Filling the water tank question

Discussion in 'Top Tips & Tricks' started by gazza280, Jan 22, 2014.

1. gazza280

gazza280 Read Only Funster

Hi Guys

I usually fill the water tank from inside the van but although I haven't used it much I need a new water hose for filling the tank when on sites or aires, but its easier and cheaper to buy a garden hose. I know its not food grade but when I use water in the van to make drinks, cooking etc I use fresh bottled water, because I don't trust a water source that I don't know.
    I use the water in the tank for washing, washing up etc. So buying a food grade hose is not a necessity.

I am off to Europe soon so I will need a hose to fill with water at an Aire, but what length do I need 5m, 10m? The one that I have now after it has untangled is 15m but whenever I have used the hose I have never needed any more than about 5 to 7 meters and the longer it is the more difficult it is to store.
    Also is fresh bottled water as readily available in France, Spain. I would presume it is, but is it much more expensive than the uk, ie: 99p for 5 litre bottle?

What I want to know is what others do.

Thanks Gary

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

I manage with 7m (stop sniggering at the back). We use a 25ltr container for drinking water and buy bottled water as well.

Not sure a hose is much use on French aires, the ones I've used have a domestic type tap (Hence container for water).

Most things are cheaper than the UK in Spain. France I find prices similar to UK.

Enjoy your trip
    Ed

3. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Hose

Most water in France is perfectly safe to drink, buy a food quality flat hose and cut a piece off it about four meters long. You will usually find this is long enough to reach taps on aires whist it is short enough to easily store away (Not on the roll of curse) Should you need a longer reach just use a push on connector and you will have the whole length to use. Make sure you take various connectors to fir the taps. Some are the ones that give water when pushed but stop after a few minutes. Thick velcro straps will keep these these pushed in when wrapped around them

Refill a 5 litre plastic water bottle from the same tap and this can be used in the kettle or, as in our case, as an emergency reserve. We have used out main tank water for everything without a problem for years, but if you don't but food grade hose you might get a plastic smell/taste to the water which is not nice.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  4. Viennese

Viennese Funster

I bought this (25ft) from Groupon:

Auto-Expanding Ultra Lightweight Hose: 25ft from £9.98, Free Delivery (Up to 50% Off)
    With its innovative tangle-free, kink-free design, this ultra lightweight hose grows up to three times its original length when it’s turned on. The auto-expanding and self-propelling design also automatically retracts after use for easy storage. Available in 25ft or 50ft lengths... There are several similar on Amazon, the Groupon one is no longer available.

Comes in a box the size of a box of tissues, but I haven't tried it yet! I don't worry about food quality because I never drink or cook with water from the tank. I have a 5 litre container for drinking etc.

Catherine

5. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

[HI]I have never bought bottled water in my life and never will.[/HI]
    We fill ours with a plastic watering can (10 ltrs ) and have used this method across europe. If there is a hose on site we use that, but check the end and sterilise it if needs be. We never travel with water in the tank, using a container of water (10 ltrs) stored in bathroom for use when we stop. Why carry 120 ltrs of water whilst driving as that's is about the weight of 2 extra people........ :Eeek:

• Like Like x 5
  6. Scattycat

Scattycat Funster

We've always used a garden type hose and never had any problems regarding taste.
    We also take a variety of connectors i.e. hose-lock type and the push-on type plus a number of different screw-on adaptors and have not had a problem so far connecting up to water supplies in France, Spain, Protugal or Morocco.
    I now carry 2x15 m coiled hosepipes so can reach most supplies and if I'm further away than they will stretch I carry a dedicated spare 10 litre petrol can which I find much easier to store than a watering-can that a lot of folks use.
    Like you I mostly use the water in the tank for washing etc. and use bottled water for drinking

7. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

We have two roll flat hoses bought at shows. Just like hook up cables you can't have too long. The roll flat ones are pretty flimsy but they get so little use it's not a problem. They are very good for storage.

Don't forget to buy a joint and a few adaptors.

8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I bought one of those on Fleetwood market last July and it hasn't killed us yet. We use a water filter jug.

We have a food quality cassette hose but it's a beggar to roll back onto the cassette even though I reduced its length.

• Like Like x 1
  9. WillH

WillH Funster

As Don Quixote says above, use a watering can, never gets tangled and is usually faster than untangling a hose, using it, then draining and tangling it up again.

Rgds
    Bill

• Like Like x 1
  10. Baldeagle7470

Baldeagle7470 Funster

Bottled water is cheap as chips in France if you don't buy Evian or similar,think without checking a 1.5 ltr bottle in Lidl is 17 cents,I just always pick up 6 pack.
    Got into the habit of not drinking tap water some years ago when our commune sent us a letter to say the nitrates were too high due to climatic conditions and not to drink it,haven't done since unless boiled.As an aside,never lived anywhere before with such a high level of calcaire (lime scale), have to clean kettle etc.every week with white wine vinegar but that's only cheap here also.Good luck with your pipe,oo er Mrs.:shout:

11. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

People have lived for hundreds of years without MAN MADE bottled water!!!!!!!!

PLEASE google bottled water and the HARM it does because of the chemicals within the MAN MADE plastic BOTTLE!!!!!!!!!!

Wait until someone comes up with the idea of bottled air you will be buying that as well.:cry:

• Like Like x 10
  12. rikfos

rikfos Funster

We have never bought bottled water in our lives and don't intend to start now
    I am 70, so far have never been ill but there is still time,
    Water is probably safer on the continent than here. Bottled water as far as I am concerned
    is a big con, the mark up is outrageous.

• Like Like x 3
  13. landscaper

landscaper Funster

Always used water for drinking from the tank until a food poisoning incident in 2011! Now just carry a large bottle of water which we will up from the site tap or from home. Found that in France, in particular, campers are not too fussy with which place they fill up with water and or dispose of chemical and grey waste. Couldnt be sure food poisoning was from our tank but have not risked it since!!! Easy to contaminate your tank from a source where someone has washed out their chemical tank yuck!

14. pandj

pandj Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  15. crizatuk

crizatuk

Re

I have been living in my van for the last three years and just use a regular garden hose to fill the tank up, occasionally I throw a few tabs in to sterilise the tank, Esp in Morocco but here in Spain just use there water straight from the tap. :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  16. Mastercamper

Mastercamper Read Only Funster

E Bay item N0 380695052313.

We have used one of these all over the UK for the last 15 months. Never failed. Under a tenner. Considering getting another to extend this one. Takes up no space and as long as you drain it, it rolls up perfectly.

17. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

Snap, we have the same, two roll flat hoses, cheap and cheerful, with a selection of connectors. We fitted an inline filter to our cold hab tap before our first trip to France, after seeing some of the numpties trying to rinse toilet cassette out at the fresh water taps! I was really glad we did.

One thing we did learn the hard way, some of the aires have water dispensers that gush the water out as soon as you have paid, no button to press when you ready. Colin had wet feet twice because of this :RollEyes: it was funny to see him hopping about tying to get the hose on or the container underneath the tap.

The only time we bought bottled water was when we were on an aire that had a faulty machine. Drove to a supermarket and bought the cheapest water we could find to put in the tank! think it was about 50 or 60 cents for 5 litres.

18. daisy mae

daisy mae Read Only Funster

Garden hose plastics can give off chemical reaction eventually, that is why food grade is recommended, I have the food grade to fill up at home and a watering can to use on site, never drank water out of the tanks unless it has been boiled, fill water containers from the site tap for drinking and the dogs water, found this has worked well over decades.

• Like Like x 1
  19. aba

aba

if you are bothered about drinking water from the tank the best option is a nature pure filter.
    or I suppose a cheap alternative would be a Britta filter jug although no where near as effective as the nature pure.

20. orridge

orridge Funster

dont forget spare hose adapters for when you Errm accidentally leave them attached to the tap in Brugge and wonder where there are at the next place to fill-up.