Filling up fresh water tank with a Whale connection (1 Viewer)

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
On my Bailey 765 filling the tank is via a Whale connector to a mains tap ,when on site is there anyway that filling can be done from a container .Ive seen Bailey caravans doing this but when I tried doing it nothing happened . Do I need a different piece of kit ?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It might depend on the type of entry fitting you have.

image.jpeg
This one has the electrical connector that you can see on the plug and that will drive the pump that fits in a barrel to pump to the onboard tank But you need the entry fitting with e connectors.

Martin

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Our Approach 625 came with a submersible pump and I use that to fill from a bucket.
But first you have to curse and swear at both the Whale system (the invention of the devil) and Bailey stupid logic.
To get power to the water connection you have to go to the control panel and select "fill internal tank".
It will then say no can do unless you switch on the internal pump.
Switch on the pump and start again.
Now the submersible pump says its self priming, it isn't so put the pump in the bucket first and then connect to the MH.
When the bucket in empty there is no way to switch off the pump other than disconnecting it.
Your now ready to get another bucketful, but what do you do with the pump as you are left holding it.
I open the gas locker door and hang it on that, alternatively hang it over the door mirror.
When full the pump stops, you have part of a bucket of water left, so you think I run some water for washing up and it will take some more into the internal tank.
Wrong again! Even though it made you switch on the internal pump it doesn't work while using the filling system.

Dumb or what!
We had the Whale system on our Elddis and when we say it on the Bailey it was almost a deal breaker.
Apparently Elddis have seen the light and stopped using it, maybe Bailey will wakeup one day.

Edited to correct bad copy and paste.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Our Approach 625 came with a submersible pump and I use that to fill from a bucket.

----------------

Dumb or what!
We had the Whale system on our Elddis and when we say it on the Bailey it was almost a deal breaker.
Apparently Elddis have seen the light and stopped using it, maybe Baily will wakeup on day.hang it over the

Original quote abbreviated

I think it is a brilliant system, just plug it in and drop it into an aquaroll, the switch is above the entry point fitting which is in a services locker, we have looked at vans with nothing more that a connection for a hose now that is "dumb" in my book.

Martin

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016

View attachment 118202 This one has the electrical connector that you can see on the plug and that will drive the pump that fits in a barrel to pump to the onboard tank But you need the entry fitting with e connectors.

Martin

We have this system on ours - we simply dip the pump into anything containing water & plug the other end into the socket on the side of the MH & it automatically pumps the water aboard.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
We have this system on ours - we simply dip the pump into anything containing water & plug the other end into the socket on the side of the MH & it automatically pumps the water aboard.
Yes the Elddis implementation is better and more logical, but it does have a couple of downsides.
Elddis have a solenoid valve in the input line so if you have a private tap in your pitch you can connect the water supply and it will keep the tank 100% full. Letting in more water as you use it. The downside is that its a normally closed valve and therefore if the tank is anything but 100% full the valve is powered. This takes around a tenth of an Amp, and will drain the battery over time. So you get used to switch off the 12V system completely when parked and unused. However despite draining the water system as best I could, there was clearly a bit of water still in the valve. Over winter frosts then destroyed the valve. Had to replace it at over fifty quid before I could get any water in the tank.
I hate the system with a passion.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Yes the Elddis implementation is better and more logical, but it does have a couple of downsides.
Elddis have a solenoid valve in the input line so if you have a private tap in your pitch you can connect the water supply and it will keep the tank 100% full. Letting in more water as you use it. The downside is that its a normally closed valve and therefore if the tank is anything but 100% full the valve is powered. This takes around a tenth of an Amp, and will drain the battery over time. So you get used to switch off the 12V system completely when parked and unused. However despite draining the water system as best I could, there was clearly a bit of water still in the valve. Over winter frosts then destroyed the valve. Had to replace it at over fifty quid before I could get any water in the tank.
I hate the system with a passion.

Fair comment - we never have a permanent external water supply attached, we simply top it up now & again, so no battery flattening issues, as for winter freezing issues - thanks for the tip (y)

OP
OP
Melvin

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
Well I've tried all the above and I do have the plug with the electrical connections but there isn't a pump on the end , just an open end of hose.I e mailed Whale and they asked wether the socket had an adjuster screw and wether the socket had an internal yellow box ,neither of which I have .So I've sent them pics ,hoping for some clarification .

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

I think it is a brilliant system, just plug it in and drop it into an aquaroll, the switch is above the entry point fitting which is in a services locker, we have looked at vans with nothing more that a connection for a hose now that is "dumb" in my book.

Martin
What is easier and more foolproof than a watering can and a tank you can fill by just removing the cap,,,simples nothing to go wrong,,,BUSBY.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Whale connection? Do you mean this sort?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
What is easier and more foolproof than a watering can and a tank you can fill by just removing the cap,,,simples nothing to go wrong,,,BUSBY.
Got that as well and it works OK I can even put a hose pipe in the hole if there is a tap handy, but that the point in my experience there is nor always a tap, I can pull a 40 litre aqua roll across a field or tow it behind my bike is needs be.

Martin

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Got that as well and it works OK I can even put a hose pipe in the hole if there is a tap handy, but that the point in my experience there is nor always a tap, I can pull a 40 litre aqua roll across a field or tow it behind my bike is needs be.

Martin
Unfortunately i don't have the room for an aquaroll in my small van,,,BUSBY.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I have NEVER understood why MH manufacturers use this stupid system, sorry but if you really WANT to pump water into your MH from a bucket, Aquaroll etc you can easily do it with a basic pump and piping into a standard water tank inlet (ie no daft connectors needed, just a hole to put water in!). To have the Whale type system as the ONLY means to fill a water tank is just plain daft! When we were first considering change to a PVC back in 2010 we looked at one with this system and the first question I asked was ... can it be changed to a normal fill point! I certainly would NOT buy a MH or PVC with one of these system fitted unless it could be changed!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
When the bucket in empty there is no way to switch off the pump other than disconnecting it.
Your now ready to get another bucketful, but what do you do with the pump as you are left holding it.
An alternative is to have a collapsible 20L water carrier and fill that then pour it into the bucket and let the pump do it's work whilst you go and get another water carrier full - quicker and easier and no worrying about where to hang your 'dangler'!

Microchip

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
Haven't Bailey or Eldis heard of a motorhome service point where you just use a hose to fill it up?
What a strange way to fill a motorhome? .how do they get on in France when you pay for 100 ltrs a time, surely they don't use an aqu roll??????

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
An alternative is to have a collapsible 20L water carrier and fill that then pour it into the bucket and let the pump do it's work whilst you go and get another water carrier full - quicker and easier and no worrying about where to hang your 'dangler'!
But! as I said the pump ain't much good at self priming, so unless you can get to the tap, fill the uncollapsed bucket and return to the bucket before its empty then its not very good.
After having the fixed gas tank installed I use the old gas locker to store the bucket and pump so its door is open. Dangling over the door works for me.
My point was that I believe the Whale system is crap to start with and Bailey have installed it in a stupid way. Especially when the KISS method of a plain water inlet and a watering can does the job perfectly.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)

Martin

Me too, I carry an old aquaroll and two trips more or less fills the tank, that's only when I haven't stopped off at the service point and filled vi the hose using the plug in connector. Watering can? :eek: I'd be all b****y day!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
What a strange way to fill a motorhome? .how do they get on in France when you pay for 100 ltrs a time, surely they don't use an aqu roll??????
The trouble with 80/100 litres is that it is based on time I believe so if you are not careful with your hose selection (not small bore and squirt nozzle on the end) you might end up with half the amount you thin you are getting.

Martin

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Me too, I carry an old aquaroll and two trips more or less fills the tank, that's only when I haven't stopped off at the service point and filled vi the hose using the plug in connector. Watering can? :eek: I'd be all b****y day!
Doesn't take long with a 14 litre watering can,,,,Got all the time in the world when you are retired and the exercise does you good,,,BUSBY:):)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The trouble with 80/100 litres is that it is based on time I believe so if you are not careful with your hose selection (not small bore and squirt nozzle on the end) you might end up with half the amount you thin you are getting.

Martin
Normally either based on time or quantity. Not seen both. Either way just drive up to it, attach the hose (always try to use my own if possible), put your money/jeton in and fill.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016

View attachment 118202 This one has the electrical connector that you can see on the plug and that will drive the pump that fits in a barrel to pump to the onboard tank But you need the entry fitting with e connectors.

Martin

When we remove the electrical plug in connector from the water fill socket the pump stops & we don't fiddle with any switches in the MH.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We had the Whale system on our Autosleeper. We had no trouble filling up using a hose connected to the whale fill hose and the good thing is, it shuts itself off when the tank is full. We could fill 120 litres in 10 minutes, the standard time we got at an aire service point for €2, but we rarely paid and usually had free water. Only uses a campsite twice and had a hose long enough to reach the nearest tap. Never could see the point of getting a watering can but we never stayed in one place long enough to run out of water.
Our current van has a standard fill point and a permanent water connection so we have the best of both worlds now.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I retrofitted this type of system into my Pilote - together with a Heos filler cap courtesy of @Wombles . With a connector on the Heos, I can either fill through hose as at home or via the Fiamma 23 litre roll tank when away. Works brilliantly

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
@peterc10 our 2015 Elddis 175 has 100l onboard freshwater tank and filler as per.....
20161110_135339.jpg

And is filled with a food grade hose. Perfect.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013

DigglyDog

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 620 SE
Exp
Why not fill it through the large screw top access point, usually under an inspection hatch in the floor..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back