Finally decided to take a year out!!! (1 Viewer)

decameron07

Free Member
Feb 26, 2017
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Finally decided to take a year out!!!
Absolutely petrified but also excited.
Sold the house, agreed with work on a break. Now busily trying to get everything ready to go and see Europe.
Looking for tips from anyone who has done this.
It will be our first time abroad in our Autotrail Tracker FB. My husband and our staffie who is currently getting his pet passport and injections.
What to take and what not to take? Do's and don'ts?
Looking at taking the tunnel in June/July and travelling down(slowly) towards Germany/Croatia and then where ever the road takes us. Heading towards Spain for winter.
Any routes you could suggest.
I'm sure I will be back to ask more questions.
Many thanks Tracey

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Good on you for following your dream, have a look under people's signatures, some have really good links to their travels and places to stay and travel idea, for eg. @hilldweller on Italy and @Techno along with others, keep asking questions I'm sure you will have an amazing adventure, enjoy.

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Good luck,hopefully we'll be a few weeks behind you, don't plan just wander then you can't n get lost

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
take your time follow your nose or instinct, maybe better still follow the better weather forecast

have a great time, you will make many of us very jealous of your plans :)(y)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
best not sell the house . if you want to come back prices of houses could have risen alot . lots of expats are heading back to uk . house prices could rise.
but yes go on have fun . its a big world out there but getting smaller every year.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Be very careful !!!!!!!!!!
Some years ago my wife and I did just that. Packed up, sold up and went off, via Dover, for a 12 month trip.
17 years later we arrived back in the UK.
You have been warned.

Only ever one regret - we should've kept going. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
best not sell the house . if you want to come back prices of houses could have risen alot . lots of expats are heading back to uk . house prices could rise.
but yes go on have fun . its a big world out there but getting smaller every year.

I was going to make a similar comment about selling if coming back to the job, but he says he has sold already.

Apr 23, 2015
berkshire
Funster No
MH
autocruise gleneagle
Exp
since 2005
Buttons - please change your avatar - gives me the goals every time I see it!! LOL just saying....

OP
OP
D

decameron07

Free Member
Feb 26, 2017
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Thanks for all the best wishes. It is a bit of a gamble selling the house but couldn't find nothing else to buy. Now just seems right to do the year out. Might not be a year maybe less maybe more. Who knows, life's a gamble.
Looking forward to it if not a little apprehensive.
Not really thinking of returning as we haven't gone yet but will rent on our return.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for all the best wishes. It is a bit of a gamble selling the house but couldn't find nothing else to buy. Now just seems right to do the year out. Might not be a year maybe less maybe more. Who knows, life's a gamble.
Looking forward to it if not a little apprehensive.
Not really thinking of returning as we haven't gone yet but will rent on our return.

So what are you going to do with the capital from the sale?

Maybe you have all this covered, but have not said so on here.

It would not be sensible to let it sit in the bank for a year in which you lose, in real terms, whatever the inflation rate will be. On top of which you might have lost any capital gain on the main CGT-free asset that anyone has - one's principal residence.

Do you have an investment plan for the capital? If not, maybe you need some financial advice.

Geoff

MrsMac59

Free Member
Mar 18, 2017
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
New owner
Well done, Tracey. Just decide not to stress about things but enjoy the journey - the learning as well as the travelling. We're getting our house ready for sale right now and then, like you, plan to store anything we haven't sold and go for a wander. We did, however, buy a house in Spain three years ago so we have a base when we want one. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of the continent of Europe but definitely need to make sure my sewing machine and knitting needles go somewhere in the garage where I can get to them from under the bed, ha ha

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back