Fibre Optic Broadband help please (1 Viewer)

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Hiya everyone

Have just been asked by BT to take part in their fibre optic broadband trial.

Anyone already done this or know fully what it entails?

Is there a catch?

Whats the difference between fibre optic run broadband and the broadband I already have that presumably runs through the telephone lines.

Will my electric be tapped into to run this will my electric bill be increased etc.

Any comments and help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We are on fibre optic through Virgin (was NTL beforehand and Comcast before that) and have been for years.

As far as I understand it BT are rolling out fibre optic cabling because the existing copper (or even aluminium) wire network is not up to the job for broadband speeds.

There should be no difference in electricity costs because you will either keep the same equipment or have the modem replaced with an equivalent. I don't know whether BT would charge more for the service on the grounds that it will be faster but they will be able to tell you that up front.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I'll have 12 1st months worth per annum please :thumb:

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
It depends on what they're offering - is it FTTC (Fibre to the cabinet) or FTTP (Fibre to the premises)?

FTTP has the potential of being extremely fast since they will run the fibre optic cable into your home and bypass your existing copper phone line. FTTC is faster than normal broadband but the speed will depend on the distance between your home and the green cabinet that will have (or soon will) appeared in your street.

You can check what broadband is available or planned in your area by looking here http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker

OP
OP
ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
From what I gather its fibre optic broadband to the premises

thanks for your comments so far xxxx

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GeraldandAnnie

Free Member
Aug 6, 2007
Essex coast
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2006
You can check what broadband is available or planned in your area by looking here http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker
Thanks for this link. I knew BT were doing things in our area by the planning department requests at our local council. According to Samknows, we're getting FTTC by 1 Mar 2012. As we're currently at the end of a 4km piece of copper cable from the nearest exchange, this is good news for us.

Gerald

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back