Fiat Ducato 130 Multyjet gearbox problems (1 Viewer)

D

DL42846

Deleted User
I have a 2009 as above which has only done 24 thousand miles. I have lost synchromesh between first and second. I have done various searches on the internet and seen I am not the only one to have problems. Some even as low as 6 thousand miles.
I'm told its the same gearbox as the Citroen and Peugeot. I was talking to a mechanic for Citroen who said they do have lots of problems with the box. A home tire fitting guy came round to fit some new tires to my van said he had to have a complete gear box fitted at 31 thousand miles ( 50,000 kilometers) to his Citroen van.

It seems Fiat have had this problem for some time. What I'm trying to find out if anyone has had a gearbox repaired is there some sort of fix to make sure this doesn't happen again within another 23,000 miles. Checking out ebay there appears to be loads of dealers selling Synchromesh repair kits suggesting they are Original makers parts, who the hell wants a part that doesn't last?
It has been suggested to me to try Molyslip gearbox oil. I have ordered some and will try it out.
I can get buy with the gearbox, but its just annoying. When I think of my Mercedes Sprinter van which has covered 750,000 kilometers and still going strong without any major problems. And its driven fully loaded most of the time and always in a rush to make deadlines all over France.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Even my lawnmower has Molyslip in. Along with van gearbox, PAS, engine ...................

wizza

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
8 years
Have repaired a lot of Peugeot gearboxes on boxer some for synco or bearing noise, is it's not cheap if out of warranty it's about 16 hours labour to repair plus parts

OP
OP
D

DL42846

Deleted User
Have repaired a lot of Peugeot gearboxes on boxer some for synco or bearing noise, is it's not cheap if out of warranty it's about 16 hours labour to repair plus parts
It's 2009 although only 24,000 miles. At a guess I would say its out of warranty. I have been quoted 1000€. What I am trying to find out is if there is a fix so it wont happen again in another 24,000 miles.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Check for water in G/Box, common prob, common symptoms to what you already have

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We had around 22k on our previous 130hp Ducato and I had no problems with the gear box.

Maybe because I never rush around and usually are the slowest moving item on most roads we use.

But I love the mountains and the gearbox has had a reasonable workout.

When I am parked I have always had a cover which covers the bonnet vents and stops rain water getting into the engine bay.

Maybe water in the gearbox could be a factor.

Jul 27, 2011
Kilmun, Dunoon
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sport TI
Exp
Since 2012
40K on our 2009 Knauss Fiat Ducato 130 multijet when without warning fourth gear was totally lost. Gearbox repaired in Glasgow with a new clutch fitted. Just shy of £1,700. Water ingress via the window scuttle interface now cured just leaving the water getting in via the air intake seal. From another forum the Fiat garage said they are unduly concerned as the water soon evaporates on delivery vans. I leave a paint roller tray on top of the engine when stationary.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back