Fibreglass repairs

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by timdownieuk, Jun 16, 2016.

1. timdownieuk

timdownieuk Funster

I have a distraught wife. After having beautifully reverse parked the van in the drive she got out to check the position, but forgot the handbrake. Getting so easy to do these days if you routinely drive a car with an automatic handbrake.

Anyway, it rolled back a few feet and hit the gutters resulting in an approximately 6" crack in the fibreglass rear moulding near the top. There are no loose flappy bits.

Any ball-park figures for repair would be much appreciated.

Tim

2. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Are you sure it is fibreglass? Would be more like a crunch than a crack and you would expect damage to fibreglass to be a bit raggy, unless it's just a Gelcoat crack.

Martin

3. timdownieuk

timdownieuk Funster

Pretty sure. There were fibres visible at the crack, one side of which was displaced (until I tapped it back into position).

Covered it in duct tape before I remembered to take a photo. ;-)

Tim

4. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

OK I will go with that, just I thought it was a clean crack, it just needs a bit of polyester resin running into the crack if its all back in shape and then ideally a gel coat of matching colour to finish it off, alternatively a bit of filler and paint after the polyester resin has stabilised the crack. A half decent body shop (or boatyard) should be able to do it no problem but make sure they stabilise the damage with the polyester resin, otherwise do that bit yourself when it's all nice and dry and get the bodyshop to do filler and paint.

Not a difficult job so tell the good lady not to worry, and to put the b----y handbrake on next time(y)

Martin

5. timdownieuk

timdownieuk Funster

Thanks. I'll get on the phone for some quotes.

6. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Best to get a boat repairer to do it they will do the job properly and match the gel coat a car body shop will fill and spray it.
    Still waiting to get my front end repaired all the boat guy around here are still busy at the moment, mine is a bit more extensive than yours looks like it's going to cost me 600-700.

7. goneoff

goneoff Funster

I put a three inch+ crack in the moulding on the rear of our Rapido, did this reverting too close to a tree. Anyway had it fixed at home by a local guy "caravan medic" it's a franchised business. My rear moulding was plastic most are moulded plastic now, perhaps yours is also. Cost me £200.00 and the guy did a great job just can't see where the damage was no matter how hard I look. He used several hot stainless steel staples to stitch the split to stop any movement then filled and painted. Hope this is a guide for you.

• Useful Useful x 1