Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
newbie, but was caravanner for 20 years
Going away first time for a week in a while, but wont arrive first night until after dark. Should we fill on board water tank before we leave, or wait until we get there? Disadvantages and advantages to both I guess, but what are they please?

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Depends where you are going! Do you know what to expect at the other end? Just been to a CL and had to fill the whole tank with the watering can as the tap was way too far away to fill with the hose! Weight of water will add to weight of van for travel and increase fuel consumption. Perhaps part fill as a compromise so you can use the loo and make drinks on your journey and have some left at the other end to get you started.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
If you can carry the weight---might as well fill up------if the weight is pushing a bit just put in 1/4 --1/2 a tank-----you only really need enough for the loo and food at night and TEA in the morning
Nigel & Pamala

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If you are going somewhere where you know you can fill up, a site for example, then I would travel with a few litres, enough to fill the kettle a couple of times and do the washing up and then fill up properly when you get there, especially if you're arriving at night. Fill it in the morning after a brew (y) The only times we've ever travelled full up is when we've known there wouldn't be any available at the destination.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
paul18

paul18

Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
How much is it likely to effect handling?

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
I think just fill up, it will affect the mpg a little, and I don't think you'll notice a difference in the handling, remember that's why you have a tank...

No worrying, no stress, no grief, just fill up .....

Have a great trip.....

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
another important thought, it depends on what you use the water for

we don't drink or cook with ours, but need it for toilet flush and washing (us and pots)

we have plenty of payload so I drive with mine full from home, or when moving on from a site, only leaving empty when going home

Handling, really cant say I have noticed anything, you might presume it would be worse if only half full, a lot will depend on how big your tank is and how heavy your MH is

Upvote 0
OP
OP
paul18

paul18

Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Forgive my ignorance, but can you explain what you mean by if you can carry the eeight?

Upvote 0

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Convenience ,do it before you go you don't want to be pissing about in the dark when you arrive !
Wherever we go I always run with full tanks even on long runs .The only problem I could see is if you are close to your weight limit before you fill up ,a full tank may tip you over.
If anything goes wrong en route or you change your plans,a full tank means your self sufficient .A full tank won't make any difference to handling .The extra fuel used ain't worth worrying about,.unless your the type of person who drives at 50 ,won't use the aircon and travels in a lorries slipstream to save a few pennies!

Vlad

Vlad

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Forgive my ignorance, but can you explain what you mean by if you can carry the eeight?

A litre of water weighs 1kg. So a full tank is 100 - 120kg. On a lot of motorhomes that will be more than enough to tip you over your maximum permitted weight - 3500kg or whatever.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
paul18

paul18

Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
How do you know your permitted and actual weight without going to a weigh station?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Your permitted will be on a weight plate on the vehicle somewhere, or failing that on your V5. For your actual weight you need to load up as you would if going away and go to a weigh bridge. Your manufactuer will quote a "mass in running order" figure but they all lie so it's worthless.

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We use our water for every thing and depending on the size of the tank how full would you need ours is about 120 lts so 70%would do us for a week end
Joe

Upvote 0
OP
OP
paul18

paul18

Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I have looked for a weight plate, and can find nothing, also couldnt see it on V5. Used to caravans where its usually by door

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
the W is next to the E so eight should read weight:)
We take just enough for emergencies only and take separate 20 ltrs fresh water for drinks/food.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
on your V5 its "Revenue Weight" in section 4 about a third of the way down.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
:Eeek:

How much is your road tax?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Your maximum weight will almost certainly be 3500kg then. It won't be any more than that because you would be paying the PHGV tax rate which is cheaper. It could possibly be less but unlikely. You really need to go to a weigh bridge to find out your actual weight.

Upvote 0

Wobby

Free Member
Aug 26, 2007
Hailsham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2005
We've always filled up, 100lts on our Exsis which has a payload of 900kg isn't over the top. We also drink and cook with the water, all be it after its passed through the excellant Nature pure purifier. I've haven't notice any difference in MPG with or without water on board, what's the point in having the tank and not useing it and I've never bought bottled water.

Wobby

Upvote 0
OP
OP
paul18

paul18

Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Mine is a fiat ducato base, should the kerb weight not be recorded somewhere as with a car?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Mine is a fiat ducato base, should the kerb weight not be recorded somewhere as with a car?

No, it's slightly different.

The manufacturer will quote a "mass in running order" weight which includes the vehicle, some diesel, some water and 75kg allowance for the driver. They all have different criteria. But the figure is worthless, ignore it. All manufacturers, especially European ones, are notorious for recording completely made up highly optimistic figures. The chances of it having any basis in reality are slim.

Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
You should really know the weight of the vehicle, not only to know how much you can safely load it but also to determine the correct tyre pressures. We've just added a tow bar and a bike rack and with 2 ebikes on board I'm still just under the 3500kg fully loaded and ready for the road but, and it's a worrying but, the extra weight on the rear has increased the margins between the front and rear axles and, having experienced it on the first van, it reduces the grip from the front drive wheels and makes pulling away in the wet and on hills more difficult.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you tell us exactly what your van is hopefully should be able to find the info online.
You will also need to check axle weights.

Upvote 0
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I don't really 'get' this thing about increased fuel consumption :rolleyes: The extra weight of an average water tank is much the same as an average person. It might be an issue if you are always accelerating and decelerating but otherwise unnoticeable.

I think if you worry about the weight of water then you might as well drive around with only a quarter tank of diesel too :rolleyes:

As for drinking water ............ we have always used our water tank for drinking and never had an issue over the last two years (over 400 nights away) :)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back