Fiat Ducato 12v sockets

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by injebreck99, Nov 13, 2012.

1. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

I have 2 12v dash sockets on my Swift Bolero, one is he cigar lighter, next to it is the accessory socket, says max 180 amp on it, mine is only live when the ignition is switched on, is this normal, if so, what good is it , I wanted to plug a small solar panel into it occasionally, or use it for charging when not on EHU, is it easy to convert it to full time live.:Confused:

2. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

If it is only live with the ignition on, then it is relay controlled. MYSELF, If I were planning on using it to charge the engine battery, I would run a seperate suppy to it fused, having said that, you may just as well leave it well alone, and run a supply from the engine battery to either another gig lighter placed on the dash or even in the glove box.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

I believe you have misread the amperage of the socket, no wat is it anywhere near 180amp. more likely its 180 watt so 15 amp

converting to permanent live is simple enough, just disconnect the feed at the back of the socket and replace with a suitably fused and thickness cable from the battery. However you need to remember it will be easy to drain the battery inadvertantly if you leave anything plugged in

4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

It's there to protect you from yourself. But if you find a half decent auto-electrician he could pull out the relay that switches it and replace it with a fixed link. From memory each socket has it's own relay.

5. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

And even at 15 amps the contact area is pretty small and quite possibly a potential fire hazard !

I would not use any cigar socket for more than a few amps tops

6. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

Fiat Ducato sockets

I have now used a accessory cigar lighter socket wired to a live feed on the fuse box and secured under the dash, ready for occasional use, thanks for all the replies. :thumb:

7. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

You will only be charging your engine battery, and not your leisure, so will make little difference when not on hook up if you are intending to recharge your habitation use.

The reason they put these on ignition, is as someone already said, to protect you from yourself. You should not have anymore that 3 outlets on a cigarette/powerpoint. By putting one on ignition, they limit the possibility of overloading the socket.

You can add one direct to your leisure for solar charging, fused and with a suitable cable for charging the leisure when off ehu.

8. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

9. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Why not use crocodile clips to connect the solar panel directly to the engine battery's terminals?

Don't make the solar panel too small if you want any worthwhile charge outside summer.

10. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

I wanted a more permanent fixture, but it can be removed in minutes leaving no trace.