Dunkirk or Zeebrugge (dependant upon fuel prices).... off the port...turn right (south)......? Then back for Alnwick meet.
    Any suggestions for a chilled, hopefully sunny, few weeks, places, sites, etc?
    Not bothered greatly about driving distances.
    Any suggestions welcomed.

Edit:
    Need to go where Munchie hasnt been, would like to eat at some point.

2. laneside

laneside Funster

We will be a month in front of you and will try to report our progress.

We will still be there when you get there so we may even get chance to arrange a meet.

We only have our first fout nights planned, the rest like you will be a suck it and see jobbie. We are sure to have some good places to report and you may be able to make some use of our experiences.

Lynda and I have been before but as you may have read Ken and Steph (Ksebruce) are coming along with us and it is their first trip, so they will be good to compare notes with.

Bon Voyage

3. Jim

Jim Ringleader

We never plan a thing, the country is so big, the roads are so empty, and the campsites and aires are abundant, find an area you want to explore, there will be campsites/aires right there, esp in June, no need to be a slave to a plan or itinerary, you'll love it:thumb:

4. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

Thanks Alan / Jim, my kind of plan so far.
    Books to get?
    ACSI and "All the Aires"?

5. laneside

laneside Funster

Thems the two that we have and someone will be alnog soon telling you of a French book of aires and of course French Passion.

If you search about on here Mel (Heyupluv) has listed some brilliant aires and as we speak now he is down just beyond the Gulf of Morbiham

6. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

The acsi DVD has been invaluable. No need for a book but we do use that as a back up. We didnt.plan anything. The DVD keeps track of our mileage and the time it took to get there. We haven't used an aire yet but that's personal choice at Terry is not sure about them plus we need electric to charge our bikes and we like the comforts that having a ehu brings. We have propane at the moment but as we can't replace it over here we have been very careful not to leave it on gas parked up anywhere and get to a site with electric and then explore from there on our bikes. We can do around 25miles a day on them if we want and just lock them up in a town and explore
    You won't be disappointed with the food here. It is so different and yummy. The roads are brilliant and we love it so much we are even planning on coming back in the autumn. It's going to be too hot for us soon anyway but we are here till the end of June and are already planning our next trip.
    We will look into refillable gas bottles for our next trip and an inverter to charge our bikes as we already have a90w solar panel on the roof. Also want a Dome fitted for ease of finding satellite..
    The roads are a plweasure to drive on and are not looking forward to getting back to the madness of Britains roads. Have fun, might meet you here on our tour. Look out for a great big dragon on the bonnet with Cymru written underneath. That will be us,give us a wave!!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Oi :Angry:

8. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

Have you run out of the food you took away with you?

Or have you hardly touched it, now that you've found the French actually do know a little about food.........:BigGrin:

9. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Hi John, we will look out for you,:BigGrin: we cross with Norfolkline on the 26th May and spend 6 weeks following our nose.:Wink::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1: Bob.

10. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

Not eaten it all. lots still in freezer. Just enjoying lots of different tastes in French food.like kids in sweet shops. Trying lots of different stuff,even the baguette tastes different here

11. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

Give my favourite a try.........

Rillettes is a preparation of meat similar to pate. Originally made with pork, the meat is cubed or chopped, salted heavily and cooked slowly in fat until it is tender enough to be easily shredded, and then cooled with enough of the fat to form a paste. They are normally used as spread on bread or toast (my favourite) and served at room temperature. Buy it in small pots either at the charcuterie, or in the supermarche. Yum yum pigs bum.

You're not yet ready for andouillettes..............................:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 3
  12. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

It depends what you like but if it was me planning a 4 week trip places I would head for would be Brittany, The Dordogne, Lot and Tarn or the Rhone Alps or maybe the Pyrenees.

Our first trip was in June 3 years ago. We bought the ACSI book but only used it once as we discovered most of the Aires were free and offered great freedom and most of the municiples we came across were only about 10 Euros anyway out of season.

• Like Like x 1
  13. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:....Yep you need a few experiences first , a bit like tasting all sort of english food for a foreigner before having a go with haggis :Laughing::Laughing:. But i suppose for you english the most difficult thing to eat would be , snails or even frogs'legs:RollEyes::RollEyes::BigGrin:

Amicalement

Frankie:Wink:

• Like Like x 3
  14. laneside

laneside Funster

Oi the last time I tried frogs legs when I was in France upon reading the label it said----------------------------------- Produce of China

At least Haggis are still made in Scotland---- I think

• Like Like x 1
  15. christine1310

christine1310 Read Only Funster

Hi,
    There is always the temptation to see too much of France in one go. Pick one area and have a good look around. For example in October last year we followed the Canal du Midi staying on aires. The Charente-Maritime area is great for both countryside and seaside.

You can find details of aires here http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm and municipal campsites here http://www.camping-municipal.org/ plus details of where we have been here http://www.mycamperstops.com/

Have a great time, you won't be disappointed with France.

16. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

Hi Bob, Like Munchie and Alan, we have actually met, (gave ne a plug in at Newark) so will know you if we see you.

For others, will have to look for the smiley badges.

17. TDH

TDH Funster

There's a great garage forecourt, just outside Dunkirque, where we and The Rosabella have just spent the last week! Very cheap as well!! In fact, Rosie will probably still be there when you rock up! :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  18. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

As a Scot I'm actually not that keen on haggis so no surprise that

andouillettes = disgusting.......:cry:

cuisses de grenouilles = not bad, but more meat required:Eek!:

escargots = delicious. yum yum, lots of garlic butter and fresh bread to soak it up......:thumb:

I want some NOW!!:thumb:

19. Loujess

Loujess Read Only Funster

Glad to see you still have you sense of humour.

We are off straight after Thetford, around 1 June and plan on going to the Vendee. Not sure which particular part, or all of them since we have around four weeks. Charente Maritime sounds good. Maybe we'll see you or others there. We stayed mostly on aires last year when we were travelling around but plan to find one or two ACSI sites on the west side this time and settle down for a week or two at a time.

I think it is very true not to go too far on one trip since you don't really take in each area you stop at. :BigGrin::BigGrin:

Ivy

20. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

2 Weeks to go !!!

It's got to be the Aquitaine area for me !! Miles of beaches and long FLAT cycle rides through the pine forests to find the local markets for that days fodder ! :thumb: