Fiat Base Vehicle Conundrum

Discussion in 'Fiat' started by calculad, Nov 20, 2009.

1. calculad

calculad

As a prospective buyer of a newish (2001-)motorhome.I am getting the impression that Fiat as a base vehicle are not rated very highly by users.
    However motorhome manufacturers seem to use them a lot.
    Please can someone explain this paradox.
    Cheers

2. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

In one word price. They get them at BOGOF prices.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

We have a 2003 registered Fiat 2L JTD. Can't fault it. And that includes a really good look underneath during MOT. I noticed a bit of rust this year so I've just thrown £25 of waxoyl on it.

It's the 2006+ juddergate FIATs that are causing heartaches.

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

As Dave said .. price,

but there is more to it than that, as far as I know Fiat are the only van maker who produce a chassis specifically for the motorhome market, at one time it was the only front wheel drive van, this made it easy to lengthen or use with an ALKO chassis .. that's why most of the older Hymers have Fiat running gear ..They can also make them cheaper due to the bulk orders by converters..

There have been problems with the new Fiat, water ingress to the engine bay, reverse gear juddering, but the older models seem to be pretty good, engine wise they are as good as any and better than some..

I wouldn't hesitate to buy an older Fiat based mh, but would be very wary of new one, that said, many owners are overjoyed and as I have no first hand experience I cannot make an objective judgement ..

jim

5. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

I have a 2008 2.3 x250 and it is the best driving Euro van bar none. It is unbelievably stable in all conditions. The torque is fantastic, you can almost stop at a roundabout and pull away effortlessly in third. Yes mine has the dreaded reverse judder and am awaiting Fiat to sort it out. I take the view "how often and how far do you reverse a motorhome?" At the end of the day the benefits outway the downfalls in my view. I have had two of the older 2ltr and 2.3 Fiats and they were also good albeit not as stable as the x250 as it has a wider chassis. Would I buy another Yes :thumb:

6. peter marshall

peter marshall

Fiat Base MH

I have had a 2006 reg Fiat MH, a Swift bessacarr which gave me no troubles at all, I now have a Chausson welcome 76,2009 Fiat with the wider wheel base and 6 gears and the difference in the drive and road holding is very noticeable in the new model, I have not yet had the judder so hopefully its not on this vehicle, but if it comes Fiat can fix it, I would have an other no problems. Pete:thumb::thumb:

7. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

I think the above should answer your questions, I sell them and will buy in or take in part exchange any Fiat apart from the very old ones as they are not really a resale van for us.

Peter

8. ralph-dot

ralph-dot Read Only Funster

I have had two Fiat cars and one Motorhome, love them all

9. WillH

WillH Funster

I go along with Ken & Steph & peter above, the 2008 x250 is really good to drive, very stable, economical etc. I put mine on a soft verge once under max braking and she stopped in a straight line, no fuss.

Rgds
    Bill

10. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

At the risk of making enemies I love my Fiat it drives better than any Ford Merc or Renault
    in my honest opinion, drive some rather than read about them then you will know yourself:thumb:

11. stagman

stagman Deleted User

[If you don't include Fiat in your search then you will miss some very nice vans and your choice would be very limited .:thumb:

12. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

I think this is the crux of the matter. Due to the judder and in the early days the water ingress in the scuttle many people read about this and formed their opinions. I was an electrician driver in the army, I have driven for Tarmac (8 leggers) and for a while buses, so I am not without experience in all types of vehicles. The Fiat is a fantastic vehicle and I agree with the above. The engine is a great work horse, good for 300000miles at least and as has been said the new chassis is specifically designed for motorhomes. Ford, Renault and Merc all have their problems as a search on the web will show.
    In saying this there have been a few cases of knackered gearboxes and burned out clutches. But I wouldn't mind betting that other marques have a few similar cases and I sympathise with those owners.:Smile:

13. thestoneroller

thestoneroller Read Only Funster

My M/H is a fiat base alko moncayo 2.8 on an 04 plate, no problems here,excellent van, drives well too, would recomend to anybody, but thats my opinion,
    Alot depends on what interior you are looking for, for instance if its a ford with all your requirements inside then go for it, same with a merc and so on, at the end of the day it all depends on what you want from the internal of the m/h, the base vehicle in my opinion is neither here or there again like i said thats just my opinion.

good hunting:Smile:

14. jezport

jezport Funster

I have been a Ford man upto recently. I now have a 2.8jtd 2005 Ducato on an alko tag chassis, this replaced my 2.0tdci transit. The fiat is a nicer driving position with the dash mounted gear stick, the seats are comfier, the engine is quieter and more refined. The transit was a lot faster but I am pulling an extra ton now. The transit has a slightly better pedal position, but apart from that I prefer driving the Fiat.

15. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

my 2001 2.8td fiat with a wider rear track alko chassis and 5 speed box goes well enough and handles just fine but........

the same van/chassis/box setup with a 2.8jtd would be the cream on the cake.

cant chip a TD model and cruise is expensive for a cable version:Sad:

16. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

That's the downside John.. the upside is that it's a lot less likely to break down and if it does you don't need a nerd with a laptop to fix it ..

I know which one I would prefer to go 'off the beaten track' in :thumb:

jim

17. jezport

jezport Funster

I would agree that the 2.8jtd on the alko chassis handles amazing, just need to get mine remapped.

18. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

good point Jim....at least the old 'uns were fixable on the roadside.

19. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I have had several Fiats with no significant mechanical problems. The front wheel drive is likely to slip even on a bit of wet grass, and the're not as nice to drive as my current Merc, however the layout etc is more important than the base vehicle.:Wink:

There are probably just more complaints about Fiats because there are such a lot more of them out there than other base vehicles.:RollEyes:

An older Fiat is a lot easier to repair than a new one!

20. thestoneroller

thestoneroller Read Only Funster

mapped or chipped, considering myself, is it worth it ,has anybody had it done, and does it give you the extra mpg and performance.:Doh: