Fibre Optic Broadband help please

Discussion in 'Computers' started by ourcampersbeentrashed, Oct 6, 2011.

1. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

Hiya everyone

Have just been asked by BT to take part in their fibre optic broadband trial.

Anyone already done this or know fully what it entails?

Is there a catch?

Whats the difference between fibre optic run broadband and the broadband I already have that presumably runs through the telephone lines.

Will my electric be tapped into to run this will my electric bill be increased etc.

Any comments and help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We are on fibre optic through Virgin (was NTL beforehand and Comcast before that) and have been for years.

As far as I understand it BT are rolling out fibre optic cabling because the existing copper (or even aluminium) wire network is not up to the job for broadband speeds.

There should be no difference in electricity costs because you will either keep the same equipment or have the modem replaced with an equivalent. I don't know whether BT would charge more for the service on the grounds that it will be faster but they will be able to tell you that up front.

3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Beware Greeks and BT bearing gifts !

Fibreoptic is the future, GOOD. Just look at the small print. Usually Only 2s 6d a MONTH for 1 month then £10,756 a day.

4. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

I'll have 12 1st months worth per annum please :thumb:

5. Linda and Steph

Linda and Steph Funster

It depends on what they're offering - is it FTTC (Fibre to the cabinet) or FTTP (Fibre to the premises)?

FTTP has the potential of being extremely fast since they will run the fibre optic cable into your home and bypass your existing copper phone line. FTTC is faster than normal broadband but the speed will depend on the distance between your home and the green cabinet that will have (or soon will) appeared in your street.

You can check what broadband is available or planned in your area by looking here http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker

• Like Like x 1
  6. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

From what I gather its fibre optic broadband to the premises

thanks for your comments so far xxxx

7. GeraldandAnnie

GeraldandAnnie Read Only Funster

Thanks for this link. I knew BT were doing things in our area by the planning department requests at our local council. According to Samknows, we're getting FTTC by 1 Mar 2012. As we're currently at the end of a 4km piece of copper cable from the nearest exchange, this is good news for us.

Gerald

8. PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop Funster Life Member

It was rolled out up here last year - our son has it in his house - much better than the old system - don't ask me any geeky questions though :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1: